2009 NLJ 250 Placement Stats

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Black-Blue
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:46 pm

2009 NLJ 250 Placement Stats

Postby Black-Blue » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:18 am


User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: 2009 NLJ 250 Placement Stats

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:33 am

I think this has been posted 15 times. Also, why are you posting anonymously?

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: 2009 NLJ 250 Placement Stats

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:34 am

Both of these posters should be outed. Mods really need to start de-anonymizing posts that abuse the anonymous feature to convince people to stop doing it.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: 2009 NLJ 250 Placement Stats

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:39 am

Poster #1 is Black-Blue. Poster #2 is generally wise, so I'll let him make his point.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: 2009 NLJ 250 Placement Stats

Postby A'nold » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:57 am

If these numbers are legit, why do people say that only like the top 2% of like Loyola Chicago grads can get biglaw? It says that 15% gets NLJ 250. These stats are not legit, right?

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: 2009 NLJ 250 Placement Stats

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:59 am

A'nold wrote:If these numbers are legit, why do people say that only like the top 2% of like Loyola Chicago grads can get biglaw? It says that 15% gets NLJ 250. These stats are not legit, right?


They are, but the class of '09 did OCI in 2007, before all hell broke loose. Numbers for NYC schools are depressed because of the large number of no offers which occurred after said breaking loose of hell.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: 2009 NLJ 250 Placement Stats

Postby A'nold » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:11 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
A'nold wrote:If these numbers are legit, why do people say that only like the top 2% of like Loyola Chicago grads can get biglaw? It says that 15% gets NLJ 250. These stats are not legit, right?


They are, but the class of '09 did OCI in 2007, before all hell broke loose. Numbers for NYC schools are depressed because of the large number of no offers which occurred after said breaking loose of hell.


Ah. This list still suprises me because I remember researching law schools back then and people generally said you had to be in the top 5% to have a shot at biglaw from a Loyola-Chicago kind of school. According to this list, at that time 15% got NLJ 250 and who knows how many got decent midlaw kind of jobs. 30% of the class could have possibly done well as far as starting salary goes.

I wonder if Vandy really does place a higher percentage of its students in NLJ 250 firms than Georgetown. I know Georgetown has a crap ton of students but that still surprised me.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: 2009 NLJ 250 Placement Stats

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:13 am

A'nold wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
A'nold wrote:If these numbers are legit, why do people say that only like the top 2% of like Loyola Chicago grads can get biglaw? It says that 15% gets NLJ 250. These stats are not legit, right?


They are, but the class of '09 did OCI in 2007, before all hell broke loose. Numbers for NYC schools are depressed because of the large number of no offers which occurred after said breaking loose of hell.


Ah. This list still suprises me because I remember researching law schools back then and people generally said you had to be in the top 5% to have a shot at biglaw from a Loyola-Chicago kind of school. According to this list, at that time 15% got NLJ 250 and who knows how many got decent midlaw kind of jobs. 30% of the class could have possibly done well as far as starting salary goes.

I wonder if Vandy really does place a higher percentage of its students in NLJ 250 firms than Georgetown. I know Georgetown has a crap ton of students but that still surprised me.


I congratulated Observationalist earlier on some very effective trolling. :mrgreen: It doesn't surprise me, though. That place is on fire, and it's small enough that the CSO can take time with every student, according to Vandy's biggest fan.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: 2009 NLJ 250 Placement Stats

Postby A'nold » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:18 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
A'nold wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote:
A'nold wrote:If these numbers are legit, why do people say that only like the top 2% of like Loyola Chicago grads can get biglaw? It says that 15% gets NLJ 250. These stats are not legit, right?


They are, but the class of '09 did OCI in 2007, before all hell broke loose. Numbers for NYC schools are depressed because of the large number of no offers which occurred after said breaking loose of hell.


Ah. This list still suprises me because I remember researching law schools back then and people generally said you had to be in the top 5% to have a shot at biglaw from a Loyola-Chicago kind of school. According to this list, at that time 15% got NLJ 250 and who knows how many got decent midlaw kind of jobs. 30% of the class could have possibly done well as far as starting salary goes.

I wonder if Vandy really does place a higher percentage of its students in NLJ 250 firms than Georgetown. I know Georgetown has a crap ton of students but that still surprised me.


I congratulated Observationalist earlier on some very effective trolling. :mrgreen: It doesn't surprise me, though. That place is on fire, and it's small enough that the CSO can take time with every student, according to Vandy's biggest fan.


Hmmm....that's interesting. I wonder how the school is faring in this market. Not to derail the thread, but how mobile is a Vandy degree?

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: 2009 NLJ 250 Placement Stats

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:21 am

A'nold wrote:Hmmm....that's interesting. I wonder how the school is faring in this market. Not to derail the thread, but how mobile is a Vandy degree?


Where is he? I was his apprentice in fine trollcraft (er, I mean school boosting), but I'm not going to do all his trolling for him. :mrgreen: The answer is, pretty mobile, within the south and mid-Atlantic, anyway, and also in New York and DC. Vandy actually publishes full employment lists, unlike 99% of other schools, so you can have a look. The school is very worth your transfer app, IMO.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: 2009 NLJ 250 Placement Stats

Postby A'nold » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:01 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
A'nold wrote:Hmmm....that's interesting. I wonder how the school is faring in this market. Not to derail the thread, but how mobile is a Vandy degree?


Where is he? I was his apprentice in fine trollcraft (er, I mean school boosting), but I'm not going to do all his trolling for him. :mrgreen: The answer is, pretty mobile, within the south and mid-Atlantic, anyway, and also in New York and DC. Vandy actually publishes full employment lists, unlike 99% of other schools, so you can have a look. The school is very worth your transfer app, IMO.



That's good to know, thanks for the info. So, when do the new stats come out? :)

User avatar
jay115
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:01 pm

Re: 2009 NLJ 250 Placement Stats

Postby jay115 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:44 am

vanwinkle wrote:Both of these posters should be outed. Mods really need to start de-anonymizing posts that abuse the anonymous feature to convince people to stop doing it.


lol who cares if someone posts anonymously or not?

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: 2009 NLJ 250 Placement Stats

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:33 am

jay115 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:Both of these posters should be outed. Mods really need to start de-anonymizing posts that abuse the anonymous feature to convince people to stop doing it.


lol who cares if someone posts anonymously or not?

The anonymous feature exists in a very limited fashion to allow anonymity when disclosing potentially damaging facts regarding employment. Outside of that context, anonymity lowers accountability and disrupts the flow of conversation.

User avatar
jay115
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:01 pm

Re: 2009 NLJ 250 Placement Stats

Postby jay115 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:03 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
jay115 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:Both of these posters should be outed. Mods really need to start de-anonymizing posts that abuse the anonymous feature to convince people to stop doing it.


lol who cares if someone posts anonymously or not?

The anonymous feature exists in a very limited fashion to allow anonymity when disclosing potentially damaging facts regarding employment. Outside of that context, anonymity lowers accountability and disrupts the flow of conversation.


OP posted two links and solicited opinions. What exactly do you believe he or she ought to be held accountable for?

Also, how do anonymous postings "disrupt the flow of conversation"? This is an on-line forum, which means most of the people you're conversing with are substantially anonymous and will remain anonymous to you unless you know them outside of the TLS forum.

User avatar
98234872348
Posts: 1547
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: 2009 NLJ 250 Placement Stats

Postby 98234872348 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:07 pm

jay115 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
jay115 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:Both of these posters should be outed. Mods really need to start de-anonymizing posts that abuse the anonymous feature to convince people to stop doing it.


lol who cares if someone posts anonymously or not?

The anonymous feature exists in a very limited fashion to allow anonymity when disclosing potentially damaging facts regarding employment. Outside of that context, anonymity lowers accountability and disrupts the flow of conversation.


OP posted two links and solicited opinions. What exactly do you believe he or she ought to be held accountable for?

It's not necessarily that OP did anything wrong per say in using the anonymous feature, but that the potential for abuse exists and therefore the moderators are keeping the use of the feature limited in order that such abuse does not ensue.

User avatar
OperaSoprano
Posts: 4410
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: 2009 NLJ 250 Placement Stats

Postby OperaSoprano » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:24 pm

jay115 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
jay115 wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:Both of these posters should be outed. Mods really need to start de-anonymizing posts that abuse the anonymous feature to convince people to stop doing it.


lol who cares if someone posts anonymously or not?

The anonymous feature exists in a very limited fashion to allow anonymity when disclosing potentially damaging facts regarding employment. Outside of that context, anonymity lowers accountability and disrupts the flow of conversation.


OP posted two links and solicited opinions. What exactly do you believe he or she ought to be held accountable for?

Also, how do anonymous postings "disrupt the flow of conversation"? This is an on-line forum, which means most of the people you're conversing with are substantially anonymous and will remain anonymous to you unless you know them outside of the TLS forum.


If you would like to know why TLS does not permit abuse of the anonymous feature, please visit AutoAdmit and JDU. (It's a similar dynamic, and both these sites are good examples of what we don't want TLS to become.)

Furthermore, if your logic is correct, you shouldn't need an anonymous feature, as you ought to be amply protected under your username. The community here is welcoming precisely because posters are held to high standards; those who are rude, cruel, or obvious flames find homes on other message boards. TLS is a network of friends who are in law school or currently in the application process. Sometimes we recognize that extra anonymity is necessary (I've used the anonymous feature myself, since I'm not exactly anonymous when posting as OS), but this is done only when I have to write about something job or GPA related. When people post using their regular usernames, it creates a community in which friendships and even relationships (there have been three TLS weddings to date) get formed, as trust is fostered.

User avatar
jay115
Posts: 450
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:01 pm

Re: 2009 NLJ 250 Placement Stats

Postby jay115 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:21 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
jay115 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:The anonymous feature exists in a very limited fashion to allow anonymity when disclosing potentially damaging facts regarding employment. Outside of that context, anonymity lowers accountability and disrupts the flow of conversation.


OP posted two links and solicited opinions. What exactly do you believe he or she ought to be held accountable for?

Also, how do anonymous postings "disrupt the flow of conversation"? This is an on-line forum, which means most of the people you're conversing with are substantially anonymous and will remain anonymous to you unless you know them outside of the TLS forum.


If you would like to know why TLS does not permit abuse of the anonymous feature, please visit AutoAdmit and JDU. (It's a similar dynamic, and both these sites are good examples of what we don't want TLS to become.)

Furthermore, if your logic is correct, you shouldn't need an anonymous feature, as you ought to be amply protected under your username. The community here is welcoming precisely because posters are held to high standards; those who are rude, cruel, or obvious flames find homes on other message boards. TLS is a network of friends who are in law school or currently in the application process. Sometimes we recognize that extra anonymity is necessary (I've used the anonymous feature myself, since I'm not exactly anonymous when posting as OS), but this is done only when I have to write about something job or GPA related. When people post using their regular usernames, it creates a community in which friendships and even relationships (there have been three TLS weddings to date) get formed, as trust is fostered.


No, the logic of the argument does not follow. I distinguished between "substantial" anonymity and "unsubstantial" anonymity by which I mean the former to mean one does not know who the pseudonym corresponds to in the real world whereas the latter one could be identified when sufficient information exists (eg. - IP address, past solicited/offered information, links, etc). In other words, a pseudonym is not sufficient but necessary to achieve complete anonymity that your argument suggests. Thus, the "anonymous posting" option on TLS.

Regardless, I understand - community of peers who don't slander/cuss out each other as on xoxo.

And TLS weddings? oh my.

User avatar
XxSpyKEx
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: 2009 NLJ 250 Placement Stats

Postby XxSpyKEx » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:31 pm

OperaSoprano wrote:
jay115 wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
jay115 wrote:
lol who cares if someone posts anonymously or not?

The anonymous feature exists in a very limited fashion to allow anonymity when disclosing potentially damaging facts regarding employment. Outside of that context, anonymity lowers accountability and disrupts the flow of conversation.


OP posted two links and solicited opinions. What exactly do you believe he or she ought to be held accountable for?

Also, how do anonymous postings "disrupt the flow of conversation"? This is an on-line forum, which means most of the people you're conversing with are substantially anonymous and will remain anonymous to you unless you know them outside of the TLS forum.


If you would like to know why TLS does not permit abuse of the anonymous feature, please visit AutoAdmit and JDU. (It's a similar dynamic, and both these sites are good examples of what we don't want TLS to become.)

Furthermore, if your logic is correct, you shouldn't need an anonymous feature, as you ought to be amply protected under your username. The community here is welcoming precisely because posters are held to high standards; those who are rude, cruel, or obvious flames find homes on other message boards. TLS is a network of friends who are in law school or currently in the application process. Sometimes we recognize that extra anonymity is necessary (I've used the anonymous feature myself, since I'm not exactly anonymous when posting as OS), but this is done only when I have to write about something job or GPA related. When people post using their regular usernames, it creates a community in which friendships and even relationships (there have been three TLS weddings to date) get formed, as trust is fostered.


"Moderating" the anonymous feature seems to derail threads more than anything. Practically every other thread on this forum has someone asking "why is this anonymous" or bitching about it in someway. Mods should just start temp-banning people, which aren't mods, who bitch about others abusing the anonymous feature.

EDIT- If this is c/o 2009 (which were hired as SAs in 2007), I can't wait to see what the c/o 2011 numbers look like.

User avatar
TTT-LS
Posts: 764
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:36 pm

Re: 2009 NLJ 250 Placement Stats

Postby TTT-LS » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:48 pm

.
Last edited by TTT-LS on Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: 2009 NLJ 250 Placement Stats

Postby rayiner » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:55 pm

TTT-LS wrote:

I think that Northwestern is doing an excellent job staying in tune with what legal employers want and the data bears this out.


+1.

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: 2009 NLJ 250 Placement Stats

Postby wiseowl » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:02 pm

this data is borderline too old to be relevant.

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: 2009 NLJ 250 Placement Stats

Postby 270910 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:09 pm

wiseowl wrote:this data is borderline too old to be relevant.


Would you rather we use the C/O 2008 data?

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: 2009 NLJ 250 Placement Stats

Postby wiseowl » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:10 pm

disco_barred wrote:
wiseowl wrote:this data is borderline too old to be relevant.


Would you rather we use the C/O 2008 data?


no, but people sitting around cheerleading their schools based on interviews that happened in August 2007 seems pretty silly.

User avatar
edgarderby
Posts: 279
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:51 pm

Re: 2009 NLJ 250 Placement Stats

Postby edgarderby » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:17 am

Oh man, I almost teared up looking at those notre dame stats. Never forget - OCI 2009. Rest in peace friend.

fortissimo
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:05 am

Re: 2009 NLJ 250 Placement Stats

Postby fortissimo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:36 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:
EDIT- If this is c/o 2009 (which were hired as SAs in 2007), I can't wait to see what the c/o 2011 numbers look like.


ditto. I'm going to guess, top 1/3 SA placement for top 10s outside of HYS? hahaha




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.