Columbia Law School 2012!

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
Skadden Stairs
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:47 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Skadden Stairs » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:44 pm

pmwade wrote:hey after yall put in your deposit online at CLS (if you did it online), was there a confirmation email? or a welcome email or something? i did mine like three hours ago and im kinda paranoid it didnt go through...

there is no follow-up email

Applicant7643
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:42 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Applicant7643 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:50 pm

lex talionis wrote:
pmwade wrote:hey after yall put in your deposit online at CLS (if you did it online), was there a confirmation email? or a welcome email or something? i did mine like three hours ago and im kinda paranoid it didnt go through...

there is no follow-up email


You'll get your Columbia e-mail address in a couple of weeks though.

pmwade
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:08 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby pmwade » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:51 pm

awesome i cant wait, thanks

User avatar
MeTalkPrettyOneDay
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:33 pm

pmwade wrote:hey after yall put in your deposit online at CLS (if you did it online), was there a confirmation email? or a welcome email or something? i did mine like three hours ago and im kinda paranoid it didnt go through...

If you used a debit card and use online banking, you could sign into your bank account to check and make sure the charge went through. Or, if you used a credit card and you're REALLY worried, you could call Amex/Mastercard/Visa/whoever to make sure the charge went through. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

Edit: Oh, and congrats and welcome to CLS '12!

vegcat
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:15 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby vegcat » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:57 pm

pmwade wrote:awesome i cant wait, thanks


You can actually set up your email account even before you get the email, I did and it worked fine. Go here: http://www.columbia.edu/acis/tools/ and activate a new UNI, search for your name, then log in with your UNI and create a password.

And congrats on your decision!

User avatar
express01
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:17 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby express01 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:22 pm

hey any international students going to Columbia Law school?

Which bank are you guys using to get your private loan?

huckabees
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:38 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby huckabees » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:36 pm

express01 wrote:hey any international students going to Columbia Law school?

Which bank are you guys using to get your private loan?


Sophie is going to NYU, but she is from the UK, I think.

Maybe you can ask her?

facker09
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby facker09 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:47 pm

About banks for international: I use Bank of America. They are AWESOME.

QUESTION: When's the ACTUAL date of Orientation for those who sent in their deposit? It says 17th...I just need to put in the "start date" on UAH app.

WOOT WOOT. I am going to CLS.

06132010
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:02 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby 06132010 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:01 pm

facker09 wrote:About banks for international: I use Bank of America. They are AWESOME.

QUESTION: When's the ACTUAL date of Orientation for those who sent in their deposit? It says 17th...I just need to put in the "start date" on UAH app.

WOOT WOOT. I am going to CLS.


Haha, congrats on your decision :).

It starts on the 17th but I requested to move in the first week in August so I could enjoy my studio for a few weeks before school started.

User avatar
DavidMorales
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:29 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby DavidMorales » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:31 pm

Does anyone know if I can pay my "deposit" at the time I accept over the internet with cc or debit card, or do i need to send in a check via mail as w

User avatar
frank_the_tank
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:07 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby frank_the_tank » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:43 pm

DavidMorales wrote:Does anyone know if I can pay my "deposit" at the time I accept over the internet with cc or debit card, or do i need to send in a check via mail as w


They accept credit cards.

huckabees
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:38 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby huckabees » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:56 pm

frank_the_tank wrote:
DavidMorales wrote:Does anyone know if I can pay my "deposit" at the time I accept over the internet with cc or debit card, or do i need to send in a check via mail as w


They accept credit cards.


Woohoo!

Does that mean I can make a last minute decision if need be?

Also, and I apologize if this has been asked already, but the only thing we need to do to accept our financial aid packages (for those with no-name scholarships) is to deposit by the end of April, correct?

As in, we don't need to write in any additional confirmation or turn in an additional deposit beforehand?

Thanks!

User avatar
MeTalkPrettyOneDay
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby MeTalkPrettyOneDay » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:33 am

huckabees wrote:Also, and I apologize if this has been asked already, but the only thing we need to do to accept our financial aid packages (for those with no-name scholarships) is to deposit by the end of April, correct?

I believe that is correct.

huckabees wrote:Does that mean I can make a last minute decision if need be?

Yes, all you need to do is submit your deposit online. If you want CLS housing, your housing form is also due May 1st, but you can submit that online too. So yes, you could theoretically delay your decision until May 1st.

See the accepted student binder for info on how to submit both the deposit and housing form online.

User avatar
DavidMorales
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:29 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby DavidMorales » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:27 am

Does anyone know if I could live in the general graduate student housing at columbia? I know that most people probably wouldn't want to but I have a bro doing a History PhD and am hoping to work something out.

User avatar
HugerThanSoup
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:32 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby HugerThanSoup » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:34 am

DavidMorales wrote:Does anyone know if I could live in the general graduate student housing at columbia? I know that most people probably wouldn't want to but I have a bro doing a History PhD and am hoping to work something out.


Yes, you definitely can. Just make sure that on your housing app, you specify WHO you want to live with (your friend), and perhaps give the housing office a call. They are pretty good about getting people exactly what they want.

cescalynne
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:30 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby cescalynne » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:50 am

Anyone NOT planning on living in Columbia housing or even....on the west side? I live on the east side now and I think Columbia housing is a ripoff. My tour guide on Monday said something like 90% of students live on campus...any of you in that rogue 10% with me?

User avatar
jmat
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:30 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby jmat » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:02 am

cescalynne wrote:Anyone NOT planning on living in Columbia housing or even....on the west side? I live on the east side now and I think Columbia housing is a ripoff. My tour guide on Monday said something like 90% of students live on campus...any of you in that rogue 10% with me?


Yep, I have an apartment on the east side now I don't plan on leaving. Getting to C from the east side is not super easy but the M04, which runs along Madison until the 110s and then shoots over to Columbia's doorstep, is not terrible. There are apartments of good value near Columbia if you are not wedded to living right on campus, but I like my apartment and hating moving so the decision was easy.

daisyduck
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:04 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby daisyduck » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:03 am

Has anyone received their housing assignment yet?
I'm leaving the country for the summer and I'd really like to know when I can move in (which preferred period they granted me)/check out the apartment before I'm thousands of miles away..

facker09
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby facker09 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:30 am

From the tour guide I met:

The housing assignments are all done lottery style (of course taking your pref. into account), and they don't start that until May 1st. So in a sense, people who are submitting their app at May 1st is not getting "worse" housing assignments because other spots are "filled."

I don't know how much of this randomizing mess is true (the housing confirmation email says that my app will be reviewed in two days time...whatever that means), but I doubt any assignments will be made until well after May 1st?

User avatar
Estella
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:19 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby Estella » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:16 pm

I sent in my deposit on Tuesday, so I'm now officially going to CLS! I already can't wait until August.

And about housing assignments... based on last year's thread, it looks like they don't start sending them out until June. :(

sbalive
Posts: 399
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:05 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby sbalive » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:18 pm

jmat wrote:
cescalynne wrote:Anyone NOT planning on living in Columbia housing or even....on the west side? I live on the east side now and I think Columbia housing is a ripoff. My tour guide on Monday said something like 90% of students live on campus...any of you in that rogue 10% with me?


Yep, I have an apartment on the east side now I don't plan on leaving. Getting to C from the east side is not super easy but the M04, which runs along Madison until the 110s and then shoots over to Columbia's doorstep, is not terrible. There are apartments of good value near Columbia if you are not wedded to living right on campus, but I like my apartment and hating moving so the decision was easy.


Is the area at the bottom of Morningside Heights really that awful? If so, how many blocks from the park before it gets bad? Is it unfeasible to climb all those steps to get to CLS?

I'm asking because it looks like if I land an unfurnished $800-ish share from Columbia, I'd be pretty much market or better. (Unless prices plummet in the next month or two.) But, it looks like I might get into the $600s if I'm down there.

User avatar
jmat
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:30 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby jmat » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:44 pm

sbalive wrote:
Is the area at the bottom of Morningside Heights really that awful? If so, how many blocks from the park before it gets bad? Is it unfeasible to climb all those steps to get to CLS?

I'm asking because it looks like if I land an unfurnished $800-ish share from Columbia, I'd be pretty much market or better. (Unless prices plummet in the next month or two.) But, it looks like I might get into the $600s if I'm down there.


Seriously, I wouldn't worry about neighborhood, there's no really bad neighborhoods in most of the city, but especially in that area. Stay out of Morningside Park at night, I repeat stay out of Morningside Park at night. But as for anything else, find the nicest apartment you can find. You'll thank yourself when you save money and have a little extra space to study in so you don't need to cloister yourself in the library. To anyone striking out on their own I highly recommend looking at newly built "luxury" buildings. They probably won't be cheaper than on campus housing, but because of the market downturn you may be able to get a place with dishwasher, gym, washer/dryer for around the same price, I was definitely able to. If anyone has any questions about NY renting or other NYish things feel free to PM me.

DankoM
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:08 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby DankoM » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:20 pm

I just deposited at CLS yesterday.

Looking forward to the fall!
Last edited by DankoM on Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
express01
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:17 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby express01 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:27 pm

anybody been to the gym? is it easily accessible/well equipped?

If not, i am thinking about buying an Air Dyne or a Concept Rower for my room.

huckabees
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:38 pm

Re: Columbia Law School 2012!

Postby huckabees » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:37 pm

express01 wrote:anybody been to the gym? is it easily accessible/well equipped?

If not, i am thinking about buying an Air Dyne or a Concept Rower for my room.


Everyone I know there says the gym is the most "unfortunate" part about the law school, aside from maybe the library.

I think I am going to have exercise equipment in my room also.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest