thank you letters after interview fair

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

thank you letters after interview fair

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:27 am

yes or no? most interviewers are interviewing 20+ candidates at the fair for only 20 minutes... would thank you notes still be appropriate or are they more appropriate at the call-back stage?

zanda

Re: thank you letters after interview fair

Postby zanda » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:30 am

yes.

Postby 270910 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:51 am

It's much more appropriate at the callback stage. The idea of a thank you note at the callback stage is the firm has taken a substantial portion of time away from its attorneys to interview you, and often paid for accommodations, food, and transportation. A 20 minute interview, be it at OCI or a career fair, does not generate a need to send a thank you note.

It would never cost you a job, look unprofessional, or be a detriment (absent a typo or something) - but etiquette does not demand a thank you at the interview stage.

Jarndyce

Postby Jarndyce » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:48 am

I wouldn't either. You have to ask yourself, what are you thanking them for? Well... you are thanking them for speaking with you for 15-20 minutes. Not just you, but anyone who wants to show up. I understand that the point really isn't to thank them, but rather to keep your name in their mind, but I don't think a letter is necessary/appropriate in this context.

Person

Postby Person » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:53 pm

I would either way. But is this a fair specific answer? Do you think OCI interview do not require a thank you either?

Postby 20160810 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:01 pm

I'd go the other direction on this one: After your 20-minute interview is done, sit there awkwardly glaring at the interviewer until (s)he asks you what's going on, at which point you should reply: "I just took 20 minutes of my life to explain my resume to you, and you don't even have a thank-you card prepared for me?"

Note: This is good advice for anyone, but for people who are doing OCI at UC Davis and whose grades are better than mine, it's exceptionally good advice.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:03 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:04 pm

Person wrote:I would either way. But is this a fair specific answer? Do you think OCI interview do not require a thank you either?

My school's CSO specifically says it's generally not a good idea to send a thank you note after the initial OCI screeners because it doesn't do much, and will probably have typos/awk phrasing in it that will tank you faster than a ice berg did the Titanic.

Postby 20160810 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Person wrote:I would either way. But is this a fair specific answer? Do you think OCI interview do not require a thank you either?

My school's CSO specifically says it's generally not a good idea to send a thank you note after the initial OCI screeners because it doesn't do much, and will probably have typos/awk phrasing in it that will tank you faster than a ice berg did the Titanic.

While I agree that a thank-you note is not requisite at this stage, I have to wonder where you go to law school that it's reasonable to assume that a majority of the students cannot write a brief thank-you note properly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:02 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:While I agree that a thank-you note is not requisite at this stage, I have to wonder where you go to law school that it's reasonable to assume that a majority of the students cannot write a brief thank-you note properly.

Few people know how to write good.

Jarndyce

Postby Jarndyce » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:While I agree that a thank-you note is not requisite at this stage, I have to wonder where you go to law school that it's reasonable to assume that a majority of the students cannot write a brief thank-you note properly.

Anonymous quoting a mod just to make a jerky remark? This could get entertaining. :)

Person

Postby Person » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:48 pm

Jarndyce wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Anonymous quoting a mod just to make a jerky remark? This could get entertaining. :)

This constant crying about "anon abuse" has to stop. It is boring and worthless.

Return to “Legal Employment”