UVA Bid Results Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: UVA Bid Results

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:some people are talking about 29 interviews total, etc. did anyone else get above the 30 max and decide not to do a ridiculous number? i had 45 preselects and 2 alternates and chose only to do 26...

edit: not that there's that big of a diff between 26 and 29, i know. but the question still stands...
I am in a similar position, and took fewer than 26. Most that I have heard from with top 10% like credentials actually took 25-27 interviews in the event that they had applied for and received more.

For myself and many others I spoke with, the calculus was often more based on # of interviews per day than overall number of interviews. It also depends on how risk averse people were and what their non-grades credentials seemed to indicate with respect to likelihood of landing various firm jobs they were selected to interview for.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:some people are talking about 29 interviews total, etc. did anyone else get above the 30 max and decide not to do a ridiculous number? i had 45 preselects and 2 alternates and chose only to do 26...

edit: not that there's that big of a diff between 26 and 29, i know. but the question still stands...
I am in a similar position, and took fewer than 26. Most that I have heard from with top 10% like credentials actually took 25-27 interviews in the event that they had applied for and received more.

For myself and many others I spoke with, the calculus was often more based on # of interviews per day than overall number of interviews. It also depends on how risk averse people were and what their non-grades credentials seemed to indicate with respect to likelihood of landing various firm jobs they were selected to interview for.
Cool, that all makes sense. I'm just glad to hear that hopefully there aren't too many people maxing themselves out just because they can (and for other better reasons too obviously, but I just really think you start to get diminishing returns).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:27 pm

I had ~35 preselects and dropped down to the mid 20s. I figured that (a) I don't want to do more than 5 or 6 on any single day, so I had to drop some on August 11 and 12, and (b) if I can't get an offer from 25 interviews, an extra 5 probably won't help.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:31 pm

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:35 pm

bwv812 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:Also, to the extent that anything on xoxo is believable, their UVA threads paint a very different picture.
The UVAblog also looked bleaker when I glanced at it.
Then, yeah, we're basically experiencing the TLS echo chamber.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:39 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:Also, to the extent that anything on xoxo is believable, their UVA threads paint a very different picture.
Links?
http://autoadmit.com/thread.php?thread_ ... forum_id=2
--LinkRemoved--

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:40 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:00 pm

bwv812 wrote:Are we seeing some serious self-selection bias here? If the median is 9 preselects and we're seeing guys in the 3.2 range getting 14 and 20 preselects, we must not be getting the full picture.
The average number of interviews is supposedly 15. If the average number of preselects was 9, then most people must have done better than the 1-4 lottery selections that the CSO projected.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bwv812 wrote:Are we seeing some serious self-selection bias here? If the median is 9 preselects and we're seeing guys in the 3.2 range getting 14 and 20 preselects, we must not be getting the full picture.
The average number of interviews is supposedly 15. If the average number of preselects was 9, then most people must have done better than the 1-4 lottery selections that the CSO projected.
Source? The only thing I've seen from career services is that the average number of preselects was 9.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Source? The only thing I've seen from career services is that the average number of preselects was 9.
Yeah, source. I refuse to believe I've done better than average without proof.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Even though this is anonymous, I'll just say that the CSO would tell you 15 if you e-mailed or called them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:23 pm

Also, if you have a calculator, you can add up the # of rooms (listed in a spreadsheet CSO sent out earlier) multiple it by 20 (the number of interviews per room) and then divide by any number between 360 and 400 (since we don't know how many transfers are attending or how many people voluntarily choose to not participate in OGI). That yields 16-17, so it doesn't surprise me in the slightest CS says "15" (the "average" likely being skewed north by people who take 25-30 interviews).

I personally got 0 lottery picks and only 3 of my 5 top 5. I'm in a fine position but I thought that was amusing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had ~35 preselects and dropped down to the mid 20s. I figured that (a) I don't want to do more than 5 or 6 on any single day, so I had to drop some on August 11 and 12, and (b) if I can't get an offer from 25 interviews, an extra 5 probably won't help.
I ended up with ~37 preselects and ~2 alternates. I ended up selecting 29 preselects + 1 alternate. My main issue with paring it down any more is that it wouldn't have helped me with # of interviews / day. I bid 90% DC and 10% NYC (interviewing ~22 DC and ~7NYC). Most of the firms that I'm very interested in are coming on the first 2 days. So, paring down my # of interviews would only help me on the tail end of OGI.

FWIW GPA > 3.8 + LR

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I hope all of us better-than-average people have that translated into offers down the road.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:04 pm

So, what firms have made callbacks? I haven't heard from any of mine yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, what firms have made callbacks? I haven't heard from any of mine yet.
Early callbacks are very rare. Most firms take a good amount of time, at least a week, and rarely do all go out at once. Stay calm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, what firms have made callbacks? I haven't heard from any of mine yet.
Sullcrom (which everyone who interviewed there already knows about), Latham (West Coast offices and NY, but not DC as far as I know), Paul Weiss DC. That's as much as I've been told.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:32 pm

MoFo's DC office did at least one callback today

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:36 pm

The following firms have done SOME callbacks:

Sullivan & Cromwell
Hunton & Williams (all offices, I think)
Latham & Watkins (LA, OC, and San Diego)
MoFo (DC, SF, and San Diego)
O'Melveny & Myers (Century City)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:02 pm

Summary of UVA OGI:

LR grade-ons are secure.

95% of everyone else is dealing with varying likelihoods of being totally fucked.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Sullivan & Cromwell
Add Latham SF to this list.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Summary of UVA OGI:

LR grade-ons are secure.

95% of everyone else is dealing with varying likelihoods of being totally fucked.
explain! it can't be THAT bad!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Sullivan & Cromwell
Add Latham SF to this list.
Add OMM DC as well

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

LR grade-ons are secure.

That's not at all the case. People in the top half who know what they are doing (i.e. not bidding mostly on DC) will probably end up fine.

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:10 pm

Cavalier wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

LR grade-ons are secure.

That's not at all the case. People in the top half who know what they are doing (i.e. not bidding mostly on DC) will probably end up fine.
lol. That's quite a few qualifiers.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”