Berkeley Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
bilbobaggins

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Postby bilbobaggins » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:39 pm

I emailed my contact and I think it's just a general question/answer thing.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:50 am

bilbobaggins wrote:I emailed my contact and I think it's just a general question/answer thing.

It definitely is. My contact won't be there during ASD, so that answers the question.

crazyinalabama

Postby crazyinalabama » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:56 am

Hmmm this might be awkward since I emailed my person and said something to the extent of "I got a vague email saying you are 'going to available to me.' I requested a host - are you my host? Perhaps you could tell me the extent of your availability...I'm confused"

Definitely going to think I'm a creeper...

you rebel scum

Postby you rebel scum » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:17 pm

hey 0Ls,

pretty sure the email you got was part of a mentorship thing where 1Ls are put in touch with admitted students to answer their questions, etc. i hope you guys will make use of this program, as everyone who's participating is doing so because they signed up for it hoping to be a useful resource for anyone who is trying to make a decision (or who have their minds made up but have questions nonetheless!).

an email from dean tom i received .45 seconds ago confirms that they are still working on matching hosts and visitors.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:27 pm

crazyinalabama wrote:Hmmm this might be awkward since I emailed my person and said something to the extent of "I got a vague email saying you are 'going to available to me.' I requested a host - are you my host? Perhaps you could tell me the extent of your availability...I'm confused"

Definitely going to think I'm a creeper...

I LOL'd at work.

trojans09

Postby trojans09 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:58 pm

It's not a host but do shoot your person an email with questions. The response I received was very impressive and covered absolutely anything I could possibly want to know about my inquiry.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:16 pm

you rebel scum wrote:hey 0Ls,

an email from dean tom i received .45 seconds ago confirms that they are still working on matching hosts and visitors.

Rebel, thanks for confirming. Even though you're not my contact, I do have a question for you: Are things so frantic at Boalt that you measure your day in hundredths of seconds!? :shock:

j/k, of course.

TopCat

Postby TopCat » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:17 pm

Didn't get the email. No emails from Berkeley since Dean Tom sent us that .pdf Berkeley Law Resource Guide. Anyone else not get this "general contact" email?

cupofcoffee

Postby cupofcoffee » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:27 pm

I didn't get the email. I'm not sure if it's because I didn't fill out a form or something? I did receive a voicemail from a student to answer any questions but I received an email about that from Dean Tom prior to the call.

TopCat

Postby TopCat » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:33 pm

cupofcoffee wrote:I didn't get the email. I'm not sure if it's because I didn't fill out a form or something? I did receive a voicemail from a student to answer any questions but I received an email about that from Dean Tom prior to the call.

I was wondering about this too. I did get the email you mention about the calls (it said "Calls will be made on March 5, 2009, beginning at 5:00 pm "). Never got any calls. Oh well.

Adrian

Postby Adrian » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:15 pm

Alright after about a month of waiting... I finally got the person whom I am rooming with for ASD, YAY!

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:37 pm

I was poking around the Berkeley web site today and came across an admitted students' web site. (http://www.law.berkeley.edu/admitted.htm)

I can't find any login info in my package. Am I just blind? Or has no one received a username/password?

mijahe

Postby mijahe » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:56 pm

I think it says in the program guide we got the other day they will send out username/password some time in April.

prelaw

Postby prelaw » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:01 pm

Anyone else finding the hotels for the weekend to be outside a student budget?

TopCat

Postby TopCat » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:24 pm

prelaw wrote:Anyone else finding the hotels for the weekend to be outside a student budget?

Try hotwire. I got a decent, boutique hotel (I think 3 diamond rated or something) for $62 a night in San Fran nearby a BART station. Or, if you will be there by yourself and you're ok with a hostel, I think there's one nearby Boalt hall for around $30 a night or something.

prelaw

Postby prelaw » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:27 pm

Does that require not knowing the actual identity of the hotel?

TopCat

Postby TopCat » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:17 am

prelaw wrote:Does that require not knowing the actual identity of the hotel?

Unfortunately, yes. It's kind of a gamble. In retrospect, I am not really *happy* with my hotel but definitely *satisfied*, especially after considering the value. I didn't know much about the areas in the Bay Area but I asked around and gambled on a locality just bordering one of the least desirable ones. But I hear that SF's locales are pretty block to block. And the deal I got seems to be just a couple of blocks short of a really undesirable one. I am OK with the locality, though. Just that I was not looking for a boutique hotel but rather one of the brand name ones (if only because I was not feeling adventurous and I would know what to expect with the name brand ones). In short, I felt kinda shortchanged by Hotwire when they claimed that my hotel will be a familiar name brand place but actually assigned me a small, local boutique with a lot of mixed reviews. However, I still do recommend Hotwire. Their deals are unbeatable, IMO.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:20 am

TopCat wrote:

Unfortunately, yes. It's kind of a gamble. In retrospect, I am not really *happy* with my hotel but definitely *satisfied*, especially after considering the value. I didn't know much about the areas in the Bay Area but I asked around and gambled on a locality just bordering one of the least desirable ones. But I hear that SF's locales are pretty block to block. And the deal I got seems to be just a couple of blocks short of a really undesirable one. I am OK with the locality, though. Just that I was not looking for a boutique hotel but rather one of the brand name ones (if only because I was not feeling adventurous and I would know what to expect with the name brand ones). In short, I felt kinda shortchanged by Hotwire when they claimed that my hotel will be a familiar name brand place but actually assigned me a small, local boutique with a lot of mixed reviews. However, I still do recommend Hotwire. Their deals are unbeatable, IMO.

Let's hope you are too.

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:24 am

mijahe wrote:I think it says in the program guide we got the other day they will send out username/password some time in April.

Thanks. I must have missed that.

I think I stopped reading when I found out that I am eligible for a waiver of out-of-state tuition because I attended & graduated from a HS in California. Got confirmation from the registrar that I qualify even though I've been away 20 years. I am worried a bit about the caveat on the confirmation: "as long as the UC Regents and the State of California continue to waive and fund the nonresident tuition...." [Maybe Arnold will send the school an IOU like they were going to do with tax returns...]

iamlife1001

Postby iamlife1001 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:29 am

prelaw wrote:Anyone else finding the hotels for the weekend to be outside a student budget?

studentuniverse.com found a hostel for 40/night within walking distance.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:58 pm

Just got the email about the admitted student receptions!!

Anyone else going to the NYC one at Simpson?? :D

TopCat

Postby TopCat » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:29 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
TopCat wrote:

Let's hope you are too.

Uh, didn't quite get what you're trying to insinuate :wink: but here's to hoping you're indeed the ace of diamonds and you meant it all in good faith (whatever it is you meant).

cupofcoffee

Postby cupofcoffee » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:44 pm

Just got the email about the admitted student receptions!!

Anyone else going to the NYC one at Simpson?? :D

considering it... depending on what time I get off work

mallen210

Postby mallen210 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:11 pm

Just got that email too. Is anyone going to the one in DC? And is it me or do you have to have a car or walk 30 mins from the nearest metro to get to it? And it looks to be at an alumni's house?????

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:36 pm

mallen210 wrote:Just got that email too. Is anyone going to the one in DC? And is it me or do you have to have a car or walk 30 mins from the nearest metro to get to it? And it looks to be at an alumni's house?????

I'm seriously considering it. I hate making the 6 hr round trip, though (almost 7 to that part of NW). Wish it weren't mid week.

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”