(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:33 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

War Cardinal

Re: 2 callbacks - analyze partner comments

Postby War Cardinal » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:firm 1; partner who's been around a LONG TIME at this firm said, "So this is X, he's going to get a start date" while introducing me to the next partner in the callback schedule - same partner said over lunch "we think you'd be a great fit here"

firm 2; partner who is on the hiring committee said, "I'm going to enthusiastically recommend an offer for you, I'm on the hiring committee, so hopefully everything pans out."

Can you guys comment on either/both of these comments?

Yes, I can comment on these comments.

You may or may not receive an offer.

HTH!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:38 pm

The cardinal rule: nothing is guaranteed until you have an offer in writing. Period.

I learned the hard way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:39 pm

War Cardinal wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:firm 1; partner who's been around a LONG TIME at this firm said, "So this is X, he's going to get a start date" while introducing me to the next partner in the callback schedule - same partner said over lunch "we think you'd be a great fit here"

firm 2; partner who is on the hiring committee said, "I'm going to enthusiastically recommend an offer for you, I'm on the hiring committee, so hopefully everything pans out."

HTH!

you're the same guy who wrote the code for that back-and-forth knock knock joke on another thread, is this how you plan on spending your Friday night?

War Cardinal

Postby War Cardinal » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The cardinal rule: nothing is guaranteed until you have an offer in writing. Period.

I learned the hard way.

As you can see from above, the War Cardinal rule is very similar to the cardinal one.

War Cardinal

Postby War Cardinal » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
War Cardinal wrote:

HTH!

you're the same guy who wrote the code for that back-and-forth knock knock joke on another thread, is this how you plan on spending your Friday night?

I'm also watching Cal lose to Nevada. Not too shabby a way of spending a Friday night.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:41 pm

so you're justifying spending time here posting nonsensical irrelevant gibberish by stating you're watching TV on the side? Sounds really, really bad dude.

War Cardinal

Postby War Cardinal » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:so you're justifying spending time here posting nonsensical irrelevant gibberish by stating you're watching TV on the side? Sounds really, really bad dude.

Not nearly as bad as your anxiety-laden solicitations to interpret two people's statements re: your prospects for a summer job offer.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:so you're justifying spending time here posting nonsensical irrelevant gibberish by stating you're watching TV on the side? Sounds really, really bad dude.

You realize you're posting on TLS on Friday night while making fun of someone for posting on TLS on Friday night...riiight?

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:45 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc0mxOXbWIU

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:46 pm

Has anyone here ever been dinged for comments similar to ones made by OP callbacks? I would actually like to know whether partners drop strong hints, followed by an actual ding.

To anon #2, you're not dinged yet, so just hang in there - you might get an offer eventually, they have to "vote" on you. Although you obviously shouldn't've rejected your offer, that seems REALLY risky, can you call them back? I'm going to guess not.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone here ever been dinged for comments similar to ones made by OP callbacks? I would actually like to know whether partners drop strong hints, followed by an actual ding.

To anon #2, you're not dinged yet, so just hang in there - you might get an offer eventually, they have to "vote" on you. Although you obviously shouldn't've rejected your offer, that seems REALLY risky, can you call them back? I'm going to guess not.

Dont know about callbacks, but yes during OCIs. Partner X told me during the final minute of my screening that I would love the firm and that he would arrange for me to speak with Partner Y (similar background/interests to mine) during my callback, and he was sure we would hit it off great. Rejected via e-mail the following day. Not even called back.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The cardinal rule: nothing is guaranteed until you have an offer in writing. Period.

I learned the hard way.

Wait... so you received an offer over the phone then the firm reneged (by, for example, refusing to send you a letter)?

Jeez.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:52 pm

^ No, I think that poster turned down an offer from Firm A, speculating that another would be shortly forthcoming from Firm B. It was not forthcoming.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone here ever been dinged for comments similar to ones made by OP callbacks? I would actually like to know whether partners drop strong hints, followed by an actual ding.

Dont know about callbacks, but yes during OCIs. Partner X told me during the final minute of my screening that I would love the firm and that he would arrange for me to speak with Partner Y (similar background/interests to mine) during my callback, and he was sure we would hit it off great. Rejected via e-mail the following day. Not even called back.

That is marginally rude of the partner to give you a strong assurance like that, with no disclaimer of any sort to the effect that "nothing is guaranteed" - maybe he was assuming that you knew how callbacks worked, i.e. its not one person's decision, but regardless - that's not cool obviously from your perspective.

I had a partner praise my vision/drive/clarity with respect to what I wanted to do, dinged the next week by snail mail. :-/

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:56 pm

MrKappus wrote:^ No, I think that poster turned down an offer from Firm A, speculating that another would be shortly forthcoming from Firm B. It was not forthcoming.

Thanks. In that case, I am shocked by the poster's naivete... I feel sorry but it also shows pretty poor judgment. :?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:01 am

Unemployed wrote:
MrKappus wrote:^ No, I think that poster turned down an offer from Firm A, speculating that another would be shortly forthcoming from Firm B. It was not forthcoming.

Thanks. In that case, I am shocked by the poster's naivete... I feel sorry but it also shows pretty poor judgment. :?

Its definitely optimistic, in any event, my 1L firm specifically instructed interviewing associates to NOT say things like "I think you're gonna get an offer" or "I totally see you here" or something like that; even if they personally thought it was a sure thing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:02 am

Yup! Poor judgment on my part mixed with overt optimism :)

At the least you got closure (dinged letter). Wish they would send me a letter, but I would assume that the silent treatment (not responding to status-checks) is the equivalent of a "ding"?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:05 am

So... is it bad then if you don't get compliments during your callback? I had a callback recently and I thought it went fine to well. My interviews all went over time and there was laughter and smiling. But I don't recall any partner or associate specifically telling me I was awesome or something like that.

...is that bad?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:So... is it bad then if you don't get compliments during your callback? I had a callback recently and I thought it went fine to well. My interviews all went over time and there was laughter and smiling. But I don't recall any partner or associate specifically telling me I was awesome or something like that.

...is that bad?

No. Ugh. I hate this thread. I'm not sure what OP expects respondents to do besides pat him on the back and speculate about statements we weren't privy to made by a group of partners that we'll likely never meet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:09 am

Kohinoor wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc0mxOXbWIU

LOL!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:So... is it bad then if you don't get compliments during your callback? I had a callback recently and I thought it went fine to well. My interviews all went over time and there was laughter and smiling. But I don't recall any partner or associate specifically telling me I was awesome or something like that.

...is that bad?

no, any semi-social human would try to put some laughter/etc. in an interview, my auto-ding interview @ keker had some laughter in there if I recall.

I think the point here is - it is really sadistic/unprofessional to tell an interviewee, "You're going to get an offer here" (unless the interviewer is THE hiring partner, veeeery unlikely) and kind of irresponsible to say something like "I'm going to tell the hiring committee to recommend an offer for you" - especially if you're a high-level partner. TBF, the latter comment is fairly common from what I hear, but its just not needed, not sure why people feel the need to be pleasant about this kind of thing.

No associate, period, is going to tell a candidate, "You're going to get an offer". On the other hand, it is very common to say, "you'll be a good fit here," or "yes, we're the kind of firm you'll do well in," etc. etc. But on the other hand, associates can say some pretty retarded shit during callback interviews, stuff they have no authority to say, eg. trash-talking their OWN FIRM (yes, this has happened to me).
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:

...is that bad?

No. Ugh. I hate this thread. I'm not sure what OP expects respondents to do besides pat him on the back and speculate about statements we weren't privy to made by a group of partners that we'll likely never meet.

OP believes, in light of the interviewers' comments, that he should get an offer from one or both of these firms. He's looking for someone to validate this belief. Sadly, the universe (which includes those partners) could care less what OP thinks he's entitled to. OP: you'll get an offer, or you won't, but you won't divine what's going to happen by asking a message-board what two very straightforward statements, said in plain English, "really mean."

War Cardinal

Re: .

Postby War Cardinal » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:25 am

OP wrote:.

The poor bastard took his ball and went home.

Return to “Legal Employment”