Berkeley Class of 2012 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2012)
mijahe

New

Re: Berkeley Class of 2012

Post by mijahe » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:26 am

amyLAchemist wrote:
rhythmgen wrote:I got an email back the day after I emailed them the form requesting somewhere to stay. They said they would sort it out later but that it wouldn't be a problem
wtf? I sent it in a few weeks ago, called about it, and e-mail them about it and they still haven't gotten back to me. Aigh, I think I'll call again. I would really like to not have to get a hotel, but if I do, it's ok, but I'd just like to know!

How did you send it rhythm?
They never responded to my original e-mail, but I e-mailed to confirm they got it, and they got back to me pretty quickly--within a few hours really. They said they're still in the process of finding host, etc. Should be a pretty fun time.

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:00 pm

My wife and I fly in to SFO on Wed and out early Sun. I've got a bunch of family to visit and cruising neighborhoods to see where we might want to live, but if there are drinks or a quick meet-up I'll be there.

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:41 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:Yeah, I am up for drinks on thursday night too! Woo!
Personally, I think I'll be disappointed if you show up in anything but a poofy yellow princess dress. :lol:

calapp09

New

Post by calapp09 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:53 pm

legends159 wrote:flying into SFO on Thursday, leaving Sunday morning.

I will be spending a lot of time at SF Thursday and Saturday. If anyone wants to tag along let me know.

So far we have planned to go to SF Moma, Trolly car museum, Alcatraz, Chinatown, Japan Town, and fisherman's wharf

You should also go to the new Academy of Sciences Center in Golden Gate Park... its really neat if you have the time!
http://www.calacademy.org

Oh! and if anyone will still be here on Sunday there is a Buddhist Temple that does Thai brunch thats open to the public... its a really "berkeley" thing to do and its right down the street from Boalt's community clinic, the EBCLC, if you wanted to see what that looks like.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/wat-mongkolratanaram-berkeley

mijahe

New

Post by mijahe » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:05 pm

Does anyone know what the priority deadline is for getting financial aid stuff in? Also, is there a deadline for the scholarship essays?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

alleycat3

New

Post by alleycat3 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:24 pm

mijahe wrote:Does anyone know what the priority deadline is for getting financial aid stuff in? Also, is there a deadline for the scholarship essays?
That's a good question. I couldn't find the priority deadline either. And it seems like Berkeley doesn't require the actual taxes, right? Just Need Access and FAFSA?

All this financial stuff is making me pull out my hair :(

legends159

Silver

Post by legends159 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:13 pm

March 2nd I believe

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:00 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:So....we have to send it that "I might come here" form by April 1, and then the seat deposit by June 1? That confused me....
Got my package today. (YAY!) The date is 15 April, but other than that, that's the way I understand it.

Confusing or not, how awesome is it they don't require a dime to hold the seat!? Their rationale makes sense, but I wonder how many times it bites them in the rear...

rhythmgen

New

Post by rhythmgen » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:02 pm

So yeah I emailed in my form on like the 8th or 9th of January and I got an email back saying I was on a list but since I was one of the first people on the list they did not anticipate a problem. They just sent me another email today confirming that I had requested a student host and that they would try to find one. It was the Assistant Dean of Admissions I was talking to by email.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crazyinalabama

Bronze

Post by crazyinalabama » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:37 pm

1. I just now found this forum and it got me really psyched to visit in April! I booked it beginning of January and have since found out that every other schools ASW is that weekend practically - their willingness to pay for the airfare is oh so clever. However, I'm excited again! Is everyone on this thread for sure going to Berkeley? I'm still undecided.

2. I am flying into SFO late Thursday afternoon (5:30ish) and leaving Sunday morning. If anyone gets in around the same time and wants to navigate together, I'd be up for the adventure. I'd be much more enthusiastic about public transportation if I have someone to buddy up with and I'll bring you a present!

3. Anyone staying in SF Saturday and have any suggestions of areas to stay/hotels?

4. I promise never to post in list format again :)

Adrian

New

Post by Adrian » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:13 pm

Amy: Did your host say whether or not they would pick you up?

I hope if I get a host they would be able to pick me up because I have never been to San Francisco before in my life. Yet, I do not want to be a pest to the people who are willing to share their home with me for a few days.

To Everybody:
I'm getting into the San Francisco airport around 7:15 on April 2nd, is anyone else arriving around that time? I wouldn't mind meeting up with somebody and sharing a taxi or going on a bart, if the student hosts are not able to pick us up.

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:09 pm

quick question berkeley-ites - did anyone who sent in the extra fin aid materials (extra essays, etc.) ever receive any confirmation? how are we to know it wasn't sucked into some sort of fax black hole?

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:12 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
doyleoil wrote:quick question berkeley-ites - did anyone who sent in the extra fin aid materials (extra essays, etc.) ever receive any confirmation? how are we to know it wasn't sucked into some sort of fax black hole?
I never did, but I called to check and they said they got it. If I were you, I would check with them. A little neurotic, but then no more worrying about the fax black hole. ;)
haha good call - i'll have to get on the horn

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Adrian

New

Post by Adrian » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:58 am

Cool thanks for the info Amy! :)

M_Cool

New

Post by M_Cool » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:20 pm

It's grading, but simplified and makes more sense.

What's the point of having the F - C+ graduations when they are very rarely, and sometimes never used at most T25 schools? Might as well just simplify it into 3 graduations (below average, avg, above avg).

If you look at grades from decades ago, the F - C+ WAS used frequently. I can't remember who, but one of the supreme court justices released his grades and he had like 5 D's and still finished in the top 1/3 of his class. Damn grade inflation.. :)

Formerbruin

Bronze

Post by Formerbruin » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:03 am

I look forward to meeting all y'all at ASW. Ken promised to supply the first $100 of, ah, liquid refreshment.

bgc

Bronze

Post by bgc » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:23 am

amyLAchemist wrote:
doyleoil wrote:quick question berkeley-ites - did anyone who sent in the extra fin aid materials (extra essays, etc.) ever receive any confirmation? how are we to know it wasn't sucked into some sort of fax black hole?
I never did, but I called to check and they said they got it. If I were you, I would check with them. A little neurotic, but then no more worrying about the fax black hole. ;)
What are these aid materials? I was accepted a couple of weeks ago by email but haven't gotten anything since.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Adrian

New

Post by Adrian » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:20 pm

BGC:
Yeah all that stuff comes in when you receive the packet. You should be getting it soon, it took me about two weeks to finally receive my packet.

bgc

Bronze

Post by bgc » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:40 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:It will come in the first packet you receive. :)
Thanks.

mijahe

New

Post by mijahe » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:59 pm

Has anyone other than Amy heard from a student host yet?

dueprocess14

Bronze

Post by dueprocess14 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:51 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
Formerbruin wrote:I look forward to meeting all y'all at ASW. Ken promised to supply the first $100 of, ah, liquid refreshment.
I just saw this. This is fantastic.
Haven't been able to book my flight yet due to various complications with my itinerary, but I'm definitely excited for this too! Sunshine, here we come (for those of us not in Cali)! :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:25 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:
Formerbruin wrote:I look forward to meeting all y'all at ASW. Ken promised to supply the first $100 of, ah, liquid refreshment.
I just saw this. This is fantastic.
+1

Though in reality, we should be buying his drinks for creating TLS....

(yes, Ken, that is a formal offer!)

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:10 pm

amyLAchemist wrote: I'll buy a drink for Ken, but only if it is a Jaeger-bomb. :P
:lol:

alleycat3

New

Post by alleycat3 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:20 pm

Sorry to change the subject from alcohol... I sound like a real downer.

BUT can someone confirm for me that Berkeley only wants the FAFSA, Need Access, and their own form (the one we completed back with our original application)? Almost every other school (well, except Michigan... maybe someone can confirm this for me too!) wants at least my tax returns, and a lot want my parents' as well. I feel like I am trying to prove a negative and it makes me worried that I am missing something!

doyleoil

Silver

Post by doyleoil » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:28 pm

alleycat3 wrote:Sorry to change the subject from alcohol... I sound like a real downer.

BUT can someone confirm for me that Berkeley only wants the FAFSA, Need Access, and their own form (the one we completed back with our original application)? Almost every other school (well, except Michigan... maybe someone can confirm this for me too!) wants at least my tax returns, and a lot want my parents' as well. I feel like I am trying to prove a negative and it makes me worried that I am missing something!
i think this is right, for both berkeley and michigan - berkeley doesn't make it easy though - there's no lay-out of the steps on the website or in the acceptance materials, i don't think - i think they want us to get confused so we have to pay more - :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2012 Forum”