summer associate position and conflicts

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

summer associate position and conflicts

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:09 am

hey everyone - thanks in advance for your replies.

i've accepted a SA position at an IP firm doing litigation. recently, i was offered a part-time school year position working for a research company doing patent searches. first, would it be kosher to take this position given that i've already accepted my SA offer (the part-time position is strictly on an independent contractor basis with no expectation of permanent/post-semester employment). If so, it seems unlikely that there would be any conflicts, but would i have to do any sort of conflict-checking/disclosure steps? (sorry if this is a stupid questions - i'm not taking PRE until next semester...)

Re: summer associate position and conflicts

Postby Bosque » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:15 pm

Your firm likely will care, but only so far as clearing conflicts is concerned. So long as the conflicts clearance people clear you, you should be good.

However, make sure to clear this with you firm before you say you will do it. You don't want to lose out on a real job because of a part time one.

Return to “Legal Employment”