Rising 2Ls: Purchase the Guerilla Guide to Getting the Legal

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
thesealocust

Rising 2Ls: Purchase the Guerilla Guide to Getting the Legal

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:32 pm

7/17/2011 edit: Bumping this post from last year. It's still true. Buy this shit.

- - - - - - - - -

Rising 2Ls: Purchase the Guerilla Guide to Getting the Legal Job of Your Dreams. Read it and do what it says.

I see it recommended buried deep in threads but never recommended on its own. The guide is a fucking tome and it covers it all - from bidding / interview advice for you shiny T14 students to 'what to do to get a legal job if your grades and law school suck'. It explains the world of legal hiring in a way that you'll never see done honestly on this T14 BIG LAW OR DEATH website, but it's got helpful advice if you want biglaw or death and are at a T14. It's got solid gold tips on resumes, cover letters, contacting firms, networking, etc. It's the getting to maybe of getting employer, and I mean that - just like some people think GTM is pants, some won't need the advice in GGTGTLJOYD (less appealing acronym...) but the book is pretty ace.

HTH,

~Sea Locust
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:40 am, edited 5 times in total.

GATORTIM

Re: Rising 2Ls: Purchase the Guerilla Guide to Getting the Legal

Postby GATORTIM » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:41 pm

Last edited by GATORTIM on Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:43 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:43 pm

thesealocust wrote:job of your dreams. Read it and do what it says.

I see it recommended buried deep in threads but never recommended on its own. The guide is a fucking tome and it covers it all - from bidding / interview advice for you shiny T14 students to 'what to do to get a legal job if your grades and law school suck'. It explains the world of legal hiring in a way that you'll never see done honestly on this T14 BIG LAW OR DEATH website, but it's got helpful advice if you want biglaw or death and are at a T14. It's got solid gold tips on resumes, cover letters, contacting firms, networking, etc. It's the getting to maybe of getting employer, and I mean that - just like some people think GTM is pants, some won't need the advice in GGTGTLJOYD (less appealing acronym...) but the book is pretty ace.

HTH,

~Sea Locust

Seriously this is the single best book you can read, OL, 1L, 2L, 3L just fucking read it. And do it now, so you can start putting the info to work. Well and good if you want to read getting to maybe, E&E's or whatever, but if you ciome up short on the law school grade lottery those will do nothing for you after the fatc. this book will. Get it, read it, do it. Its everything they will not teach you in law school that you must know to get a job. Not knowing what's in this book is a huge reason why so many law grads are unemployed or under employed at graduation. Seriously the best "law school" book out there. As the author says in the book if your number 1 in your class and editor of law review at harvrad you can wrap your rresume around a rock and toss it through a firms window, but for the vast magority of law stduents this book should be required reading. (get the 2nd edition)

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:48 pm

Is that the 2nd edition listed for $8.00???

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:49 pm

Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:50 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:

No, good catch. 2nd edition: http://www.amazon.com/Guerrilla-Tactics ... 938&sr=1-1

Damn you! I was hoping I would be able to direct everyone to the outdated version and use the new tactics all for myself :)

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:52 pm

thesealocust wrote:
Mr. Matlock wrote:

No, good catch. 2nd edition: http://www.amazon.com/Guerrilla-Tactics ... 938&sr=1-1

Bastards!!! (Add $21.11 to that $8.00)

But done!!!! To many people saying good things about it. I'm in.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:54 pm

Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yinz

Postby yinz » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:58 pm

I heard this large, scholarly book is a tome. True or not true?

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:59 pm

thesealocust wrote:You won't regret it. It really is a tome, and you'll look at it a lot. It's got great systems for getting resumes and stuff together I really need to focus on now m'self...

i use OneNote for job tracking, networking, application tracking, cotacts, everything. Just used the forms she mentions in the book, tweaked them for my personal style, created a job note book, then use the outlook feature to shecual folow ups ect. OnenOte works great for tracking job stuff if you take the time to set it up. Espically helpful when you have people recoemdning you for jobs and you included thier info in your materails, i can search by person and quickly see who recoemdned me for what postions/gigs when i'm on the phone with a prospective employer/cleint

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:00 pm

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:02 pm

yinz wrote:I heard this large, scholarly book is a tome. True or not true?

It's not a scholarly book, its everything you need to know about getting any legal job that you won't learn in law school and that you would ignore if career services told you about it. It is HUGE, but allot of that is examples and explanations. You don't need to read the entire book either, its well separated in chapters so you can read the sections that apply to you now.

yinz

Postby yinz » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:14 pm

Matthies wrote:
yinz wrote:I heard this large, scholarly book is a tome. True or not true?

It's not a scholarly book, its everything you need to know about getting any legal job that you won't learn in law school and that you would ignore if career services told you about it. It is HUGE, but allot of that is examples and explanations. You don't need to read the entire book either, its well separated in chapters so you can read the sections that apply to you now.

Right, so its tomeity overfloweth.

RW65

Postby RW65 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:36 pm

A friend of mine gave me the first edition, is the second edition really that much better?

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:44 pm

RW65 wrote:A friend of mine gave me the first edition, is the second edition really that much better?

Second edition is update with more infor on using the internet for job searching, e-mail stuff, electronic correspondance, chgaing hiring pratices ect. Is it worth it, i dunno, if it lands you a good job then its well wroth the 20 bucks? I think so.

Postby 12262010 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:45 pm

*purchases book* thanks gunnaz.

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:48 pm

I went with the 2nd edition. I'm not getting pwnd by GATORIM!!!!!!

chicagolaw2013

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:54 pm

Already got it! 0L who got some SERIOUSLY good advice...got it when I got LSC and GTM for one of those "package deals" on Amazon where they take a few bucks off. Glad to know it was a good investment like I was told by a few friends who are further along in the law school/law career process.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:55 pm

Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:30 pm

Gatortrim very nearly had me fooled. Luckily, Amazon allows order cancellation.

This was some seriously effective advertising. Sealocust, I hope you're getting a cut here.

Postby 12262010 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:34 pm

clintonius wrote:Gatortrim very nearly had me fooled. Luckily, Amazon allows order cancellation.

This was some seriously effective advertising. Sealocust, I hope you're getting a cut here.

so ... does this book suck?

chicagolaw2013

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:36 pm

booyakasha wrote:
clintonius wrote:Gatortrim very nearly had me fooled. Luckily, Amazon allows order cancellation.

I think he means 1st vs. 2nd edition. GATORTIM linked the wrong one (1st edition) which is outdated, hence the 2nd edition.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:44 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:
booyakasha wrote:

I think he means 1st vs. 2nd edition. GATORTIM linked the wrong one (1st edition) which is outdated, hence the 2nd edition.

Correct.

(FYI, Amazon does not allow cancellations if you simply didn't like the book.)

Mr. Matlock

Postby Mr. Matlock » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:49 pm

I have, in the past, been able to cancel orders before they were shipped. Chances are if you ordered the wrong one tonight, you still have time to make the change.

Return to “Legal Employment”