Help! Question about NYC Big Law Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jitsrenzo

Bronze

Re: Help! Question about NYC Big Law

Post by jitsrenzo » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:29 pm

disco_barred wrote:
On top of that, worked hours are typically longer than billed hours -- so if you bill 65 hours in a week, you are probably working 70-80. As far as disco_barred's comment goes, I have no idea what the averages are at most firms, but it's reassuring that not many seem to average that much work. There are certainly associates and partners at my firm (V10, though I'm an admin) who have families. How well they're able to balance that is anybody's guess, and probably varies from person to person.
People, do some math. If you bill 65 hours per week for 50 weeks in a year, that's 3,250 billable hours. THAT DOES NOT HAPPEN. 1,950-2,000 is a very common billable hour target.

If I recall correctly, the hours survey had Wachtell associates on top with associates WORKING (not billing) an average north of 65 hours per week, then a few firms (ala Cravath) just over 60 hours per week average, then the rest in the mid-to-high 50s.[/quote]

No kidding. 55 - 60 hours worked is the more realistic number, and that is NOT BAD.

Don't be scared of a little hard work, folks. We're talking 160K starting + bonus for people in their mid to late 20s. That's pretty sweet.

Bert

Bronze

Re: Help! Question about NYC Big Law

Post by Bert » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:36 pm

I think the most associates at biglaw firms are expected to bill about 2200 to 2400 hours in order to be considered for bonuses. Also, attorneys tend to work 48 (not 50) weeks of the year. From what I can tell from my perch, biglaw attorneys get 4 weeks vacation a year. That being said, 2200 hours divided by 48 comes out to about 46 billable hours per work week, and yes, there is a difference between billable hours and hours at your desk. Most associates do not bill every single minute they are at their desk.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”