Midlaw and small law salaries

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Midlaw and small law salaries

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:28 am

I know that most midlaw and small law salaries start off at 40-60k, but with time, do these lawyers get higher salaries?

Anonymous User

Re: Midlaw and small law salaries

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:34 am

I am interested in this too, particularly for smaller New England markets such as Portland, ME, or Burlington, VT.

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:30 am

All it takes is one fat tort claim in the right state.

vtoodler

Postby vtoodler » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:03 am

edgarderby, is infirmation a unbiased source?

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:18 am

vtoodler wrote:edgarderby, is infirmation a unbiased source?

I personally know for some firms the $ is not right, its old or just completely off base (Ohio markets)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:32 am

The chart is ancient (the salary for the firms in MS is $30,000 below what it is now for entry level associates).

NALPdirectory.com is a good start.

While a lot of firms are not on there, many midlaw firms and good boutique firms pay about (maybe a little less) than the firms on there do (in there respective markets).

For example there are only like 6 firms for Jackson, MS on NALP. However I know of another 6 there that pay market and are pretty large.

Honestly it seems to follow that the bigger the market, the more firms that are there that would pay close to market.

I.e. lets say NYC had 100 firm offices that paid $160,000. There are probably 300 other firm offices that paid $100,000+. Of course, I'm not saying that the other firms are any easier to get into (sometimes harder).

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:37 am

My mid-law salary started at 65k with a small bonus and small profit share.

Have gotten a steady 10k bump after that (and from what I hear internally, thats pretty common each year).

Its not models and bottles, but in a few years its certainly a nice wage and if you hit partnership, its clearly much better.

However, as an aside, I do have friends that graduated from my TTT with me and have been out working since Summer 2008 and are STILL making less than 45k in small private practices. Most small offices, unless you hit on of the true boutique type practices, pay complete shit in almost any market.

Cole S. Law

Postby Cole S. Law » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:11 am

There are quite a few firms around here that start associates at 75-100K. The common mistaken assumption is that these "midlaw" firms offer a carefree, low-stress lifestyle. The only difference between the lifestyle at these firms and the V 100 is the pay. Most are offshoots from the big boys and therefore expect the same from their underlings.

Small law is just as bad. Down on their luck winos who tripped at Wal Mart are notoriously difficult to meet with during regular business hours.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:39 am

vtoodler wrote:edgarderby, is infirmation a unbiased source?

Unbiased perhaps, but it hasn't been updated in ages. I see several firms that say 80k when I know for a fact they now pay 110k-125k.

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Cole S. Law wrote:There are quite a few firms around here that start associates at 75-100K. The common mistaken assumption is that these "midlaw" firms offer a carefree, low-stress lifestyle. The only difference between the lifestyle at these firms and the V 100 is the pay. Most are offshoots from the big boys and therefore expect the same from their underlings.

Small law is just as bad. Down on their luck winos who tripped at Wal Mart are notoriously difficult to meet with during regular business hours.

All true.

FiveSermon

Postby FiveSermon » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:30 pm

So this just reinforces my idea of biglaw or bust if small/midlaw is pretty much biglaw with shittier pay.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:52 pm

reasonable_man wrote:However, as an aside, I do have friends that graduated from my TTT with me and have been out working since Summer 2008 and are STILL making less than 45k in small private practices.

Are these friends in large metropolitan areas? What kind of grades did they have? I only ask because making <$45k 3 years out of law school just seems completely unreal. I was making $52k as a legal assistant at a small-mid law firm prior to starting LS (which is a TTT), and I would pretty upset to rejoin the workforce making less than I did before I went $200k in debt.

Redsgomarchingon

Postby Redsgomarchingon » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
reasonable_man wrote:However, as an aside, I do have friends that graduated from my TTT with me and have been out working since Summer 2008 and are STILL making less than 45k in small private practices.

Are these friends in large metropolitan areas? What kind of grades did they have? I only ask because making <$45k 3 years out of law school just seems completely unreal. I was making $52k as a legal assistant at a small-mid law firm prior to starting LS (which is a TTT), and I would pretty upset to rejoin the workforce making less than I did before I went $200k in debt.

these guys posted in feb 2010, so you probably won't get a response

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:

You worked in the field and find it hard to believe this? There are T1 grads earning NOTHING as they sit unemployed right now... Why would it shock you to learn that firms are also low balling employees because they can?? 45k is the low end, but it happens. These are typically Low T1,TT and TTT grads median and up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:33 am

reasonable_man wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You worked in the field and find it hard to believe this? There are T1 grads earning NOTHING as they sit unemployed right now... Why would it shock you to learn that firms are also low balling employees because they can?? 45k is the low end, but it happens. These are typically Low T1,TT and TTT grads median and up.

I suppose, I guess I thought firms either hired at a decent price (at least $65k) or just didn't hire at all. I know at my old firm they slowed down on the hiring, but those they did hire still started at about $75k.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:24 pm

Take a look in this month's ABA Journal. I think that the figures for the El Paso area are pretty accurate. Don't know about other areas, though.

cmraider

Postby cmraider » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:30 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:Take a look in this month's ABA Journal. I think that the figures for the El Paso area are pretty accurate. Don't know about other areas, though.

link?

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:38 pm

Just surf over to http://www.americanbar.org and look under "publications" then "Journal" then "current issue".

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:41 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:Just surf over to http://www.americanbar.org and look under "publications" then "Journal" then "current issue".

Just link us

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:37 pm

FWIW - The Michigan information is pretty much accurate on that infirmation link. There probably has been some fluctuation, but its pretty much how I remember from OCI with Michigan firms.

Someone above said midlaw firms are like biglaw with less pay. That may be true to an extent, but you do have to figure in cost of living.

However, there is a limit to reasonableness - I know people who work at Kitch in Detroit - they bill something like 1900 hours per year for <$40,000! Its a tough choice when its that or not working at all I suppose. But the figure for Kitch in the infirmation link for Michigan is not a typo.
Last edited by NotMyRealName09 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cmraider

Postby cmraider » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:40 pm

I'll post what BeautifulSW should have: http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/arti ... yers_earn/

Return to “Legal Employment”