Berkeley OCIP Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rayiner

Platinum

Re: Berkeley OCIP

Post by rayiner » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:58 am

NYAssociate wrote:
Really during the boom times bottom of the class at GULC had a good shot at biglaw.
Bottom of class at GULC never had a good shot at biglaw.
Depends on how you define bottom. In past years 80% of the class got something out of OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:29 am

rayiner wrote:
NYAssociate wrote:
Really during the boom times bottom of the class at GULC had a good shot at biglaw.
Depends on how you define bottom. In past years 80% of the class got something out of OCI.
Back when I got in during the boom years, I had GULC students telling me that outside of top third is iffy. This is hearsay, sure, but marginally better than the evidenc you posted (see: none).

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rayiner wrote:
NYAssociate wrote:
Back when I got in during the boom years, I had GULC students telling me that outside of top third is iffy. This is hearsay, sure, but marginally better than the evidenc you posted (see: none).
Marginally is the key-word.

The 79% number is from XOXO. And it's entirely believable. They placed 50% NLJ250 prior to ITE. Count federal clerkships, federal government jobs, people who end up at litigation/IP boutiques, and it's entirely believable that 79% got *something* out of OCI. Certainly, the NLJ250+clerkship numbers alone make the "top third" claim ridiculous.

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:20 am

Kurama wrote:
Were you a poster on this site back in 2007? It was a completely different world then. Honestly, if you talk to Top 14 grads from those days, look at TLS, and read the Vault guides from the boom era you will quickly see why people see 40-45 percent as horrible odds. My friend who graduated from Duke Law in 06 was telling me that I didn't need to worry about my grades at UVA; she said that I would get a firm job as long as I wanted one and didn't drop out. Really during the boom times bottom of the class at GULC had a good shot at biglaw. I remember reading the Vault student employment responses and the way people were talking about prospects at UVA I couldn't even distinguish between prospects there and at Harvard when reading both schools responses. It's amazing how much things have changed.
No, that is why I said I was not around for the boom times....

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:23 am

Kurama is on the money. Looking at callback charts from 2007 at NU is like bizarro-world. V10's taking people with good but not great GPAs, top IP boutiques dipping way down below median, etc. People who are iffy about getting a job ITE were choosing amongst V100 offers before. 40-45% is unmitigated carnage in comparison.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kurama

New

Post by Kurama » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:58 pm

rayiner wrote:Kurama is on the money. Looking at callback charts from 2007 at NU is like bizarro-world. V10's taking people with good but not great GPAs, top IP boutiques dipping way down below median, etc. People who are iffy about getting a job ITE were choosing amongst V100 offers before. 40-45% is unmitigated carnage in comparison.

It really makes you think of that time as being parallel to the boom time in finance; firms were hiring and raising salaries at an unsustainable rate and now the "bubble" has "burst". I still can't get over the excerpts from the Vault guides from a few years ago--going to a top 14 really was a ticket to print money then.

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:02 pm

Kurama wrote:
rayiner wrote:Kurama is on the money. Looking at callback charts from 2007 at NU is like bizarro-world. V10's taking people with good but not great GPAs, top IP boutiques dipping way down below median, etc. People who are iffy about getting a job ITE were choosing amongst V100 offers before. 40-45% is unmitigated carnage in comparison.

It really makes you think of that time as being parallel to the boom time in finance; firms were hiring and raising salaries at an unsustainable rate and now the "bubble" has "burst". I still can't get over the excerpts from the Vault guides from a few years ago--going to a top 14 really was a ticket to print money then.
Looking at this with a whole career in mind (and not just the "getting hired" part of it), we're in a far better position. We know what's coming at us. If we get hired, we're probably more likely to stick longer (for a variety of reasons). A large percentage of those who got hired during the boom didn't have long to enjoy themselves before getting their careers chopped at the knees.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:03 pm

Kurama wrote:

To be fair, it wasn't just during the boom. I have OCI data going back to 2002, and even then it was pretty good, if not "below-median gets V100" good.

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:17 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

let/them/eat/cake

Silver

Post by let/them/eat/cake » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:23 pm

Kurama wrote:

where can i find those? i'd like to check them out, for the lulz.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:25 pm

NYAssociate wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
rayiner wrote:[

Marginally is the key-word.

The 79% number is from XOXO. And it's entirely believable. They placed 50% NLJ250 prior to ITE. Count federal clerkships, federal government jobs, people who end up at litigation/IP boutiques, and it's entirely believable that 79% got *something* out of OCI. Certainly, the NLJ250+clerkship numbers alone make the "top third" claim ridiculous.
I see what you did here. Here was my claim:
NYAssociate wrote:
Your claim, and you act like we're in disagreement here, is that they got "something out of OCI." It isn't the same claim.

So really, you are wrong. And you're trying to mask it as if I said that "only top third got something out of OCI."

Try again, buddy. According to the NLJ250 for 2008, 49.something of GULC grads got an NLJ250 firm. Since not all NLJ250 firms are "biglaw," it's entirely believable, and probable, that the top third claim is correct.

Please take a reading lesson.
We have differing definitions of biglaw. Nearly the whole NLJ250 pays over $100k+. Most of the ones that don't pay $160k pay market, just in a secondary market. I can believe that outside top 1/3 was iffy for V100 (which encompasses most major-market biglaw).

http://lawfirmaddict.blogspot.com/2006/ ... ement.html

34% V100 placement is consistent with V100 prospects outside the top 1/3 being "iffy".

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:27 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kurama

New

Post by Kurama » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:56 pm

let/them/eat/cake wrote:
Kurama wrote:

http://books.google.com/books?id=70NxJW ... &q&f=false

Don't read it too long--it will make you cry and wish you had a time machine.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:22 pm

NYAssociate wrote:Fair point. And in fact, the people might have just been referring to the V100. Memory is foggy. This was many moons ago.
V100 is not an unreasonable definition of "biglaw". It's just that given ITE I tend to gravitate towards "enough to pay off loans reasonably."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:16 pm

OP here - AutoAdmit has recognized this thread.....and it doesn't look good. Apparently we have about half the number of firms coming as do other schools in our range (UVA, Mich, etc.). Not sure if it's b/c UVA is closer to DC/NYC, and therefore it's cheaper for recruiters to get there, or what. But I am a bit freaked out here! Anyone else getting a bit scared?

--LinkRemoved--

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:30 pm

Is 200 really bad? I did notice there are very few outside of CA (not that I personally care about that).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:12 am

Maybe it's not as bad as AutoAdmit is making it out to be. That's a fail for listening to anything they say on that board. :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:Maybe it's not as bad as AutoAdmit is making it out to be. That's a fail for listening to anything they say on that board. :D
Well don't trust Xo for advice on dating minorities, but their career service style advice is pretty good. It has much more law students and practicing lawyers than TLS has.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:25 am

how many unique firms are going to michigan or virginia? 400 unique firms?

yellowjacket2012

Bronze

Post by yellowjacket2012 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:51 pm

I'm in Chicago now, so I'm doing the PLIP because its a few blocks from where I live, why not - and I noticed that all the firms doing PLIP are going to Boalt, so I'm not sure how I'm going to approach the OCIP. I was really hoping the ITC would be there, I guess not.

I got "no selected" by a couple of firms - so maybe I'll top bid there. Does OCIP work in a finite rank-bid system, how many bids do we get?

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here - AutoAdmit has recognized this thread.....and it doesn't look good. Apparently we have about half the number of firms coming as do other schools in our range (UVA, Mich, etc.). Not sure if it's b/c UVA is closer to DC/NYC, and therefore it's cheaper for recruiters to get there, or what. But I am a bit freaked out here! Anyone else getting a bit scared?

--LinkRemoved--
Although that does sound pretty bad, don't we have a much smaller class size than those schools? We also might have a bigger section of the class looking for public interest stuff that isn't at OCIP.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:46 pm

Any new info???

Kswizzie

Bronze

Post by Kswizzie » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:06 am

Kurama wrote:
let/them/eat/cake wrote:
Kurama wrote:

http://books.google.com/books?id=70NxJW ... ge&q&f=fal

Don't read it too long--it will make you cry and wish you had a time machine.
My favorite is this gem from a Cornell Law Student in 2005:

"Coming from Cornell Law School equals your choice of a large firm job, in the city you want, regardless of your grades."

yellowjacket2012

Bronze

Post by yellowjacket2012 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:14 am

amyLAchemist wrote:Did people mostly get the firms they wanted for first round?
all but one

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:41 am

transfer, got 10 of my top 11

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”