Magistrate Judge? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Magistrate Judge?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:31 am

How much worse, regarding prestige, is a magistrate judge compared to a district judge in a state's federal district court?

thesealocust

Platinum

Re: Magistrate Judge?

Post by thesealocust » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:26 am

n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spinoza

New

Post by Spinoza » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:41 am

The advice I have heard from the clerkship person in my careers office is that that there is no real prestige factor when it comes to judicial externships. There is really just getting one or not getting one. Getting one (any one) is good. Firms are more interested in the fact that you got the experience. They might also like the fact that you know a judge if you want to be a litigator, but even this is not such a big deal.

markymark

Bronze

Post by markymark » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:23 pm

probably not as interesting work, but probably no discernible difference in future job prospects. Looking over sample resumes of 2Ls on career services, they don't even indicate whether or not the judge they interned for was a magistrate judge. They jsut say intern to "the honorable x, Federal District for the S.D.N.Y...."

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:20 pm

markymark wrote:probably not as interesting work, but probably no discernible difference in future job prospects. Looking over sample resumes of 2Ls on career services, they don't even indicate whether or not the judge they interned for was a magistrate judge. They jsut say intern to "the honorable x, Federal District for the S.D.N.Y...."
I'm curious why you say the bolded: in my (limited) experience, the types of cases assigned to magistrate judges vary little if any from the cases their Art. III counterparts handle. From what I've seen, courts often divvy up the docket based on the relevant experience/interest of the judges, rather than status.

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:52 am

Anonymous Loser wrote:
markymark wrote:probably not as interesting work, but probably no discernible difference in future job prospects. Looking over sample resumes of 2Ls on career services, they don't even indicate whether or not the judge they interned for was a magistrate judge. They jsut say intern to "the honorable x, Federal District for the S.D.N.Y...."
I'm curious why you say the bolded: in my (limited) experience, the types of cases assigned to magistrate judges vary little if any from the cases their Art. III counterparts handle. From what I've seen, courts often divvy up the docket based on the relevant experience/interest of the judges, rather than status.
There are some slight differences, but generally it is the same work. For a Magistrate Judge to hear a case, there must be an agreement between the parties to hear it in front of a judge (which is almost always, if not always, freely given). They also have some restrictions as to what they can do with felony cases.

If you want to see the powers of the Magistrate Judges in the USC, it's 28 USC 636.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”