Had to Post Anon - for UVA people regarding deferment

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Had to Post Anon - for UVA people regarding deferment

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 26, 2010 9:35 am

I just got offered a decent sum of money to defer for a year. Is anyone in a similar predicament?

Anonymous User

Re: Had to Post Anon - for UVA people regarding deferment

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 26, 2010 9:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:I just got offered a decent sum of money to defer for a year. Is anyone in a similar predicament?

Why won't they offer me this!?!
I believe there were a few people a week or two ago who said they were offered this option as well.

sccjnthn

Postby sccjnthn » Wed May 26, 2010 9:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:I just got offered a decent sum of money to defer for a year. Is anyone in a similar predicament?

Are you going to take it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 26, 2010 10:25 am

I have absolutely no clue. The amount they offered is pretty decent, especially with my numbers. But I'm not sure I want to defer, I already have a roommate, lease, stuff for school. Although I wouldn't mind another year off to relax and work. I'm thinking about asking for more money.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 26, 2010 10:30 am

If they offered me 1/2 or more, I would defer without question. Unfortunately, wasn't in the cards.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 26, 2010 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:If they offered me 1/2 or more, I would defer without question. Unfortunately, wasn't in the cards.

Yea that would be a clincher for me, but with what they are offering I dont know if I can take another year off. It's still a nice size scholly

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 26, 2010 10:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If they offered me 1/2 or more, I would defer without question. Unfortunately, wasn't in the cards.

Yea that would be a clincher for me, but with what they are offering I dont know if I can take another year off. It's still a nice size scholly

I think for 1/3, I'd still consider it, but it becomes more of a question mark.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 26, 2010 11:46 am

I already quit my job and won't have any debt as it is. I'm a bit of a miser so it's a little tempting but, I can't wait to start and think that I will end up about the same financially. Moneywise, one year post school >> any shitty one year gigs I can secure.

MoS

Postby MoS » Wed May 26, 2010 11:56 am

If you take the deferment, and decide to take the LSAT again and say for the point of argument, get a 178 (I don't know what you originally got) would you be eligible for more scholarship money than what they are offering you to defer? Its worth asking them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 26, 2010 12:22 pm

MoS wrote:If you take the deferment, and decide to take the LSAT again and say for the point of argument, get a 178 (I don't know what you originally got) would you be eligible for more scholarship money than what they are offering you to defer? Its worth asking them.

haha no freaking way im retaking the lsat, plus mines already at or above their 75th %, my gpa blows so money would not be an option normally. You think asking for more money for a definite deferment is a bad idea? im thinking of going this route.

Bert

Postby Bert » Wed May 26, 2010 12:32 pm

EDITED for RC fail.

Is the money a scholarship (i.e. will the money be there just for your 1L year or for all three years at UVA), is it just a fixed amount off your first year tuition only, or are they paying you cash to not show up?

MoS

Postby MoS » Wed May 26, 2010 1:18 pm

Well I didn't know your numbers, I suppose retaking is not worth it. I think asking for more money maybe, but you might have to give some sort of excuse why you want more money, like you will likely incur debt from delaying a year or you don't have a job currently and looking for one ITE is frightening and you need more of a safety net waiting for you. Even if you don't have a good reason, I think asking doesn't hurt, but if you have one they might think they need to step up their offer for you to defer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 26, 2010 1:27 pm

OP here, They offered a per year scholarship to me for defering. I have a lot of reasons to ask for more money. Tuition will be more expensive, I may have to pay rent on the apt i have there, i dont have a job and still have debt from undergrad that i deferred till after law school that is incurring interest, etc. That is why it would be easier to accept if they gave me more money per year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 26, 2010 1:42 pm

I just got the same offer. It's a good sum of money and a tough decision for sure. I don't have a job, already have an apartment lined up (w/roommate), and am really excited about starting this fall.

Don't really know what I'm gonna do...

berkeleykel06

Postby berkeleykel06 » Wed May 26, 2010 2:34 pm

If any of you guys offered a scholarship for deferring wouldn't mind PMing me your numbers, I'd really appreciate it. I'm thinking about deferring and I'm taking the June LSAT with the hope of raising my score enough to be able to leverage a scholarship out of deferring. I'm wondering what LSAT range I should be shooting for.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 26, 2010 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just got the same offer. It's a good sum of money and a tough decision for sure. I don't have a job, already have an apartment lined up (w/roommate), and am really excited about starting this fall.

i feel ya, in the same position. I think if im going to defer, they are going to have to make it really worth my while.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 26, 2010 2:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just got the same offer. It's a good sum of money and a tough decision for sure. I don't have a job, already have an apartment lined up (w/roommate), and am really excited about starting this fall.

i feel ya, in the same position. I think if im going to defer, they are going to have to make it really worth my while.

If they could help me find a job for a year with an alumni or something i would really think about the offer. I just don't really know if i wanna spend a year unemployed or working at some crappy job that I hate when i could be having a great time at school.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed May 26, 2010 2:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

If they could help me find a job for a year with an alumni or something i would really think about the offer. I just don't really know if i wanna spend a year unemployed or working at some crappy job that I hate when i could be having a great time at school.

LOL

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Wed May 26, 2010 2:52 pm

edited / never mind
Last edited by thesealocust on Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed May 26, 2010 2:55 pm

If UVA had more people accept than normal and thus is asking people to defer, does this mean that next year's UVA cycle is going to be tougher considering they have deferments, thus fewer spots, and will be more stringent with standards? Another secondary note is that if this is true, does it also mean there will be less scholarship money available for next year considering that they are using it now to entice people to defer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 26, 2010 2:56 pm

thesealocust wrote:DEFER.

1) The economy is just coming out of freefall mode

2) Nobody knows how bad it is, more time to watch would be clutch

3) Employer's value work experience, so you can either get some or get more than you otherwise would have had

4) The economy

5) The economy

6) The economy

Defer.

No one is going to hire someone for a year for any work experience that will give me a leg up in OCI. And yea, the economy sucks, but who knows what it will look like by then, it could just get worse and worse. I am thinking about asking for at least 90 K. If they do that, ill defer and get a job teaching english in korea or something. But for right now, i dont know if it is worth it to defer.

Brick_Tamlin

Postby Brick_Tamlin » Wed May 26, 2010 3:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

3) Employer's value work experience, so you can either get some or get more than you otherwise would have had

4) The economy

5) The economy

6) The economy

Defer.

No one is going to hire someone for a year for any work experience that will give me a leg up in OCI. And yea, the economy sucks, but who knows what it will look like by then, it could just get worse and worse. I am thinking about asking for at least 90 K. If they do that, ill defer and get a job teaching english in korea or something. But for right now, i dont know if it is worth it to defer.

Has anyone been given this offer who wasn't out of undergrad? It seems like it would be more appealing to someone who already had a job and could just stay there for another year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 26, 2010 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

4) The economy

5) The economy

6) The economy

Defer.

I just got an offer as well. Probably will not accept. Are you really planning on negotiating? Let us know how it goes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 26, 2010 3:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

4) The economy

5) The economy

6) The economy

Defer.

I just got an offer as well. Probably will not accept. Are you really planning on negotiating? Let us know how it goes.

Yea, I figure i have leverage, so why not negotiate. It could end up being a win - win (me with more $$ and the, with less students). They must have like 450 people enrolled if they are offering up money like this to people like me.

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Wed May 26, 2010 3:13 pm

I wonder what the class size will be if people choose not to defer.

Return to “Legal Employment”