rough relation with partner at 1L SA firm Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
RVP11

Gold

Re: rough relation with partner at 1L SA firm

Post by RVP11 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:lots of friction, doesn't approve of me going downstairs for a 20 min break without telling everybody where i'm at,
It's common office etiquette to tell people where you're going, so they can locate you quickly if something important comes up. The only exception would be going to the restroom. OTOH, you shouldn't have to tell EVERYBODY where you're going. But you should tell at least one person who is going to be around while you're gone.
Anonymous User wrote:doesn't approve of boyfriend visiting over lunch break
Your SO should not be visiting more than once or twice maximum throughout the summer, even if this is an unpaid position. And even then, whether he should visit at all should depend on the firm culture. But apparently you have pretty terrible judgment, so just don't let him visit at all.

ggocat

Gold

Post by ggocat » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:54 am

CG614 wrote:
ggocat wrote:
roranoa wrote:This thread is NOT going the way the OP intended.
Haha. That's how TLS works.

ITT: OP asks a question, a few posters answer, and the rest decide to give their two cents about the situation without answering the question.
The question is flawed in that it assumes that the firm her 2L summer would be okay with her current practices.

EDIT: Re-read the question, I guess it doesn't necessarily assume the above. But if her goal is to get an offer from her 2L summer, then she should take some of the advice ITT. No matter how crass people are on this site, they tend to give solid advice. Well, most do.
I'm not saying it's a bad thing. That's just how Internet forums work. If OPs don't want to be lectured, they should just ask questions without unnecessary background info.

hiromoto45

Silver

Post by hiromoto45 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:59 am

howcani111 wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:OP have you ever had a full time job before, especially one in an office? This kind of stuff would be a problem most places, let alone a law office.
hahaha

I was thinking the same thing.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:12 pm

sarahd wrote:
howcani111 wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:OP have you ever had a full time job before, especially one in an office? This kind of stuff would be a problem most places, let alone a law office.
hahaha

I was thinking the same thing.

+1

Seriously...grow up. Breaks? lol I haven't had a lunch break or any other break in years...lunch is for catching up on work, meetings or business discussions not trips with your boyfriend to the local deli.
I see you're still retarded.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:15 pm

It will never cease to amaze me how smart some kids can be, yet are so incredibly inept and stupid.

I'm sure Mommy and Daddy will take care of everything OP. You just keep looking pretty.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:16 pm

OP, as noted, your habits are poor. If you came here seeking pity, you'll find none. It amazes me how immature and unprofessional people in the workforce can be, especially those around my age. +1 to hoping my SA class has lots of people like this (that's assuming anyone at WUSTL gets an SA, but you get my point).

interalia

New

Post by interalia » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:22 pm

romothesavior wrote:OP, as noted, your habits are poor. If you came here seeking pity, you'll find none. It amazes me how immature and unprofessional people in the workforce can be, especially those around my age. +1 to hoping my SA class has lots of people like this (that's assuming anyone at WUSTL gets an SA, but you get my point).
+1. How could you be so unprofessional as a 1L SA? This is mind-boggling.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:25 pm

interalia wrote:
romothesavior wrote:OP, as noted, your habits are poor. If you came here seeking pity, you'll find none. It amazes me how immature and unprofessional people in the workforce can be, especially those around my age. +1 to hoping my SA class has lots of people like this (that's assuming anyone at WUSTL gets an SA, but you get my point).
+1. How could you be so unprofessional as a 1L SA? This is mind-boggling.
IMO, being professional is all about reading the people you work for and work with. I am a little more laid back at my job, but only because my boss is very chillax and the people I work with are laid back and happy-go-lucky people. We all really enjoy working together. But if my boss was a strict stickler, you can bet I would pick up on that and adapt. Professionalism is really self-explanatory and not difficult to pick up on.

OP said her boss is very tough. So she must either be 1) unable to take a hint or 2) really stubborn.

jack duluoz

Bronze

Post by jack duluoz » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:32 pm

Stop watching 'The Hills.' It's not real life.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:32 pm

romothesavior wrote:
OP said her boss is very tough. So she must either be 1) unable to take a hint or 2) really stubborn.
I bet he expects her there at some crazy hour in the morning, like 8am. What an ass!

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:38 pm

ITT: OP is told to inform everyone at her firm every time she has to take a 20 minute shit.

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:01 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:ITT: OP is told to inform everyone at her firm every time she has to take a 20 minute shit.
Hot chicks don't take shits.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:04 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:ITT: OP is told to inform everyone at her firm every time she has to take a 20 minute shit.
Hot chicks don't take shits.
If that was the case there would be no issue with the partner.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:04 pm

Mr. Matlock wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
I bet he expects her there at some crazy hour in the morning, like 8am. What an ass!
This. I actually don't think that OP's boss has required anything that would warrant classing him as tough.

While I do think that meeting SO outside the firm for a half an hour lunch break isn't unprofessional on its face - assuming, of course, that everyone else tends to step out for lunch breaks on their own, too - I can't imagine bringing him inside for a lunch break, absent permission from the boss. I know I wouldn't just walk mine in, even though my boss is pretty understanding.

As for breaks, regular 20 minute recusals should def. be communicated to someone. 20 minutes is a decent bit of time. Besides, telling someone 'hey, if anyone needs me, I'll be at XYZ place' before dashing out is simple enough and shouldn't be too much for anyone, particularly not a well paid 1L SA kid.

Mirrored

New

Post by Mirrored » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:07 pm

Alright.

So OP, you are being ridiculous and you sound like a baby. Rather than being defensive or evasive or any of that, you should realize the following.

1) This is Corporate America. You need to check-in. People need to know where you are. They are not paying you so that you can disappear at your convenience. They are paying you for your time. If you disappear for twenty minutes it is a big deal. You have to let people know where you are because they are paying you. They aren't paying you because you deserve it, they are paying you to work for it. Know that. Respect that.

2) This is work, not a playspace for you and your lovey-dovey kissy-kissy boyfriend to come in with his Ed Hardy shirt and barbed wire tattoo so that you two can have your special time in front of everyone else. This is work, not the tunnel of love, or "you time".

3) That you came to this job without the desire to knock their socks off, that you seem entirely okay with half-assing it, that you are such a big baby that you are calling the partner a "dick" for him doing his job as a manager-- it's entirely ridiculous. I am surprised you fooled them long enough about your maturity at the interview.

I am also deeply concerned that you are acting like this. When people whine about the performance and attitude of our generation, you are now a part of the cause of that.

Yes, you are going to make everyone else working with you look better by comparison. However, as you are now, you are jeopardizing the shots of others our age.

You can handle the above one of two ways.
1) Sulk. Whine. Act like a little princess who should be catered to. Call your boss names behind his back. Invite your cute girlfriends into work with their trampstamps showing. Continue doing the bare minimum you can not to get fired.

If you pick this option you are a waste of a law school slot. Because you took that slot, someone else who would have actually been able to contribute to the world and succeed was denied one. Understand that your selfishness is hurting not only yourself, but the world. Melodramatic criticism end.

2. Realize you are being a complete idiot. Change that. Grow up. Get to work early. Stay late. Work hard. Your boyfriend does not exist during your work day. No facebook. No crying. No excuses. Perform. Work hard and work better than everyone else. Anticipate the employers expectations. Exceed them.

If you pick this option, you are a good allocation of a law school slot. Because you took that slot the world becomes a better place.

Your call chief.

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:11 pm

If you're new to a job, you should want to make a good impression.

Here's a tip: Don't do things you think your boss won't like.

CG614

Silver

Post by CG614 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:50 pm

Anyone call flame based on OP even having an 1L SA?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:52 pm

CG614 wrote:Anyone call flame based on OP even having an 1L SA?
No, why? Some of us did get to work for firms this summer. Looks legit enough to me.

cavebat2000

Bronze

Post by cavebat2000 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:57 pm

If shes not at her desk then her annoying boss can call her. That's why cell phones exist. She doesn't need to leave a post-it note trail everywhere. Also, bitterness about not getting a lunch break is your own problem, not hers. Good bosses allow their employees to be humans.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:00 pm

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:05 pm

cavebat2000 wrote:If shes not at her desk then her annoying boss can call her. That's why cell phones exist. She doesn't need to leave a post-it note trail everywhere. Also, bitterness about not getting a lunch break is your own problem, not hers. Good bosses allow their employees to be humans.
Dumb dumb dumb.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:08 pm

CG614 wrote:Anyone call flame based on OP even having an 1L SA?
I think that thinking 20 minute breaks are okay is more of a reason to call troll.

Side Note: When will people on TLS realize the difference between trolls and flames?

dominkay

Bronze

Post by dominkay » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:15 pm

TITCR.

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:17 pm

Mirrored wrote:Alright.

So OP, you are being ridiculous and you sound like a baby. Rather than being defensive or evasive or any of that, you should realize the following.

1) This is Corporate America. You need to check-in. People need to know where you are. They are not paying you so that you can disappear at your convenience. They are paying you for your time. If you disappear for twenty minutes it is a big deal. You have to let people know where you are because they are paying you. They aren't paying you because you deserve it, they are paying you to work for it. Know that. Respect that.

2) This is work, not a playspace for you and your lovey-dovey kissy-kissy boyfriend to come in with his Ed Hardy shirt and barbed wire tattoo so that you two can have your special time in front of everyone else. This is work, not the tunnel of love, or "you time".

3) That you came to this job without the desire to knock their socks off, that you seem entirely okay with half-assing it, that you are such a big baby that you are calling the partner a "dick" for him doing his job as a manager-- it's entirely ridiculous. I am surprised you fooled them long enough about your maturity at the interview.

I am also deeply concerned that you are acting like this. When people whine about the performance and attitude of our generation, you are now a part of the cause of that.

Yes, you are going to make everyone else working with you look better by comparison. However, as you are now, you are jeopardizing the shots of others our age.

You can handle the above one of two ways.
1) Sulk. Whine. Act like a little princess who should be catered to. Call your boss names behind his back. Invite your cute girlfriends into work with their trampstamps showing. Continue doing the bare minimum you can not to get fired.

If you pick this option you are a waste of a law school slot. Because you took that slot, someone else who would have actually been able to contribute to the world and succeed was denied one. Understand that your selfishness is hurting not only yourself, but the world. Melodramatic criticism end.

2. Realize you are being a complete idiot. Change that. Grow up. Get to work early. Stay late. Work hard. Your boyfriend does not exist during your work day. No facebook. No crying. No excuses. Perform. Work hard and work better than everyone else. Anticipate the employers expectations. Exceed them.

If you pick this option, you are a good allocation of a law school slot. Because you took that slot the world becomes a better place.

Your call chief.
Hahahahaha. This post was amazing. I've bolded the parts I find particularly hilarious. Just amazing.

cavebat2000

Bronze

Post by cavebat2000 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:23 pm

paratactical wrote:
cavebat2000 wrote:If shes not at her desk then her annoying boss can call her. That's why cell phones exist. She doesn't need to leave a post-it note trail everywhere. Also, bitterness about not getting a lunch break is your own problem, not hers. Good bosses allow their employees to be humans.
Summer associate = billable hours. 20 minute breaks that are frequent enough that a partner notices = potentially billable time you aren't billing for = missing profit goals or lying about your billables.

You cannot work biglaw if you expect these kinds of breaks and no partner is going to call to get a hold of a summer associate. Partners are important. You do not waste their time. You, as a summer associate and associate, are not important and need to be available.
Didn't think of billable hours deal, but arn't their laws about mandatory RR breaks? Not 20 minutes (unless specified so by state or local law).

Also, I would argue that the bolded part of your statement appears to be oxymoronic. If she's not important than why does it matter if she uses the RR?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”