What are the chances of this happening?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

What are the chances of this happening?

Postby tigerlilly17 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:01 am

I am going through foreclosure now. My lawyers and the bank are working together toward deed-in-lieu of foreclosure but it will still have a negative impact on my credit report. Fine, I can deal with that. However, I am also starting law school this fall and I have heard that some states will not allow applicants with "bad credit" admission to the bar, or to sit for the exam.

I would assume that 3 to 4 years after completing the foreclosure process, my credit score would pick up, taking into account timely credit card payments, not defaulting, etc. But will Bar Associations look into my past, see the foreclosure and tell me tough luck? I'd hate to spend three years in law school only to get shafted by this crappy economy...yet again!

I have read some horror stories about the FL Bar.

Any words of wisdom?

Action Jackson

Re: What are the chances of this happening?

Postby Action Jackson » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:06 pm

Contact the bar immediately and start talking to them about this. Most local bars are extremely helpful about answering C&F questions before you go into law school. If you've been admitted to a school, contact them too and get their thoughts on it. You are 100% right in not wanting to put money into a law degree if you're going to have a C&F problem.

Re: What are the chances of this happening?

Postby Oblomov » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:06 am

Return to “Legal Employment”