Portland, Oregon BigLaw Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
expat

New

Portland, Oregon BigLaw

Post by expat » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:19 pm

I grew up in Portland and am interested in the possibility of returning for my 1L summer and/or after graduation, and I'm curious if anyone on TLS could shed some light on the state of the legal market there.

Specifically, it would be great if anyone knew the answers to questions like these:

1) What kind of pull does HYS/T6 have in securing positions in the corporate department of the bigger firms (Stoel Rives, etc)? Is it easy for people with ties, or is the market getting more competitive and/or protective towards PNW schools?
2) NALP seems to think several major firms there hire 1Ls, but is this still happening?
3) How is the QOL? I know the COL is low which offsets some of the pay decrease vs. bigger markets, but are there other benefits like reduced hours expectations?
4) Anyone have first hand experience as an SA or associate at any major Portland firms that could say something about it?

Thanks

Anonymous User

Re: Portland, Oregon BigLaw

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:58 pm

1) What kind of pull does HYS/T6 have in securing positions in the corporate department of the bigger firms (Stoel Rives, etc)? Is it easy for people with ties, or is the market getting more competitive and/or protective towards PNW schools?
Strong pull. At least in summer 2008, 2Ls at my T6 school had their pick of Portland firms (Perkins Coie, Stoel, Davis Wright Tremaine, etc.). As far as I know, though, each of these 2Ls had Portland ties.

From what I can tell, Portland firms are becoming less protective of PNW schools, not more. The firms know Portland's star is rising, and they're happy to hire from HYS, NYU, Boalt, etc. Sucks for students at UO, L&C, and Willamette.
2) NALP seems to think several major firms there hire 1Ls, but is this still happening?
I don't know. In summer 2007 and 2008, some of the big firms hired 1Ls. I don't know about now.
3) How is the QOL? I know the COL is low which offsets some of the pay decrease vs. bigger markets, but are there other benefits like reduced hours expectations?
QOL is relatively good, as far as big firms go. Similar to Seattle in a lot of ways. The billable hour reqs are lower than in NY, DC, Chicago, and SF. Pretty relaxed work environments (business casual dress, etc.).

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”