UVA Class of 2012

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
User avatar
iceberger
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:24 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby iceberger » Tue May 05, 2009 11:03 pm

While we're talking about loans..... when should I apply for a budget increase for a laptop? Should I wait to accept loans until I see the amount increase?

User avatar
napolnic
Posts: 375
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:17 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby napolnic » Tue May 05, 2009 11:06 pm

Alright, new computer/log in question: how does the personal certificate work? I downloaded the ITC network setup tool and ran it, but I still can't log in by just pressing the button on the netbadge screen. I get a 'page doesn't exist' page. Anyone successful in getting certificates to work?

User avatar
a.williams
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:11 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby a.williams » Tue May 05, 2009 11:14 pm

iceberger wrote:While we're talking about loans..... when should I apply for a budget increase for a laptop? Should I wait to accept loans until I see the amount increase?


Just e-mailed financial aid about this today and this is what I got:

Thank you for your inquiry. In addition to the written request for a budget increase for the computer purchase, you will need to submit either a copy of your receipt, or the ad with the price quote of the system you plan to purchase. Once we receive the written request and supporting cost documentation, we will be able to consider your computer request. It would be your choice whether you wanted to accept and current package and then complete the new acceptance when our revised award is communicated, or wait until your financial aid package is completely finalized with the inclusion of the computer before you accept your aid. If you elect to accept now, when we communicate your revised award, you may have to notify our office of the acceptance as opposed to accepting online. The SIS system is brand new and we are still in a learning process as to what the system will allow. The adjustment will be made regardless of whether you notify our office or are able to complete the process online. Our suggested date for you to complete the initial acceptance process is by mid-June. I hope this information is helpful. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have other questions.


It's a little confusing but the gist of it is that it doesn't really matter

User avatar
iceberger
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:24 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby iceberger » Tue May 05, 2009 11:16 pm

a.williams wrote:
iceberger wrote:While we're talking about loans..... when should I apply for a budget increase for a laptop? Should I wait to accept loans until I see the amount increase?


Just e-mailed financial aid about this today and this is what I got:

Thank you for your inquiry. In addition to the written request for a budget increase for the computer purchase, you will need to submit either a copy of your receipt, or the ad with the price quote of the system you plan to purchase. Once we receive the written request and supporting cost documentation, we will be able to consider your computer request. It would be your choice whether you wanted to accept and current package and then complete the new acceptance when our revised award is communicated, or wait until your financial aid package is completely finalized with the inclusion of the computer before you accept your aid. If you elect to accept now, when we communicate your revised award, you may have to notify our office of the acceptance as opposed to accepting online. The SIS system is brand new and we are still in a learning process as to what the system will allow. The adjustment will be made regardless of whether you notify our office or are able to complete the process online. Our suggested date for you to complete the initial acceptance process is by mid-June. I hope this information is helpful. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have other questions.


It's a little confusing but the gist of it is that it doesn't really matter


awesome, thanks. it sounds like no matter what they'll communicate it to our lender or something

User avatar
monochrome
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:04 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby monochrome » Wed May 06, 2009 12:37 am

napolnic wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
JSUVA2012 wrote:I might be your neighbor on the other side. I got an unfurnished 1BR in the same building, deposit already paid.


Wow. That's 5 of us in Arlington Court Condos.

6 if I land this place.


7 if you haven't counted me (I don't remember which boards I've told)[/quote]

yay arlington court condos! by which i mean, hooray that my tendency to wake up approximately twenty minutes before my classes start won't be as much of a disaster as it was in undergrad!

User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby CE2JD » Wed May 06, 2009 2:27 am

limegreen wrote:Does anyone else get a broken link when they try to do the loan counseling or whatever it is called? I tried yesterday and again today and it takes me to some random page that tells me the link does not exist.

Also, what happens after you apply with your lender and accept the loans? I did it over the weekend, how long should I expect until I hear from someone? What happens next?


Yes, I get the broken link. But after you get the "Page not found" message on the mappingyourfuture.org website, you can click on the green "Graduate Student" tab and the click on the "Complete Online Student Loan Counseling (entrance or exit interview)" link. Then click on "Stafford entrance" and/or "GradPlus entrance" to do your entrance interviews.

User avatar
RVP11
Posts: 2774
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby RVP11 » Wed May 06, 2009 3:17 am

a.williams wrote:I leave for one week because of finals and my thesis (which I defended successfully this morning) and I missed the video game debate. Any FIFA fans?


<----FIFA fan

And I just got Pro Evolution 2009 today.

User avatar
limegreen
Posts: 564
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:36 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby limegreen » Wed May 06, 2009 8:51 am

CE2JD wrote:
limegreen wrote:Does anyone else get a broken link when they try to do the loan counseling or whatever it is called? I tried yesterday and again today and it takes me to some random page that tells me the link does not exist.

Also, what happens after you apply with your lender and accept the loans? I did it over the weekend, how long should I expect until I hear from someone? What happens next?


Yes, I get the broken link. But after you get the "Page not found" message on the mappingyourfuture.org website, you can click on the green "Graduate Student" tab and the click on the "Complete Online Student Loan Counseling (entrance or exit interview)" link. Then click on "Stafford entrance" and/or "GradPlus entrance" to do your entrance interviews.


Thanks, I guess I am too stupid to even think about finding it myself! Anyone know what happens next or are we all still waiting?

User avatar
bulldog4574
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:54 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby bulldog4574 » Wed May 06, 2009 10:32 am

does anyone know why when you go to accept your gradplus loan it won't let you change the amount like with the stafford loans?

EDIT: just called, they said they're having technical issues :(

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby YCrevolution » Wed May 06, 2009 11:01 am

..

User avatar
hotburrito
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby hotburrito » Wed May 06, 2009 11:35 am

YCrevolution wrote:Email I got this morning:

Dear Admitted Student:

It appears that our database system suffered a major failure yesterday and resent the “Applying for Financial Aid” email to all offered students at the University of Virginia School of Law. Thank you to those of you who contacted the Financial Aid Office to inform of us the issue. Please accept our apologies and know that we are working to ensure that the issue is resolved soon.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Cynthia Burns
Director of Financial Aid
University of Virginia School of Law


they still have their shit together better than columbia. do you think "database system" failures are for real, or do you think somebody in the office made a boo boo? i don't know enough about computer systems to guess.

jdn012
Posts: 148
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:04 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby jdn012 » Wed May 06, 2009 11:57 am

hotburrito wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:Email I got this morning:

Dear Admitted Student:

It appears that our database system suffered a major failure yesterday and resent the “Applying for Financial Aid” email to all offered students at the University of Virginia School of Law. Thank you to those of you who contacted the Financial Aid Office to inform of us the issue. Please accept our apologies and know that we are working to ensure that the issue is resolved soon.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Cynthia Burns
Director of Financial Aid
University of Virginia School of Law


they still have their shit together better than columbia. do you think "database system" failures are for real, or do you think somebody in the office made a boo boo? i don't know enough about computer systems to guess.


+1, at least this one could be construed as a reminder email to accept your financial aid, so no one really panicked too much.

User avatar
bulldog4574
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:54 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby bulldog4574 » Wed May 06, 2009 12:10 pm

I haven't keeping up with thread enough in the past week, but is the consensus that most people are going with the laptop bundle? I just bought a new mac for $1250 and i already had a copy of microsoft office so it didnt seem like the extra 600 bucks was worth it for the free loaners...

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby Cavalier » Wed May 06, 2009 12:17 pm

Schools ought to require that all emails sent to the entire applicant pool, or the entire incoming class, first be approved by the dean of admissions. The financial aid email isn't a big deal, but considering how many times in the past few years schools have either admitted everyone, or sent everyone a totally confusing email (like Columbia's from last week), it should be harder for these emails to get sent out.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8446
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby thesealocust » Wed May 06, 2009 12:20 pm

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8446
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby thesealocust » Wed May 06, 2009 12:21 pm

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bulldog4574
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:54 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby bulldog4574 » Wed May 06, 2009 12:27 pm

thesealocust wrote:
bulldog4574 wrote:I haven't keeping up with thread enough in the past week, but is the consensus that most people are going with the laptop bundle? I just bought a new mac for $1250 and i already had a copy of microsoft office so it didnt seem like the extra 600 bucks was worth it for the free loaners...


I'd say there's not a consensus. Some pro and some con arguments... what it boils down to is if you want or need a pile of warranty/service plan things the bundles might be a good deal, but otherwise if you're willing to rough it you can spend (much) less to get more on your own.

Also, the macbook is a better bundle than the dell.

Personally I'll be staying away from the law school bundles... If I get a new laptop fro LS, I'm looking at shelling out ~$750 for a Lenovo T400 instead. Or maybe a netbook, just for notes?


good to hear, i was really tempted to just get a netbook but my parents thought i deserved better, you know, getting into UVA and all... :)

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby YCrevolution » Wed May 06, 2009 12:32 pm

..

User avatar
iceberger
Posts: 289
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:24 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby iceberger » Wed May 06, 2009 12:34 pm

YCrevolution wrote:Email I got this morning:

Dear Admitted Student:

It appears that our database system suffered a major failure yesterday and resent the “Applying for Financial Aid” email to all offered students at the University of Virginia School of Law. Thank you to those of you who contacted the Financial Aid Office to inform of us the issue. Please accept our apologies and know that we are working to ensure that the issue is resolved soon.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Cynthia Burns
Director of Financial Aid
University of Virginia School of Law



The email freaked me out a bit, "database system suffered a major failure" made me rush and check that all my finaid stuff was still up and correct, haha.

User avatar
napolnic
Posts: 375
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:17 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby napolnic » Wed May 06, 2009 12:39 pm

bulldog4574 wrote:I haven't keeping up with thread enough in the past week, but is the consensus that most people are going with the laptop bundle? I just bought a new mac for $1250 and i already had a copy of microsoft office so it didnt seem like the extra 600 bucks was worth it for the free loaners...


I'm still sticking with my pc and getting a netbook. Although I've moved from an HP to a Samsung. We'll have to see if this decision changes or I'll suddenly go for an impulse buy...

User avatar
hotburrito
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:40 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby hotburrito » Wed May 06, 2009 12:41 pm

napolnic wrote:
bulldog4574 wrote:I haven't keeping up with thread enough in the past week, but is the consensus that most people are going with the laptop bundle? I just bought a new mac for $1250 and i already had a copy of microsoft office so it didnt seem like the extra 600 bucks was worth it for the free loaners...


I'm still sticking with my pc and getting a netbook. Although I've moved from an HP to a Samsung. We'll have to see if this decision changes or I'll suddenly go for an impulse buy...


i'm definitely considering the netbook option. laptops are heavy.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8446
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby thesealocust » Wed May 06, 2009 12:57 pm

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby YCrevolution » Wed May 06, 2009 12:59 pm

..

User avatar
napolnic
Posts: 375
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:17 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby napolnic » Wed May 06, 2009 12:59 pm

thesealocust wrote:I'm definitely of the opinion that one cannot have too many computers/computer like devices.

I'm going to have to scope out netbooks... anybody have any thoughts about whether they'd cut it for taking exams?


I'm hedging on that one. I still have a full laptop that's about five years old that I'll at least have in a closet at law school in case I find that either the keyboard or screen is too small, or some unforeseen disaster strikes my new baby.

User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Postby CE2JD » Wed May 06, 2009 1:35 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
Cavalier wrote:Schools ought to require that all emails sent to the entire applicant pool, or the entire incoming class, first be approved by the dean of admissions. The financial aid email isn't a big deal, but considering how many times in the past few years schools have either admitted everyone, or sent everyone a totally confusing email (like Columbia's from last week), it should be harder for these emails to get sent out.


Perils of the modern age... I bet you could count one one hand (one finger?) the numbers of schools that accidentally printed, enveloped, stamped, and sent thousands of letters to the wrong group of applicants :P

Kellogg School of Management

Although UC-San Diego (http://www.latimes.com/news/la-me-ucsd- ... 2257.story) managed to send out 28,000 acceptance emails to everyone they rejected.


Yeah UCSD takes the cake for worst university mass communication error of all time.




Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest