UVA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
limegreen

Silver

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Post by limegreen » Wed May 27, 2009 7:59 pm

vanwinkle wrote:I just discovered that AT&T has no 3G service in the entire Charlottesville area. The closest 3G service on their map is in Richmond. That kind of defeats the purpose of having a 3G iPhone and its $30/mo data plan, to me... :?
There's no 3G but they have Edge, which isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. I have an original iPhone with Edge while my BF has a 3G and his is marginally faster but not significantly. I hardly ever use the data when I'm not on wifi other than to use a weather app or a quick search, anyway.

Wahoowah

New

Post by Wahoowah » Wed May 27, 2009 11:03 pm

Long time listener, first time caller... The news that Charlottesville doesn't have a 3g network is somewhere between tragic and traumatizing. That said, I'm finally back home in Washington DC and I feel like a decent number of people on this board are probably also in the DMV this summer. Anyone else have any interest in trying to schedule a happy hour -> nationals game for the next homestand?

iceberger

Bronze

Post by iceberger » Thu May 28, 2009 9:04 am

So an apple email I got just describes the rebate for a free iPod touch this fall for students who buy a mac. Cavalier Computers is listed as an "authorized retailer" of apple products, so am I correct in assuming if I get the law school mac bundle I qualify for the iPod touch as well? Or has anyone else read this differently?

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/campai ... 7148&sr=em

mijahe

New

Post by mijahe » Thu May 28, 2009 9:19 am

For those using Discover Loans, do you know if the option to pay off interest during the school year is an option if you choose it, or does it lock you into to doing that?

geoffree

Bronze

Post by geoffree » Thu May 28, 2009 11:45 am

iceberger wrote:So an apple email I got just describes the rebate for a free iPod touch this fall for students who buy a mac. Cavalier Computers is listed as an "authorized retailer" of apple products, so am I correct in assuming if I get the law school mac bundle I qualify for the iPod touch as well? Or has anyone else read this differently?

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/campai ... 7148&sr=em

Nice catch. It looks legit to me.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

geoffree

Bronze

Post by geoffree » Thu May 28, 2009 11:51 am

Wahoowah wrote:Long time listener, first time caller... The news that Charlottesville doesn't have a 3g network is somewhere between tragic and traumatizing. That said, I'm finally back home in Washington DC and I feel like a decent number of people on this board are probably also in the DMV this summer. Anyone else have any interest in trying to schedule a happy hour -> nationals game for the next homestand?
Hi and welcome to the TLS funtime. I would be up for a DC meet-up, but I'll be going on the road soon.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu May 28, 2009 12:43 pm

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

a.williams

Bronze

Post by a.williams » Thu May 28, 2009 12:47 pm

maybe its just me because I just graduated and I'm unemployed, but I want to be in Charlottesville already. summer is kind of boring when you have absolutely nothing to do and no money. what are people up to this summer?

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu May 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Edit: n/m
Last edited by thesealocust on Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Thu May 28, 2009 1:10 pm

thesealocust wrote:
a.williams wrote:maybe its just me because I just graduated and I'm unemployed, but I want to be in Charlottesville already. summer is kind of boring when you have absolutely nothing to do and no money. what are people up to this summer?
I'm in a similar boat. Maybe I'll be doing my girlfriends dishes and laundry while she actually enjoys gainful employment? :lol: I'm sure that I'll enjoy 2.5 more months of freedom and sloth, but I already feel anxious to head to UVA!
I'd love to be unemployed! I have a job and graduated a year ago and I want to be in Charlottesville already, too. I'm sick of being out of school and being around old people all the time. But I need the money...

iamjikem

New

Post by iamjikem » Thu May 28, 2009 2:25 pm

thesealocust wrote:
iamjikem wrote:How about the Office bundle that the Dell package comes with? I don't even know what half of those programs are! (Word, Excel, and Powerpoint are about all I've ever used, I think.) I'm wondering... are we going to need them? Because everytime I find a decent deal outside of UVA bundles, I find I'm adding ~$650 to it for the mega Office offered, and it brings it close or equal to the $1700 for the Dell bundle.
Do NOT spend any money on office programs or on operating system upgrades. You can buy a good version of Vista and Microsoft Office for $10 each from the campus store, and the licenses are permenant!

The only program you are likely to need from the office suite is Word. Excel is handy for a lot of things, as is powerpoint. OneNote is great for LS from what I've heard.
I remember reading earlier in this thread that Office was $10 at UVA for students, but I was nervous to assume that it was true just because I read it on here. I was unable to verify this on Cavalier Computers' website. Has anybody been able to verify this?

a.williams

Bronze

Post by a.williams » Thu May 28, 2009 2:45 pm

iamjikem wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
iamjikem wrote:How about the Office bundle that the Dell package comes with? I don't even know what half of those programs are! (Word, Excel, and Powerpoint are about all I've ever used, I think.) I'm wondering... are we going to need them? Because everytime I find a decent deal outside of UVA bundles, I find I'm adding ~$650 to it for the mega Office offered, and it brings it close or equal to the $1700 for the Dell bundle.
Do NOT spend any money on office programs or on operating system upgrades. You can buy a good version of Vista and Microsoft Office for $10 each from the campus store, and the licenses are permenant!

The only program you are likely to need from the office suite is Word. Excel is handy for a lot of things, as is powerpoint. OneNote is great for LS from what I've heard.
I remember reading earlier in this thread that Office was $10 at UVA for students, but I was nervous to assume that it was true just because I read it on here. I was unable to verify this on Cavalier Computers' website. Has anybody been able to verify this?
The website says that it's full price. It may be that if you buy it there it's cheaper, but the web says otherwise.

Links below:

For Mac: http://www.cavaliercomputers.com/shop_p ... t_list.asp

For PC: http://www.cavaliercomputers.com/shop_p ... t_list.asp

ScarletHammer88

New

Post by ScarletHammer88 » Thu May 28, 2009 4:29 pm

Hey,

I know this conversation is probably over done, but how many of you are living in Ivy Gardens. I was reading reviews that said the place was garbage, but it seems as though everyone is living there. Any advice on where else is good to live?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Thu May 28, 2009 4:49 pm

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Thu May 28, 2009 4:50 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:Random question: Has anyone else here built their own desktop computer? I don't mean welding the case together or putting transistors on your motherboard, but buying/obtaining all of the separate components (motherboard, processor, PSU, etc.) and assembling a computer out of it.

[If you haven't, you're missing out on the fun. :D Plus, for higher-end machines, it's generally a bit cheaper to build it yourself.]
Typing on mine right now! I had buily one in middle school, then practiced for my current one by taking apart and putting back together a really old dell we had lying around. I finished this PC in early Jaunary for waaaaaaaay less $$$ than the same specs would have cost from dell/hp/etc. I took a chance on a (cheaper) MoBo with mixed reviews and took quite a while to get my mobo, bios settings, and my wireless card to cooperate, but I knew I was going to have to be my own tech support and I learned a lot in the process. I'm addicted to trolling NewEgg for parts, and I am anxiously awaiting declines in SSD pirces :D
I kind of want a SSD, but my current hard drive seems to be working fine. I am excited that I did find a 24" widescreen monitor to replace my 19" monitor that died, and the new one has an HDMI hookup so I can plug my PS3 into it. It's also cheaper than the 19" one was. I think if I replace anything, it'd probably be the video card, since the price for 1gb cards isn't too unreasonable now (and would beat my current 256mb card in most/all aspects).

Summer plans: I'm moving to Charlottesvillle in mid-June, and then anticipate a summer working on my law school prediction model and (re)discovering the fun of old games via an SNES emulator.
law school prediction model?

geoffree

Bronze

Post by geoffree » Thu May 28, 2009 5:02 pm

CE2JD wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:Random question: Has anyone else here built their own desktop computer? I don't mean welding the case together or putting transistors on your motherboard, but buying/obtaining all of the separate components (motherboard, processor, PSU, etc.) and assembling a computer out of it.

[If you haven't, you're missing out on the fun. :D Plus, for higher-end machines, it's generally a bit cheaper to build it yourself.]
Typing on mine right now! I had buily one in middle school, then practiced for my current one by taking apart and putting back together a really old dell we had lying around. I finished this PC in early Jaunary for waaaaaaaay less $$$ than the same specs would have cost from dell/hp/etc. I took a chance on a (cheaper) MoBo with mixed reviews and took quite a while to get my mobo, bios settings, and my wireless card to cooperate, but I knew I was going to have to be my own tech support and I learned a lot in the process. I'm addicted to trolling NewEgg for parts, and I am anxiously awaiting declines in SSD pirces :D
I kind of want a SSD, but my current hard drive seems to be working fine. I am excited that I did find a 24" widescreen monitor to replace my 19" monitor that died, and the new one has an HDMI hookup so I can plug my PS3 into it. It's also cheaper than the 19" one was. I think if I replace anything, it'd probably be the video card, since the price for 1gb cards isn't too unreasonable now (and would beat my current 256mb card in most/all aspects).

Summer plans: I'm moving to Charlottesvillle in mid-June, and then anticipate a summer working on my law school prediction model and (re)discovering the fun of old games via an SNES emulator.
law school prediction model?
I was just about to ask too. LOL

jdn012

Bronze

Post by jdn012 » Thu May 28, 2009 5:21 pm

ScarletHammer88 wrote:Hey,

I know this conversation is probably over done, but how many of you are living in Ivy Gardens. I was reading reviews that said the place was garbage, but it seems as though everyone is living there. Any advice on where else is good to live?
I talked to a recent alum and he said that he didn't have any major problems with Ivy.

As far as other places to live, they exist, but I think most of the places close to the law school are already full. Other complexes that people have been mentioning are the Woodlands and Jefferson Ridge, which are much nicer, but are also further away (approx. a 10 minute drive or so). The Woodlands does not have 1 BR though so that may be something to consider. You could also check the UVA Law forum or the facebook group for suggestions and/or look for roommates.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Jim_Stansel

Bronze

Post by Jim_Stansel » Thu May 28, 2009 5:26 pm

ScarletHammer88 wrote:Hey,

I'm living there. Come jump in the garbage heap.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Thu May 28, 2009 5:45 pm

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Thu May 28, 2009 5:47 pm

a.williams wrote:
iamjikem wrote:
thesealocust wrote:

The website says that it's full price. It may be that if you buy it there it's cheaper, but the web says otherwise.

Links below:

For Mac: http://www.cavaliercomputers.com/shop_p ... t_list.asp

For PC: http://www.cavaliercomputers.com/shop_p ... t_list.asp

Its only $10 - UVA has a campus license... they also have MS Vista (if you're of that persuasion) for $10... here's the link from UVA's Information Technology & Communication dept:

http://itc.virginia.edu/licenses/studentuse.html

a.williams

Bronze

Post by a.williams » Thu May 28, 2009 5:56 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
Its only $10 - UVA has a campus license... they also have MS Vista (if you're of that persuasion) for $10... here's the link from UVA's Information Technology & Communication dept:

http://itc.virginia.edu/licenses/studentuse.html
Thanks for the link. I figured there was something else out there.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

iamjikem

New

Post by iamjikem » Thu May 28, 2009 6:05 pm

Awesome! I'll feel much more comfortable getting a deal outside of the bundles even if it doesn't include Microsoft Office. Thanks!

green

Bronze

Post by green » Thu May 28, 2009 6:07 pm

a.williams wrote:maybe its just me because I just graduated and I'm unemployed, but I want to be in Charlottesville already. summer is kind of boring when you have absolutely nothing to do and no money. what are people up to this summer?
I'm driving cross country with some of my friends.

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Thu May 28, 2009 6:18 pm

green wrote:
I'm moving to Cville on Monday! I am so excited about going up there, and really glad I'm getting there a few months early to get the lay of the land. I have a few retail interviews lined up at the mall and I'll probably work there part time and do a little traveling when I have time.

geoffree

Bronze

Post by geoffree » Thu May 28, 2009 7:25 pm

green wrote:
Sweet! Where are you going?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”