Cover Letter for Non-OCI firms Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
amathey

New

Cover Letter for Non-OCI firms

Post by amathey » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:47 pm

I am planning on emailing my application materials to firms that are not coming to my school's OCI. When emailing these out to the firm's recrutier should my cover letter be in the body of the email or should it also be a seperate attachment? If it should be a seperate attachment, what should I say in the body text of the email?

Thanks!

tingles

New

Re: Cover Letter for Non-OCI firms

Post by tingles » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:53 pm

Definitely as an attachment. I usually just write a sentence of who I am (I'm a 2L at X law school), and that I'm interested in applying for X position. Then tell them that you're attaching your cover letter, resume, transcript, etc. And another sentence of what phone number they can reach you at. No point in writing your email address since you're already emailing it to them.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:59 pm

Your email should not have 6 random attachments in it. You should pdf all of your stuff together, with the possible exception of separating your transcript from the rest.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:09 pm

tingles wrote:Definitely as an attachment. I usually just write a sentence of who I am (I'm a 2L at X law school), and that I'm interested in applying for X position. Then tell them that you're attaching your cover letter, resume, transcript, etc. And another sentence of what phone number they can reach you at. No point in writing your email address since you're already emailing it to them.
Opinions are mixed, but I think this is the right answer. A long email body is likely to get skimmed/ignored by the person receiving it (who won't be the person actually hiring you). PDF all your material together and attach it.

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:53 pm

I attached a cover, resume and transcript as an attachment and got a few callbacks out of it before OCI.

In the body of the email I wrote 2 sentences saying I'm a 2L and that I am interested in coming in for an interview. I did 6 attachments but I think in hindsight it would've been smarter to combine them all in one or two pdf.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

underachiever

Bronze

Post by underachiever » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:11 pm

legends159 wrote:I attached a cover, resume and transcript as an attachment and got a few callbacks out of it before OCI.

In the body of the email I wrote 2 sentences saying I'm a 2L and that I am interested in coming in for an interview. I did 6 attachments but I think in hindsight it would've been smarter to combine them all in one or two pdf.
I mailed a slightly targeted cover letter, my resume and transcript to about 25 firms and got about 8 interviews pre-oci.

.....but then again you go to Stanford and I go to Penn, so i think it was a lot easier for us than for others. I have friends at t20-30 schools who have been frozen out with great grades at the same firms that called me back the next day.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:59 pm

Should I/Must I attach my transcript to the e-mail when my grades are below Median? (and Instead just include my GPA in my resume)?

I go to Michigan and have a 3.05 where the target median is a 3.19.

Thank you so much.

barestin

New

Post by barestin » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:12 pm

To be clear, these are for positions next summer, correct? Isn't it a little too early at this point for that? I sent out e-mails like this in the last couple of weeks for positions as a law clerk for the fall. Should I be thinking more long-term then? Don't mean to steal the thread from OP, but OCI interviews are two months away, so I am just wondering. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:18 pm

barestin wrote:To be clear, these are for positions next summer, correct? Isn't it a little too early at this point for that? I sent out e-mails like this in the last couple of weeks for positions as a law clerk for the fall. Should I be thinking more long-term then? Don't mean to steal the thread from OP, but OCI interviews are two months away, so I am just wondering. Thanks!
Yea, I won't be sending out mass-mailings out until July, but I want to get things together now.

Any takers...?
Should I/Must I attach my transcript to the e-mail when my grades are below Median? (and Instead just include my GPA in my resume)?

I go to Michigan and have a 3.05 where the target median is a 3.19.

Thank you so much.

badaboom61

Bronze

Post by badaboom61 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:20 pm

barestin wrote:To be clear, these are for positions next summer, correct? Isn't it a little too early at this point for that? I sent out e-mails like this in the last couple of weeks for positions as a law clerk for the fall. Should I be thinking more long-term then? Don't mean to steal the thread from OP, but OCI interviews are two months away, so I am just wondering. Thanks!
I think the general advice is to send them right before OCI season, so third or fourth week of July. Sending them now probably wouldn't hurt, but it might get lost since firms aren't really interviewing yet.

At my school grades don't even post until mid July, so I'm not in a hurry.

OP is smart for preparing everything now, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”