Long Term Career Prospects in Prosecution Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Fiddler

New

Long Term Career Prospects in Prosecution

Post by Fiddler » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:31 am

Hi everyone,

This is probably a dumb question, but here goes...

I would really like to spend the bulk of my career in Criminal Prosecution (if at all possible). However, after checking out the salaries in this field - it appears that they start fairly low and that there is no promise that they will go up higher.

Is it possible for someone to do prosecution for many years and then move to another field for a while for significantly greater money? I would really like to do prosecution for most of my life, but supporting a family and saving for retirement in middle age on 60k seems a little tough.

Also, as a side question: how many hours do ADAs work on average? 50, 60, 70?

Thanks,

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Re: Long Term Career Prospects in Prosecution

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:43 am

You could probably easily transition from the DA's office to a firm that does defense for people with the money to pay for it.

Esc

Silver

Re: Long Term Career Prospects in Prosecution

Post by Esc » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:55 am

Fiddler wrote:Hi everyone,

This is probably a dumb question, but here goes...

I would really like to spend the bulk of my career in Criminal Prosecution (if at all possible). However, after checking out the salaries in this field - it appears that they start fairly low and that there is no promise that they will go up higher.

Is it possible for someone to do prosecution for many years and then move to another field for a while for significantly greater money? I would really like to do prosecution for most of my life, but supporting a family and saving for retirement in middle age on 60k seems a little tough.

Also, as a side question: how many hours do ADAs work on average? 50, 60, 70?

Thanks,
I don't know how the salaries for ADAs work in your state, but I'm pretty sure that in a lot of states they rise fairly significantly over time. In Texas most counties start ADA's out at about ~50k/year, but go up to ~70k after 5 years, ~90-100k after 10, and ~110-125k after 15. That's pretty decent money.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”