Firm queries

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
terran1

Firm queries

Postby terran1 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:11 am

I'd like to get some opinions regarding the associate experience in BigLaw. I'm hoping for prospective from 1) practicing associates 2) people who personally know associates and 3) SAs -- in that order.

Please rate the degree with which you agree with the following statements, from 1-10--with one being the lowest, and ten the highest.

1. A firim's PPP is inversely proportional to its associate's QOL.

2. The tradeoff for 'substantive work' as a newish associate is a higher risk of being fired plus increased stress (early death?).

3. The lifestyle realities at my firm are reasonably captured by the data in the Avery Index's surveys [http://www.averyindex.com/].

4. ATL's numbers regarding billables/vacation time/face-time are a reasonable reflection of reality at my firm [http://www.averyindex.com/].

5. Firm culture varies wildly from office-to-office and group-to-group in the bigger firms.

6. Schools do a reasonable job of informing their students of the day-to-day reality at firms.

7. Outside the V10, the Vault rankings do a poor job of predicting the quality of associate exit options.

underdawg

Re: Firm queries

Postby underdawg » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:25 am

sa here

1. ???
2. more stress yeah. fired? i don't think so
3. avery is bs with those response rates
4. fuck do i know?
5. office, i think maybe. group? usually the tiny groups rave about QOL (like bankruptcy in firms with small practices...i.e. paul weiss)
6. fuck no. they don't do any job.
7. prob true. depends on the group. and some firms are underranked, IMO, for not really having a corporate practice or their lit being way better than their corp. i.e. i bet boies, susman, irell, quinn lit are all more impressive than weil lit. wlrk lit is also waaaay overrated (though it pays da billz). not to mention niche/b00teek firms like keker et. al being more impressive than weil IP lit. prob also true of several firms' corp departments over say paul weiss corp.

Return to “Legal Employment”