Admissions Office Shout-Outs

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DanInALionsDen

Re: Admissions Office Shout-Outs

Postby DanInALionsDen » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:19 am

I spoke to a woman at NYU admissions and financial aid who was really nice.

fidesverita

Postby fidesverita » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:04 pm

-1 Yale ... again. They have never been polite over the phone. I really don't understand where their attitude problem comes from. I just wanted to know if they preferred email or snail mail for file updates. She said nobody will care and it probably won't be noticed (uh thanks? :shock: ).

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:07 pm

+1 to Iowa. Very friendly

nahgems

Postby nahgems » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:14 pm

-1 for Santa Clara. The Assistant Dean of Admissions wrote me an email that contained typos and was generally incomprehensible. Several people read it and no one could figure out what it meant. It probably impacted my view of the school more than it should have.

starstruck393

Postby starstruck393 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:20 pm

+∞ Michigan

/thread

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:24 pm

+3 Stetson - Amazingly friendly and detailed on any and every question.
+1 Michigan State
+1 Indiana (very diligent in answering all queries)
+1 Wake Forest
+2 University of Arizona
+1 Lewis and Clark
+1.5 Connecticut
+.5 Santa Clara (strange advice, but quick response)
+1 Syracuse
+1 Drake
+.5 Cornell - Slow but helpful
+.5 Mercer
+.5 Chapman
+1 Denver
+1 Vermont Law

Neutral - St. John's (terse, short, but ultimately adequate)

-3 Penn State (horribly rude)
-1 Temple (never called back)

hds2388

Postby hds2388 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:46 pm

Though not the worlds greatest school, the lady I called at Syracuse to talk about a fee waiver situation was super nice and went out of her way to take care of things quickly for me. Furthermore, my admission letter was super nice and filled with personal details from my app. Even though these were probably just mail merged in, this sort of attention to the individual always makes a school look good. It was nice enough that I wore the shirt that I got with the application today, despite my minimal interest to attend the school.

I just don't get how schools can justify having rude staff members in admission. If a staff member is nice and attentive, it sets an overall tone in your mind that makes them more attractive. It may not directly correlate with people being more likely to attend, but I bet there is some correlation.

Dead Ringer

Postby Dead Ringer » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:50 pm

Chicago was great to me on a personal level. Big shout out to NYU for the great ASW.

thanksforthefish

Postby thanksforthefish » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:09 pm

+
michigan
illinois
vanderbilt
texas
georgetown
gwu

-
virginia
duke
penn

drsomebody

Postby drsomebody » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:18 pm

Michigan has, without a doubt, been the most proactive, friendly, responsive and generally supportive admissions committee. It has actually made me more inclined to accept an offer from them if they admit me, something I was on the fence about at first. At the very least, I'll fly out there to visit if I get in.

UVA and Columbia have also been above average.

There are a few schools that have been decidedly unhelpful and hostile. I'll spill the beans after admissions decisions have been made.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:31 pm

+1
Indiana-Bloomington - email interactions have been pleasant
Michigan - didn't have the wet dream that a lot of people seem to have had with them, but they were ok
Texas - their student assistant was sick when I was there, so an assistant dean gave me a tour - they then rejected me as a Strong Consider, but I wouldn't have gone there anyway, so it's ok
DePaul - I didn't really consider them, but they are very personal in their approach to admissions; very refreshing

Georgetown - granted, I showed up unexpected, but they wouldn't give me a campus tour when I was there - just gave me a map and told me to have fun
Illinois - never returned the email I sent them about my residency question

GMULiz

Postby GMULiz » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:53 pm

sharthree wrote:+

GMU--refuses to answer general questions that were not immediately visible on website, rude
BU--takes forever to give you any sort of answer immediately

[GMU story---I called to inquire about getting a tour last year, and I was told (rather rudely) that all tours needed to be set up over the website. I was surprised, but figured I would look into it. I asked if it was located on the front page or if she had a specific url I could use. She said "its on the website" and then hung up. I want to go to GMU but I was surprised at how someone could be so rude when they are trying to attract students.]

As someone who went to Mason for their undergrad, this is one of the biggest reasons I'm not even applying for law school there. I loved my professors, the experiences, etc- but dealing with the bureaucracy there was just awful, and I'm not willing to give that school a cent more. Just remember, if they treat you that way now, imagine how nice they'll be once they have you in their grasp.

IMO- Denver, Santa Clara, American are great.

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:58 pm

Chicago - awesome. (In my experience)
NYU - do they even have one? I couldn't tell

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”