Poll: Which Boston firm? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Among these options, which would you choose for corporate work in Boston?

Bingham
29%
Choate
31%
Goulston
3%
Sullivan & Worcester
8%
Foley Hoag
15%
Proskauer
11%
EAPD
3%

Total votes: 65

Anonymous User

Re: Poll: Which Boston firm?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'd probably take Weil over any tier 1's though.
I'd love to hear your reasoning for this choice. Thanks!
Smaller office, extremely high quality work. You'll be playing second fiddle to NY... which is a drawback, but Weil provides the kind of big deals/cases that you probably won't see in Boston. Weil is arguably #1 in country for certain practice groups.
Aside from the PE focus, can anyone else comment on Weil vs. Skadden Boston?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:52 pm

Definitely a very different "feel" from each firm. Skadden is extreme type-A, cocky and a bit asshole-ish feel. I thought Weil was a bit more laid back, though certainly not a laid back firm, and less prone to screaming.

As people keep saying, it depends on the department you want and your personality.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:31 pm

I got a totally different impression at Skadden. My interviewers were very down to earth and non-egotistical.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:34 pm

How many Weil offers have gone out? Corporate or Lit?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:34 pm

I would agree, actually. I thought the interviewers at Skadden were all quite personable and approachable.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I would agree, actually. I thought the interviewers at Skadden were all quite personable and approachable.
Perhaps we just had different interview experiences. I'd recommend talking to previous SAs at your school if you can. I did, and the person told me that they were constantly and heavily pressured to go out every single night (til close) by younger associates so that the associates could drink for free. The person liked it at first, but grew tired of it and felt obligated to do it....maybe some wouldn't mind this atmosphere though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:38 pm

I've heard that happens everywhere. Do you think that's a situation that we don't have to worry about ITE? Was the person you spoke with a summer in 2008 or earlier?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:38 am

Sullivan & Worcester made calls this week telling people they are still under consideration.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:41 pm

Any Bingham Boston updates? Still shocked that they are only taking 5. Anyone know if they gave 100% offers to 2010 summers?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:30 pm

Can anyone weight on on K&L v Brown Rudnick v S&W?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:40 pm

I had to make a decision between K&L and BR. I actually really liked BR. But I came to the conclusion that K&L was a better firm with a brighter future, especially if you aren't looking at any practice area that BR has but K&L doesn't (this is probably especially true in IP and securities/banking). In terms of S&W, I'd say BR is likely a better choice unless you wanted to do tax.

Just my two cents. Good luck on your choice.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:18 pm

I can weigh in on S&W and BR, but not K&L. I liked the people at S&W and BR about equally (and a lot), though the people at BR seemed slightly more stressed out by the work-life balance problems they were having after underoffering the summer class 2 years ago and not compensating with laterals. I also found the social culture at BR to be a bit fratty, which to be fair, is something I really would have liked, but that's a personal choice. S&W just seemed to have nice people doing good work, even if the hours were long. If S&W paid market, I definitely would have considered it more, but $35k (160 @ BR vs. 125 @ S&W) speaks loudly when you're potentially billing so many hours.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone weight on on K&L v Brown Rudnick v S&W?
I'd take BR. In Boston, one isn't more prestigious than the other. Outside of Boston different story, but I wasn't a huge fan of K&L. K&L Boston from what I've heard is pretty much the definition of a satellite office, meaning you're at K&L but not in one of their more-known or prestige areas. BR although known to be sweat-shoppy I heard has good people and is more of a Boston staple than K&L.

S&W, while I know people that love it, doesn't pay so well (although 125k is still a ton of $) as you've seen above and I don't know how true it is that'd you work less hours to compensate for that disparity.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:45 pm

The poll results sadden me. foley hoag should be getting more love than it is, and Bingham shouldn't be getting as much.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:53 pm

Blindmelon wrote:The poll results sadden me. Foley Hoag should be getting more love than it is, and Bingham shouldn't be getting as much.
I'm going to second that, although I didn't get a look from either firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone weight on on K&L v Brown Rudnick v S&W?
I'd take BR. In Boston, one isn't more prestigious than the other. Outside of Boston different story, but I wasn't a huge fan of K&L. K&L Boston from what I've heard is pretty much the definition of a satellite office, meaning you're at K&L but not in one of their more-known or prestige areas. BR although known to be sweat-shoppy I heard has good people and is more of a Boston staple than K&L.

S&W, while I know people that love it, doesn't pay so well (although 125k is still a ton of $) as you've seen above and I don't know how true it is that'd you work less hours to compensate for that disparity.
Yeah I think that's true. And I think when you're playing at this level, you're gonna work your ass off at any of the top firms. I'd bet a first year bills as many hours at BR as Ropes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:54 pm

Blindmelon wrote:The poll results sadden me. Foley Hoag should be getting more love than it is, and Bingham shouldn't be getting as much.
A good friend of mine worked at foley hoag and got laid off for ITE reasons right after the crash. He pretty much said they were assholes and made him posture like he was "choosing" to leave.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
A good friend of mine worked at Foley Hoag and got laid off for ITE reasons right after the crash. He pretty much said they were assholes and made him posture like he was "choosing" to leave.
Yikes. Well, I don't think any of the firms on the list were safe from layoffs. Choate also laid off about 10% of associates and deferred a bunch - I heard that the firm worked their asses off trying to find jobs for everyone - they're a top-notch firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I can weigh in on S&W and BR, but not K&L. I liked the people at S&W and BR about equally (and a lot), though the people at BR seemed slightly more stressed out by the work-life balance problems they were having after underoffering the summer class 2 years ago and not compensating with laterals. I also found the social culture at BR to be a bit fratty, which to be fair, is something I really would have liked, but that's a personal choice. S&W just seemed to have nice people doing good work, even if the hours were long. If S&W paid market, I definitely would have considered it more, but $35k (160 @ BR vs. 125 @ S&W) speaks loudly when you're potentially billing so many hours.
Can anyone else speak to this BR "fratty" feel? Not saying that's bad, just want to hear more about it. Fratty in the way Choate is blue blood?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:15 am

Anybody on this?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I can weigh in on S&W and BR, but not K&L. I liked the people at S&W and BR about equally (and a lot), though the people at BR seemed slightly more stressed out by the work-life balance problems they were having after underoffering the summer class 2 years ago and not compensating with laterals. I also found the social culture at BR to be a bit fratty, which to be fair, is something I really would have liked, but that's a personal choice. S&W just seemed to have nice people doing good work, even if the hours were long. If S&W paid market, I definitely would have considered it more, but $35k (160 @ BR vs. 125 @ S&W) speaks loudly when you're potentially billing so many hours.
Can anyone else speak to this BR "fratty" feel? Not saying that's bad, just want to hear more about it. Fratty in the way Choate is blue blood?

Bump

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:48 pm

Can anyone weigh in on the culture at Wilmer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone weigh in on the culture at Wilmer?
Stuffy and reserved.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Stuffy and reserved.
Unsure about that. Its not exactly party-city but I really liked everyone I met there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Stuffy and reserved.
Unsure about that. Its not exactly party-city but I really liked everyone I met there.
wilmer definitely felt like the most stuffy and reserved office environment I visited. halls were very quiet and the reception area was SILENT; no one said anything in passing. also might have been the colonial style of the place.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”