DC (preferably govt law)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DC (preferably govt law)

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:41 pm

T5 1L, looking for work in federal government or antitrust litigation firm after graduation. I had a so-so semester (A, B+, B). Didn't finish the two B range exams (is this a reasonable excuse/explanation)? Do these grades shoot me in the foot for DC law?

kurama20

Re: DC (preferably govt law)

Postby kurama20 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:48 pm

Doesn't your school keep grade distributions for firms that hire from your school? Regardless, I'm sure you can get DC firms with those grades, just not the more elite ones (assuming by top 5 you mean one of CCN, which I guess you have to since you gave letter grades).

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:39 pm

edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:51 pm

thesealocust wrote:
kurama20 wrote:Doesn't your school keep grade distributions for firms that hire from your school? Regardless, I'm sure you can get DC firms with those grades, just not the more elite ones (assuming by top 5 you mean one of CCN, which I guess you have to since you gave letter grades).

AHHHHHHHHHHHH. 0L be gone! Shoo! Out!

That's the first thing you've ever said that I agree with.

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:52 pm

Renzo wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
kurama20 wrote:Doesn't your school keep grade distributions for firms that hire from your school? Regardless, I'm sure you can get DC firms with those grades, just not the more elite ones (assuming by top 5 you mean one of CCN, which I guess you have to since you gave letter grades).

:lol: LOL aren't you a 1L who just got his first law school grades? lol! Not to mention what I said was common sense (and true).
Last edited by kurama20 on Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:53 pm

Last edited by thesealocust on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:57 pm

kurama20 wrote:
Renzo wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

:lol: LOL aren't you a 1L who just got his first law school grades? lol! Not to mention what I said was common sense (and true).

You mean a 1L with grades, who's applied/interviewed for jobs, has met with the OCS people repeatedly, talked with 2Ls/3Ls/alums, partied with kids from other schools also looking for work, spoken with hiring partners...

Yup. You got me. Proceed. I think you were telling me about the hiring environment at the school I attend.

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:00 pm

Renzo wrote:You mean a 1L with grades, who's applied/interviewed for jobs, has met with the OCS people repeatedly, talked with 2Ls/3Ls/alums, partied with kids from other schools also looking for work, spoken with hiring partners...

Yup. You got me. Proceed. I think you were telling me about the hiring environment at the school I attend.

WTF are you talking about? We don't know what school the OP goes to (he could be at either CLS or NYU). And I didn't realize you had gone through both 1L and 2L OCIs and gotten a job, because that's the only thing on your list that I haven't done beside interview (and interviewing is a far cry from getting a job). Besides I never said that I knew more than you did about your school. lol and again, the bottom line is that nothing I said was wrong! :lol:

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:04 pm

kurama20 wrote:
Renzo wrote:You mean a 1L with grades, who's applied/interviewed for jobs, has met with the OCS people repeatedly, talked with 2Ls/3Ls/alums, partied with kids from other schools also looking for work, spoken with hiring partners...

WTF are you talking about? We don't know what school the OP goes to (he could be at either CLS or NYU). And I didn't realize you had gone through both 1L and 2L OCIs and gotten a job, because that's the only thing on your list that I haven't done beside interview (and interviewing is a far cry from getting a job). Besides I never said that I knew more than you did about your school. lol and again, the bottom line is that nothing I said was wrong! :lol:

Why don't you tell us all a little about yourself, and where you get your expertise on legal hiring and job prospects?

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:06 pm

Last edited by thesealocust on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:08 pm

Renzo wrote:
kurama20 wrote:

Why don't you tell us all a little about yourself, and where you get your expertise on legal hiring and job prospects?

I was thinking of asking you the same thing. So apparently you know that the grades of the OP are not good enough to get a job in DC and you seem to know that his school doesn't keep hiring grids with grade cutoffs for various firms. Can you please tell me who informed you of this and how you know this? I was informed otherwise (as I said in my original post). Thank you!

--ImageRemoved--
Last edited by kurama20 on Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:09 pm

kurama20 wrote:I was thinking of asking you the same thing. So apparently you know that the grades of the OP are not good enough to get a job in DC and you seem to know that his school doesn't keep hiring grids with grade cutoffs for various firms. Can you please tell me who informed you of this and how you know this? Thank you!

And after you get done answering my question, you can point out where I said or implied anything of the sort.

kurama20

Postby kurama20 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:11 pm

Renzo wrote:
kurama20 wrote:I was thinking of asking you the same thing. So apparently you know that the grades of the OP are not good enough to get a job in DC and you seem to know that his school doesn't keep hiring grids with grade cutoffs for various firms. Can you please tell me who informed you of this and how you know this? Thank you!

And after you get done answering my question, you can point out where I said or implied anything of the sort.

--ImageRemoved--

So basically you were just BULLSHITTING! :lol: :lol: :lol:

--ImageRemoved--
Last edited by kurama20 on Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:13 pm

Clever pictures, guy. That really showed me. But seriously, answer my questions.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:23 pm

Huh. His mom must have called him for dinner.

OP, there isn't enough info about what you are shooting for to determine anything. If you want IRS or DOJ Honors, you really need tippy-top grades. If you want to work for the USDA, maybe not so much. If you're just worried about getting any job in DC, use this summer to find work there. It'll help you build your backstory about why you want to be in DC.

Return to “Legal Employment”