Evidence admission is more difficult this year? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
D. H2Oman

Platinum

Re: Evidence admission is more difficult this year?

Post by D. H2Oman » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:40 pm

I heard today that the total number of applicants is projected to be up 997%. Everyone is screwed. But don't worry, you're better off not getting in because there will never be any jobs for you anyways.

jackgrf

New

Post by jackgrf » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:05 am

it's definitely a more competitive cycle this year.

examples)
michigan's applications are up 20%.
cornell's applications are up 16%

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:43 am

jackgrf wrote:it's definitely a more competitive cycle this year.

examples)
Why do people keep citing the number of applications? This is almost a completely meaningless statistic. I think it's clear from other statistics that have been presented that a similar number of applicants are simply applying to more schools. That doesn't mean it's going to be more competitive, because withdrawls are likely to be up as well.

jackgrf

New

Post by jackgrf » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:48 am

JCougar wrote:

examples)
Why do people keep citing the number of applications? This is almost a completely meaningless statistic. I think it's clear from other statistics that have been presented that a similar number of applicants are simply applying to more schools. That doesn't mean it's going to be more competitive, because withdrawls are likely to be up as well.
link? supposedly because of the shitty economy more people are applying to law school

123xalady

Bronze

Post by 123xalady » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:52 am

yes but these people are not necessarily competitive.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SAE

Silver

Post by SAE » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:00 pm

A good tell is the GPA/LSAT medians (duh), but those don't come out until next cycle.

Still way too early to estimate them based on LSN.

jackgrf

New

Post by jackgrf » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:04 pm

123xalady wrote:yes but these people are not necessarily competitive.
given the more liberal lsat retaking policy and the increase in lsat retakers (examples - those who wait a year and apply with better lsats), i'd gander that they probably are competitive. it could be a ton of high scoring lsat test takers from different lsat administrations who are all applying this cycle because of the economy.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:38 pm

jackgrf wrote:
JCougar wrote:

examples)
link? supposedly because of the shitty economy more people are applying to law school
Statistics were cited earlier in this thread.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:43 pm

The two things with which I agree that I have taken from this thread:

1) More spots opening up because all the neurotic TLSers applied to 15+ schools (In the interest of full disclosure: I've applied to 20, and am getting the itch to send off a few more)

2) I read no Fordham threads, but it makes absolute sense that Fordham, by virtue of location, would be more competitive this year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:49 pm

I was strong consider at Cornell. Over 50 percent of applicants on LSN in the last five years with similar numbers to mine were admitted. All of the rest were waitlisted. I have decent softs, no criminal or academic dishonesty background - squeaky clean. Good LORs.

I was rejected.

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:52 pm

jayzon wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:I was strong consider at Cornell. Over 50 percent of applicants on LSN in the last five years with similar numbers to mine were admitted. All of the rest were waitlisted. I have decent softs, no criminal or academic dishonesty background - squeaky clean. Good LORs.

I was rejected.
Sorry. If it makes you feel any better, I laugh every time I see your tar.
Thanks, on both counts. Realistically, I probably would have still gone with a T20 full ride over Cornell at cost, but it still sucks to not have that decision to make.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:54 pm

jayzon wrote:http://cornell.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Just one of many -- you can go through some of the T14 and compare actual admits/wl/rejections vs. the more accurate predictors, and find some "auto admits" who are on waitlists, and some "strong considers" who have been dinged.
I don't really see what you are talking about.

1) Look at the usual suspects in the Midwest. WUSTL, Minnesota, UIUC, IU-B, all seem to be aiming for the same LSAT median as last year.

2) Acceptances don't mean those people will matriculate. More people headed to the upper T14 could be simply applying to Cornell as a safety this year.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:55 pm

Halibut6 wrote:I was strong consider at Cornell. Over 50 percent of applicants on LSN in the last five years with similar numbers to mine were admitted. All of the rest were waitlisted. I have decent softs, no criminal or academic dishonesty background - squeaky clean. Good LORs.

I was rejected.
Cornell is being significantly more choosy this year. Under 3.3 is autodeny. And if you are below median LSAT you better have a 3.8+ GPA.

I think they are attempting a numbers jump, but going about it wrong. They should be waitlisting those splitters (both high and low) in case they need them.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:57 pm

A waitlist would have been better for my ego, but not for my optimism for admission.

rocross1

Bronze

Post by rocross1 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:16 pm

My anecdotal evidence is that it is not an extremely dificult cycle, but the number of applicants has risen. According to every acceptance I have gotten the admissions numbers are at record levels. That said, if you are a good candidate and apply to a good group of realistic schools you should be ok. When I posted my "what are my chances list" a few months ago the pessimist on this site all said I had little chance to get in to any of these schools during this tough cycle, but so far I have gotten into almost every school accept one and waitlisted at one. I am 8 out of 14 and very happy plus I have gotten $$ at several schools. I did have good softs and my case is anecdotal, but my point is TLS generaly is on the conservative/cautious side and ones chances aren't always as bad as TLS makes them out to be. Which is a good thing I would rather expect to do poorly and be pleasantly surprised than be unrealistic and let down. More applicants does not mean more quality applicants and law schools can tell the difference. In this environment PS's and individual resumes make a difference.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:57 pm

jayzon wrote:
JCougar wrote:
jayzon wrote:http://cornell.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Just one of many -- you can go through some of the T14 and compare actual admits/wl/rejections vs. the more accurate predictors, and find some "auto admits" who are on waitlists, and some "strong considers" who have been dinged.
I don't really see what you are talking about.

1) Look at the usual suspects in the Midwest. WUSTL, Minnesota, UIUC, IU-B, all seem to be aiming for the same LSAT median as last year.
See it now? :mrgreen:
LOL. Yes. Perhaps the T14 is just getting more applicants that originally would have felt they would be fine staying regional with a better economy.

It's hard to tell.

rw2264

Bronze

Post by rw2264 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:03 pm

februaryftw wrote:I'm baffled as to how an increase in the size of LSAT administrations is not leading to a greater number of applicants (if we assume the 1% increase in applicant claim). Any explanations?

law school noobs who decided to take it last minute, don't hang out on this forum, and haven't submitted their applications yet / never will.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:11 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:25 pm

Just below med LSAT, above 75th gpa.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”