How many dress shirts should one own? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

How many dress shirts should one own?

5-8
22%
8-11
36%
12-15
23%
15-18
6%
18-21
2%
21+
11%

Total votes: 179

Jessep

New

How many dress shirts should one own?

Post by Jessep » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:27 pm

I was having a conversation recently with a friend. He made fun of me for having too many shirts.

I'm curious what others think. Of course once you get beyond a certain point it is more for style, but one does not ever want to be known as they guy who always wears that shirt. The question is where that number lies. This may seem silly, but I've seen young lawyers who have too small of a wardrobe and people do notice.

How many dress shirts should one ideally have? I'll save my opinion so as not to skew the poll.

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Re: How many dress shirts should one own?

Post by Lawl Shcool » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:33 pm

Im pretty sure I have 8-12 but usually wear the same 3-4. I don't think anyone notices since they are all mostly white shirts.

edcrane

Bronze

Post by edcrane » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:33 pm

12-15 sounds about right to me. You can definitely get away with fewer, but I like having the option of not doing laundry/visiting the dry cleaners every week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:42 pm

JPU wrote:Im pretty sure I have 8-12 but usually wear the same 3-4. I don't think anyone notices since they are all mostly white shirts.
oh we notice. Behind your back we call you "that guy"

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:12 pm

I think 10 good ones is a nice round number.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CGI Fridays

Silver

Post by CGI Fridays » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:13 pm

SBL wrote:I think 10 good ones is a nice round number.
2 work weeks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:39 pm

2-3 White
2 Light Blue
5-6: tasteful whatever you want that is striped/tattersail/other solids

blink

Bronze

Post by blink » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:45 pm

CGI Fridays wrote:
SBL wrote:I think 10 good ones is a nice round number.
2 work weeks.

this.

btw, why all the anon. posting??

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2-3 White
2 Light Blue
5-6: tasteful whatever you want that is striped/tattersail/other solids
I personally prefer a mix of 5 white, 3 blue, and 2 misc. Nothing beats a nicely-made, crisp, clean white dress shirt with an excellent tie.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dougroberts

Bronze

Post by dougroberts » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:13 pm

SBL wrote:Nothing beats a nicely-made, crisp, clean white dress shirt with an excellent tie.
I do agree - sometimes the tie seals the deal, especially with white shirts.

Now, do you think more shirts are necessary for business casual firms (not requiring a suit)? And, in such firms, do you think COLOR is allowed, or just white/blues again?

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:16 pm

dougroberts wrote:
SBL wrote:Nothing beats a nicely-made, crisp, clean white dress shirt with an excellent tie.
I do agree - sometimes the tie seals the deal, especially with white shirts.

Now, do you think more shirts are necessary for business casual firms (not requiring a suit)? And, in such firms, do you think COLOR is allowed, or just white/blues again?
I will be working at a biz-cas. firm myself, and plan to stick mainly to white/blue, because that's just what looks good. The only real difference is that I will wear khakis instead of suited pants, sometimes boat shoes instead of black dress shoes, and with biz-cas you have more flexibility w/r/t tie selection, which is sweet. Case in point: I just bought, and plan to wear this summer, an awesome Brooks Brothers tie with little liberty bells on it on eBay for $9. Freedom, baby. Freedom.

BunkMoreland

Bronze

Post by BunkMoreland » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:38 pm

you still wear a tie in business casual, SBL?

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:00 pm

BunkMoreland wrote:you still wear a tie in business casual, SBL?
Yep. I kinda like ties, and walking around the firm it looks like about half the attorneys wear them, so I figure better to play it safe and never feel underdressed

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jessep

New

Post by Jessep » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:27 pm

Good point on differentiating with business casual. I wrote the poll with the assumption of a biz-casual workplace. Personally, I think a few extra shirts are needed in this environment because I tend to not just do solid white/blue.

For acceptable colors, it totally depends on workplace. Some places you should remain conservative (white/blue base), while for others it is acceptable to wear all types of unusual colors. Your best bet is to observe people around your level of seniority. Do not copy partners as they can get away with more of a relaxed dress. They already proved themselves.

Erring on the side of more conservative is generally better. There are a LOT of variations of white/blue base with different stripes and check patterns, though again it really depends on the firm culture. However, I will say that overdressing can be bad too. If no one wears a tie, you probably shouldn't either as a junior associate. You may come off as stuffy.

Bottom line: it's never good to significantly stand out for your clothes.

BunkMoreland

Bronze

Post by BunkMoreland » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:32 pm

SBL wrote:
Yep. I kinda like ties, and walking around the firm it looks like about half the attorneys wear them, so I figure better to play it safe and never feel underdressed
So, how many pairs of pants do you have to rotate with that? As you can imagine, I'm woefully underprepared for all this.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:43 pm

Depends. Are we talking about a firm that is business casual or full on suit-tastic?

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:47 pm

BunkMoreland wrote:
SBL wrote:
So, how many pairs of pants do you have to rotate with that? As you can imagine, I'm woefully underprepared for all this.
Get 3 pairs of REALLY NICE khaki pants for a biz-cas firm. This is an investment that you will thank yourself for later. I recommend Banana Republic chinos. They look great, fit really well, and are incredibly soft, and cost about $70 ea. Go for slightly differing colors (let's say off-white, tan and maybe navy or olive) so people don't think you're wearing the same pair every day. It is just not true that all khakis look the same. Cheap ones look bad and feel like you're wearing a paper bag.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:02 am

I don't know if these exist outside of my native Ohio but Jos. A Bank has some baller work clothes.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:16 am

JPU wrote:I don't know if these exist outside of my native Ohio but Jos. A Bank has some baller work clothes.
They do, but I hate them.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:24 am

Bosque wrote:
JPU wrote:I don't know if these exist outside of my native Ohio but Jos. A Bank has some baller work clothes.
They do, but I hate them.
+1

When you buy 3 suits for $200, it's going to look like you bought 3 suits for $200. Sometimes for true basics like white dress shirts, places like Jos. A Bank and Men's Wearhouse (sic) are acceptable, but generally speaking, it's just not a good idea to wear cheap clothes to work. No need to rock an Armani tux to your summer associate gig, but go to Macy's or Nordstrom and drop a few bucks. Men's professional attire never goes out of fashion (unless you buy weird shit like knitted skinny ties or those shirts from the '70s with huge lapels, which, as an aside, I think look pretty cool), so there's no great reason to skimp.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:38 am

If you're in the Northeast, check out SYMS -- you'll have to pay a little more in tailoring costs and won't be able to pick the exact color or brand you want, but you can get brand-name suits/shirts/pants (much better stuff than Jos A Banks) for 30-50% off retail price.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:41 am

I'm serious about buying ties on eBay, by the way. Ties that cost $75-150 new can be picked up for $10-20, and nothing makes a suit pop like a really great tie.

BunkMoreland

Bronze

Post by BunkMoreland » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:46 am

You can get some pretty nice stuff off the Buying and Selling forum at styleforum, too. great deals.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:52 am

I really hate the look of ties without jackets by the way. Not sure exactly why.

Jessep

New

Post by Jessep » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:08 am

To start out, I think one should have 2-3 suits. At least 5 pairs of pants, and at least 10 dress shirts. Most places don't require ties, but I'd have as many ties as shirts. A sport coat/blazer or two is generally good to have as well. Start with basic navy though personally I'd avoid the gold buttons (even though many wear them). Avoid flash like tie clips until you are settled in a workplace and get a feel that it wouldn't be out of place. You don't want to look pretentious, and you don't want to look like you picked up your clothes from the Salvation Army.

Going with wool dress pants rather than khakis can save the hassle of ironing and look a bit more polished, but they are more expensive usually ($90-100 rather than $50-70 for khakis). The above poster is absolutely right that not all khakis or dress pants are created equal. Get clothes that fit. Fit is very important, so pay attention, get it tailored if need be, and you'll be fine. Some shirts/pants won't fit you as brands/lines target different body types.

Most of all you want to blend in, and create an impression that you are part of the team. Online re-sellers like ebay can be great to pickup deals once you know your measurements/style. Until then, it can be helpful to have someone help you in-store.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”