Drexel Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
Mulliganstew
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:41 pm

Drexel Class of 2012

Postby Mulliganstew » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:46 pm

On the off chance that I'm not the only person here who sent in their deposit to Drexel, I figured I'd start up the thread.
Last edited by Mulliganstew on Thu May 07, 2009 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
pany1985
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:08 am

Re: Drexel Law Class of 2012

Postby pany1985 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:50 pm

I'm not going to Drexel, but (in the spirit of today's rankings obsession) I'm curious when they're gonna be in the USNWR for the first time

Anyone know?

User avatar
Mulliganstew
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:41 pm

Re: Drexel Law Class of 2012

Postby Mulliganstew » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:57 pm

A Drexel 3L said he was discussing it with Rutgers students and they came to an agreement that they'd be above Rutgers but below Temple. I'd guess low 80's.

But, yeah the next couple years they'll debut.
Last edited by Mulliganstew on Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PhillyLawGirl
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Drexel Law Class of 2012

Postby PhillyLawGirl » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:11 pm

They won't be ranked until they're officially accredited...probably 2010/2011 USNWR. But, I'd say somewhere between Temple (59) and Rutgers (77).

I sent in my deposit a few weeks ago to Drexel.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: Drexel Law Class of 2012

Postby superflush » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:25 pm

PhillyLawGirl wrote:They won't be ranked until they're officially accredited...probably 2010/2011 USNWR.


TITCR

User avatar
Mulliganstew
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:41 pm

Re: Drexel Law Class of 2012

Postby Mulliganstew » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:15 pm

I can't wait to find out where we'll debut. :mrgreen:

phillaw
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:26 pm

Re: Drexel Law Class of 2012

Postby phillaw » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:07 pm

I saw somewhere on the ABA site that provisional accreditation lasts 3-5 years.
http://www.abanet.org/legaled/resources ... eppweb.pdf

Since USN only ranks fully accredited schools, I think that pushes Drexel back to appearing in the April 2012 USN edition at the earliest. So just before the fall 2009 cohort graduates.

KiwiApple
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:59 pm

Re: Drexel Law Class of 2012

Postby KiwiApple » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:08 pm

pany1985 wrote:I'm not going to Drexel, but (in the spirit of today's rankings obsession) I'm curious when they're gonna be in the USNWR for the first time

Anyone know?



Before UCI.

User avatar
pany1985
Posts: 389
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:08 am

Re: Drexel Law Class of 2012

Postby pany1985 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:07 pm

Well obviously

User avatar
santdani
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:28 pm

Re: Drexel Law Class of 2012

Postby santdani » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:55 am

I sent in the deposit. There s still a chance I ll put off Law school for a year though; thanks by the way to Mulliganstew and Phillylawgirl for actively selling me on Drexel on my St. John's vs Drexel thread!

User avatar
Mulliganstew
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:41 pm

Re: Drexel Law Class of 2012

Postby Mulliganstew » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:21 pm

Drexel's amazing. The deans of admission already know my name. :shock:

User avatar
Mulliganstew
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:41 pm

Re: Drexel Law Class of 2012

Postby Mulliganstew » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:48 pm

Were any of you at the chat last night?

equinox
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:48 pm

Re: Drexel Law Class of 2012

Postby equinox » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:13 pm

I haven't made a final decision yet, but after touring Drexel Law recently and talking to students there, I have to say that many of my doubts were put to rest. The faculty is outstanding, the students are friendly, the city is awesome - I found very little to find fault with (and I'm generally very apt to find fault). The so-called "risks" of it being a new school and so on were really eating away at me, until I visited.

BTW, i missed the online chat but read the chat log they sent out - very informative, I thought. I am impressed with their willingness to address tough questions head on - that's what they need to do to build credibility, and they're doing a pretty good job of it, at least in my book.

User avatar
murphyslaw12
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:51 am

Re: Drexel Law Class of 2012

Postby murphyslaw12 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:57 am

I've been reading these board for awhile, but I literally registered just now so that I could post here that I am mailing my deposit today! So excited!

Hausey
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:34 am

Re: Drexel Law Class of 2012

Postby Hausey » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:07 pm

Hey everybody, current Drexel 1L here.

If you need anything, feel free to e-mail me: hause.kyle at gmail.com.

BiotechKid
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:39 pm

Re: Drexel Law Class of 2012

Postby BiotechKid » Fri May 01, 2009 6:09 pm

Just got back from the admitted students event today, it was a very nice event. Got some very interesting faculty...

A lot of anecdotal remarks about the love their students are receiving in the philadelphia law community, hard to decide whether or not to believe it of course (but I'm inclined to believe most of it). Seems that being the only law school that has very strong ties to the Philly bar association is paying off (all the current students mentioned the amazing networking opportunities they have had from attending bar association events and young lawyer events)... local attys that are alumni from Drexel undergrad probably help too

Now I just have to decide between coasts I guess :?

User avatar
murphyslaw12
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:51 am

Re: Drexel Law Class of 2012

Postby murphyslaw12 » Sun May 03, 2009 3:16 pm

Biotechkid - I was going through the same "which coast?" debate earlier in the cycle. Are you now just deciding between drexel and one other school? Did your deposit deadline not come yet?

User avatar
Mulliganstew
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:41 pm

Re: Drexel Law Class of 2012

Postby Mulliganstew » Tue May 05, 2009 1:31 pm

I'm honestly getting really excited. I'm moving to Philly the second weekend of June. Taking a trip there in a few weeks to find an apartment. :shock:

User avatar
murphyslaw12
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:51 am

Re: Drexel Law Class of 2012

Postby murphyslaw12 » Tue May 05, 2009 4:59 pm

I am very excited as well! I cannot wait to start looking for an apartment :) I live outside Philly now but I will be moving into the city itself sometime this summer. I was hoping to move by the time the Philly 4th of July celebration starts, but we'll see if that works out...Do you have an idea of which neighborhoods/areas of the city you'll be looking into?

Blake.Roth
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 4:37 pm

Re: Drexel Law Class of 2012

Postby Blake.Roth » Tue May 05, 2009 5:19 pm

Inaugural class member willing to answer any questions if any of you incoming students have some that need answering.

blake.d.roth at gmail

User avatar
Mulliganstew
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:41 pm

Re: Drexel Law Class of 2012

Postby Mulliganstew » Wed May 06, 2009 7:34 am

murphyslaw12 wrote:I am very excited as well! I cannot wait to start looking for an apartment :) I live outside Philly now but I will be moving into the city itself sometime this summer. I was hoping to move by the time the Philly 4th of July celebration starts, but we'll see if that works out...Do you have an idea of which neighborhoods/areas of the city you'll be looking into?


I'm looking at University City down between Walnut and Baltimore around 47th, Powellton Village (I was told a lot of law students live there.), and Collingswood in Jersey.

There's also a place I'm considering in Center City close to the river, but I don't think I can afford it.

User avatar
hypermeganet
Posts: 197
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:34 am

Re: Drexel Law Class of 2012

Postby hypermeganet » Wed May 06, 2009 8:08 am

Mulliganstew wrote:
murphyslaw12 wrote:I am very excited as well! I cannot wait to start looking for an apartment :) I live outside Philly now but I will be moving into the city itself sometime this summer. I was hoping to move by the time the Philly 4th of July celebration starts, but we'll see if that works out...Do you have an idea of which neighborhoods/areas of the city you'll be looking into?


I'm looking at University City down between Walnut and Baltimore around 47th, Powellton Village (I was told a lot of law students live there.), and Collingswood in Jersey.

There's also a place I'm considering in Center City close to the river, but I don't think I can afford it.


Walnut and 47th = not so good. Baltimore and 47th = good. That area (Clark Park) literally can change block to block in terms of safety. In fact, most of UCity is that way outside of the confines of Penn/Drexel's main campus area. And it's really far from Drexel. ~17 blocks or so from the law school. Powelton Village is right on Drexel's northern border (32nd-36th and Race area). Much more convenient, a bit safer, but loaded with undergrads. Collingswood is far, too, but if you don't mind driving in daily, it could be ok.

sbalive
Posts: 399
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:05 pm

Re: Drexel Law Class of 2012

Postby sbalive » Wed May 06, 2009 9:54 am

hypermeganet wrote:
Mulliganstew wrote:
murphyslaw12 wrote:I am very excited as well! I cannot wait to start looking for an apartment :) I live outside Philly now but I will be moving into the city itself sometime this summer. I was hoping to move by the time the Philly 4th of July celebration starts, but we'll see if that works out...Do you have an idea of which neighborhoods/areas of the city you'll be looking into?


I'm looking at University City down between Walnut and Baltimore around 47th, Powellton Village (I was told a lot of law students live there.), and Collingswood in Jersey.

There's also a place I'm considering in Center City close to the river, but I don't think I can afford it.


Walnut and 47th = not so good. Baltimore and 47th = good. That area (Clark Park) literally can change block to block in terms of safety. In fact, most of UCity is that way outside of the confines of Penn/Drexel's main campus area. And it's really far from Drexel. ~17 blocks or so from the law school. Powelton Village is right on Drexel's northern border (32nd-36th and Race area). Much more convenient, a bit safer, but loaded with undergrads. Collingswood is far, too, but if you don't mind driving in daily, it could be ok.


Well, I do think Baltimore and 47th is ok for Drexel - it's 10 minutes by the 34 trolley (runs on Baltimore), and it stops near the law school. Powelton Village is full of undergrads, and be careful the closer you approach Powelton - and I wouldn't live past it. Some people do, but it's not really worth the risk to safety and lack of anything around it to make it worthwhile.

I think Center City is great. But, it might be a better choice for 2L/3L when you have more time to do stuff and might be doing a co-op working in downtown. Also, as for Collingswood - you'd either have to drive, or I know people who commute in from there who do PATCO to 8th St. and then the El to 34th, but that might be around 30-35 minutes. Drexel isn't the best campus for parking.

User avatar
murphyslaw12
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:51 am

Re: Drexel Law Class of 2012

Postby murphyslaw12 » Wed May 06, 2009 10:40 am

I would love love love to live in Old City, but I don't know if being on a student's budget would make that a very wise choise... I also really like the Fairmount/Art Museum area (the Ben Franklin Parkway area is one of my favorite parts of the city, visually). I read that chatlog thinger from last week and, if I remember correctly, the admissions people said that students live in both of these areas...does anyone living in the city now have any idea if there are affordable options in either of these areas?

User avatar
murphyslaw12
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:51 am

Re: Drexel Law Class of 2012

Postby murphyslaw12 » Wed May 06, 2009 10:41 am

Hausey wrote:Hey everybody, current Drexel 1L here.

If you need anything, feel free to e-mail me: hause.kyle at gmail.com.



BTW - Hey Kyle, this is Rachel that emailed you a few weeks ago!




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest