UVA Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
lsatbobby

Bronze

Re: UVA Class of 2012

Post by lsatbobby » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:31 pm

Gladiator, I've got another ? related to having enough time to do stuff:

Do most people find time to go to the gym? And does the law school share their gym with the undergrads?

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:38 pm

napolnic wrote:
limegreen wrote:
crazyinalabama wrote:
gladiator wrote:From what I recall, the parking lottery isn't until the beginning of the year. I think there was a grace period of about a month where you could park without a pass.
Thanks!
Anyone know what the policy is on getting a good spot by the school for 1Ls? I saw something about being able to get one if you have a toddler or some other kind of need but I was just wondering what qualifies or who you would talk to about something like that anyway.
Planning on having a kid for a better spot?
I guess I'd need to find out just how good the spot was first!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:50 pm

lsatbobby wrote:Do most people find time to go to the gym? And does the law school share their gym with the undergrads?
There's a gym called the North Grounds Rec Center that's right next to the business and law schools: http://www.virginia.edu/ims/facilities/ngrc.php

Reading about it, it sounds like undergrads are also allowed to use it, but the impression I get is that a lot of undergrads will end up using Memorial or Slaughter instead because those facilities are closer to them.

lsatbobby

Bronze

Post by lsatbobby » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:50 pm

thanks. thats perfect.

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:57 pm

limegreen wrote:
napolnic wrote:
limegreen wrote: Anyone know what the policy is on getting a good spot by the school for 1Ls? I saw something about being able to get one if you have a toddler or some other kind of need but I was just wondering what qualifies or who you would talk to about something like that anyway.
I'd hate to step on any toes, but you might want to check with the SO about that one.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:58 pm

lsatbobby wrote:Gladiator, I've got another ? related to having enough time to do stuff:

Do most people find time to go to the gym? And does the law school share their gym with the undergrads?
You and me Bobby (Bobette?), we'll dissuade gunners by flexing.

lsatbobby

Bronze

Post by lsatbobby » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:04 pm

napolnic wrote:
lsatbobby wrote:Gladiator, I've got another ? related to having enough time to do stuff:

Good idea...Bobetta is a beast. I hope your muscles can compare to the ones I've acquired through step aerobics.

geoffree

Bronze

Post by geoffree » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:04 pm

limegreen wrote:
napolnic wrote:
limegreen wrote:
Anyone know what the policy is on getting a good spot by the school for 1Ls? I saw something about being able to get one if you have a toddler or some other kind of need but I was just wondering what qualifies or who you would talk to about something like that anyway.
Copeley is the closest family housing, I believe. It's pretty darn close but I think a lot of Jeffersonian apts are just as close.
http://www.virginia.edu/housing/options ... ype=family

lsatbobby

Bronze

Post by lsatbobby » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:05 pm

napolnic wrote:

And it appears from your profile that you're a dude...Ive got genders all mixed up

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:09 pm

lsatbobby wrote:
napolnic wrote:

Good idea...Bobetta is a beast. I hope your muscles can compare to the ones I've acquired through step aerobics.
Yeah, I need more sleep. At first I thought that said "step anabolics"...

lsatbobby

Bronze

Post by lsatbobby » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:18 pm

napolnic wrote:
lsatbobby wrote:
napolnic wrote:

Yeah, I need more sleep. At first I thought that said "step anabolics"...
lol

gladiator

Silver

Post by gladiator » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:03 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
lsatbobby wrote:Do most people find time to go to the gym? And does the law school share their gym with the undergrads?
There's a gym called the North Grounds Rec Center that's right next to the business and law schools: http://www.virginia.edu/ims/facilities/ngrc.php

Reading about it, it sounds like undergrads are also allowed to use it, but the impression I get is that a lot of undergrads will end up using Memorial or Slaughter instead because those facilities are closer to them.
Pretty much correct but most undergrads use AFC which is the biggest and nicest gym. There's nothing stopping undergrads from using the North Grounds gym but few of them live close to it. People who want to go to the gym have the time to do so as far as I know; I get my physical activity from softball and other sports not the gym so I technically can't speak from personal experience on the topic.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:54 am

For the Arlington Court folks, do any of you know what the laundry situation is like? Is there like a laundry room in the building, and if not where is the nearest laundromat?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

napolnic

Bronze

Post by napolnic » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:40 am

vanwinkle wrote:For the Arlington Court folks, do any of you know what the laundry situation is like? Is there like a laundry room in the building, and if not where is the nearest laundromat?
The unit I looked at (and I'm assuming my unit) had a washer/dryer in the basement.

showNprove

Silver

Post by showNprove » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:29 am

Last edited by showNprove on Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:42 am

geoffree wrote:
limegreen wrote:
napolnic wrote:
limegreen wrote:
Copeley is the closest family housing, I believe. It's pretty darn close but I think a lot of Jeffersonian apts are just as close.
http://www.virginia.edu/housing/options ... ype=family
I think you misunderstood... I was asking about parking close to the law school for 1Ls and what the parking lottery is like. I read somewhere (can't remember?) that if you have a young child, or a couple of other things, you can ask for closer parking as a 1L or something and I was asking where that information was and who you would talk to at the school about that if you fall into any of those categories.

And no, I wouldn't really have a kid to get a better parking spot. I don't want kids.... ever.

Wahoo1L

New

Post by Wahoo1L » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:02 pm

limegreen wrote: I think you misunderstood... I was asking about parking close to the law school for 1Ls and what the parking lottery is like. I read somewhere (can't remember?) that if you have a young child, or a couple of other things, you can ask for closer parking as a 1L or something and I was asking where that information was and who you would talk to at the school about that if you fall into any of those categories.

And no, I wouldn't really have a kid to get a better parking spot. I don't want kids.... ever.
None of the parking is terribly far away. If you don't mind walking 10-12 minutes, you can probably get by without buying a parking pass. One of my sectionmates just parked on Arlington, and if that was full, he'd park on Milmont and thus didn't have to spend the $450(?) on parking.

I believe most 1L's with a parking pass, park at The Park which is just down the hill from the law school, and is probably a 7 minute walk. I could be wrong about the exact time, but the point is that it's a minor inconvenience for 1L's to have to walk up the hill, but nothing too bad.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:48 pm

Wahoo1L wrote:
limegreen wrote: I think you misunderstood... I was asking about parking close to the law school for 1Ls and what the parking lottery is like. I read somewhere (can't remember?) that if you have a young child, or a couple of other things, you can ask for closer parking as a 1L or something and I was asking where that information was and who you would talk to at the school about that if you fall into any of those categories.

None of the parking is terribly far away. If you don't mind walking 10-12 minutes, you can probably get by without buying a parking pass. One of my sectionmates just parked on Arlington, and if that was full, he'd park on Milmont and thus didn't have to spend the $450(?) on parking.

I believe most 1L's with a parking pass, park at The Park which is just down the hill from the law school, and is probably a 7 minute walk. I could be wrong about the exact time, but the point is that it's a minor inconvenience for 1L's to have to walk up the hill, but nothing too bad.
Thanks for the details. So am I making up the part about some 1Ls being able to park in the school parking lot if there are spaces left or they have a child or other random reason?

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:12 pm

lsatbobby wrote:thanks. i just thought itd be nice to get out of the law school world for a while, but i guess there are other ways to do that.
http://febclub.blogspot.com/

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:16 pm

Wow, there's less than a month before orientation. I can't believe we're almost 1Ls!!!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:19 pm

CE2JD wrote:Wow, there's less than a month before orientation. I can't believe we're almost 1Ls!!!
Two months! And thank goodness for that, because I don't have any of my crap boxed up, yet.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:22 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
CE2JD wrote:Wow, there's less than a month before orientation. I can't believe we're almost 1Ls!!!
Two months! And thank goodness for that, because I don't have any of my crap boxed up, yet.
Ha. That's what I meant. It's only a month before I move though.

green

Bronze

Post by green » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:22 pm

JSUVA2012 wrote:
That's an awesome 'tar.

CE2JD

Silver

Post by CE2JD » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:26 pm

Speaking of moving... if anyone has stuff they want to be hauled in my moving truck on the way from San Diego to C'ville, I'll consider picking it up for a reasonable fee depending on how out-of-the-way you are from I-40.

I should have room for another bed or two in my truck considering my wife and I decided to get rid of some of the things we previously anticipated bringing with us.

limegreen

Silver

Post by limegreen » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:16 pm

Does anyone who lives (or is going to live) at the Woodlands know the dog policy? I know some complexes won't let you have aggressive breeds and others have a weight limit. I will go ask the rental office at some point but I don't think they are there right now. The lease says no dogs and you need written permission for a pet, but I see lots of people with cute little puppies so obviously you can have them.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”