Duke Priority Track Invite / Fee Waiver

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Tangerine Gleam

Duke Priority Track Invite / Fee Waiver

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:19 am

May the waivers commence!

I just got my first one -- an email from Duke giving me a fee waiver and inviting me to apply for the non-binding priority track. They say that as long as I submit my app before Feb 15th, I'll get a deision in 10 days?! Do any other T14's do this?

Also, can someone chance me? 172/3.5x/3+ years WE. I plan on submitting my app next week and including a "Why Duke" essay.

triplecats

Re: Duke Priority Track Invite / Fee Waiver

Postby triplecats » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:22 am

Unless you murdered someone, you're in Duke almost certainly. No other T14s do the priority track; a few schools (Cornell, UT-Austin) will guarantee a response back by around mid-January if you submit your app early, but that's it.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:24 am

triplecats wrote:Unless you murdered someone, you're in Duke almost certainly.

Fuck.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:27 am

:D But really, thanks. Good to know!

I've noticed that, on LSN, UVA sometimes makes immediate decisions, but it doesn't appear to be consistent. Georegetown can also be quick on the draw, but not systematically. I guess all the more reason to get my apps in now.

Man, if I had a T14 acceptance in 2-3 weeks, that would be damn nice.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:27 am

Hoping to get a priority track waiver soon. I have already added Duke to my school list although I haven't started the application. Does this hurt your chances of getting fee waivers/PT offers?

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:34 am

GeePee wrote:Hoping to get a priority track waiver soon. I have already added Duke to my school list although I haven't started the application. Does this hurt your chances of getting fee waivers/PT offers?

Essays aside, my Duke app has been active, and nearly completed, for weeks. So it definitely won't get in the way. I'm sure schools have no idea if you've started their app or not.

I just got mine 15 min ago. With that big-dicked 175, you should definitely be getting one too! :D

Slansky

Postby Slansky » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:12 pm

I just got one of these and was kind of floored. I just got my shiny 170 on Friday--this is definitely from the new scores. I am 170/3.85. So apparently 170 is not too low!

wackjickham

Postby wackjickham » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:18 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote::D But really, thanks. Good to know!

I've noticed that, on LSN, UVA sometimes makes immediate decisions, but it doesn't appear to be consistent. Georegetown can also be quick on the draw, but not systematically. I guess all the more reason to get my apps in now.

Man, if I had a T14 acceptance in 2-3 weeks, that would be damn nice.

I had higher numbers and was not invited to PT, so I would guess you have a pretty good chance if invited.
UVA makes quick decisions, but only for ED, RD people haven't gotten touched yet I don't think (I could be wrong).
Georgetown is also pretty quick, I submitted a little over two weeks ago and am already under review.

I would put you with a good chance at Duke, but then again I always hesitate to give people advice on this site because I realize that I know nothing. So take that for what its worth :D

Dialogue

Postby Dialogue » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:24 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:

Fuck.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Priority track is more than just a quick turn-around. As mentioned, it means you're pretty much a shoe-in. Congrats!

irie

Postby irie » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:32 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:

Fuck.

don't worry about this. I heard that if you murdered someone freshman year but haven't murdered anyone since Duke will look strongly at this upward trend.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:34 pm

irie wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:

Fuck.

don't worry about this. I heard that if you murdered someone freshman year but haven't murdered anyone since Duke will look strongly at this upward trend.

This applies doubly for rape allegations. Especially if you play lacrosse.

duodora

Postby duodora » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:38 pm

Damn it! I really want to apply but never got one. I definitely have a high enough LSAT, but my transcript isn't in yet >.<

Any thoughts if it's possible to request one, or is that just douchey?

zoey15

Postby zoey15 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:39 pm

yeah i just got the email too, but i was not expecting it-- my gpa is just above 3.5 and i always got the impression duke was heavily weighted towards gpa? whatever, i guess i should just admit that i know nothing about this process.

Slansky

Postby Slansky » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:41 pm

duodora wrote:Damn it! I really want to apply but never got one. I definitely have a high enough LSAT, but my transcript isn't in yet >.<

I wouldn't request it, but once your transcript is processed they may send you one later! The priority thing is available through next year, so it's not like you'd have to do it now.

facetious

Postby facetious » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:43 pm

do they send them all out at once? if i haven't received an email yet (but have all the info in), should i assume i won't be getting one? i'm a 3.77/171 and pt would be so nice...

duodora

Postby duodora » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:46 pm

Slansky wrote:
duodora wrote:Damn it! I really want to apply but never got one. I definitely have a high enough LSAT, but my transcript isn't in yet >.<

I wouldn't request it, but once your transcript is processed they may send you one later! The priority thing is available through next year, so it's not like you'd have to do it now.

Yeah--that would be nice! Unfortunately I was hoping to apply within a day or two of when my LSAC gpa is up (My study abroad grades finally got added to my school transcript about a week ago so I've been waiting on those).

Think it'd be better to wait for a priority track invitation or apply asap?

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:46 pm

my understanding of this was that if you get the PT then you are near auto-admit territory. Congrats TG, Slansky and Zoey

thepunisher24

Postby thepunisher24 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:46 pm

Last edited by thepunisher24 on Fri May 27, 2011 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

hoopsguy6

Postby hoopsguy6 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:47 pm

Uhh, I asked for an invite. That may have been a mistake, but I probably won't apply if they don't give me one. I'll post back later with either good news or news of my humiliating rejection.

urban_cdn

Postby urban_cdn » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:58 pm

maybe this is a dumb question but im gonna ask anyway haha. i got this priority track fee waiver from duke as well and i was just wondering if it is sent on the basis of my LSAT score alone or my GPA as well? if i have my transcripts on file at LSAC does that mean schools know what my GPA is as well even though ive sent no applications yet or anything like that?

triplecats

Postby triplecats » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:59 pm

I seem to remember several people requesting them earlier this year and they got them. Of course, they had 170s (or maybe a 168-9), but I don't think Duke is going to resent you for putting the question to them.

And to the most recent poster: the PT invite is done almost entirely on the basis of your LSAT score. I doubt Duke knows your GPA, or even cares much if your LSAT is high enough.

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:02 pm

My scores are better than most 175 and 3.65 and I don't have a single fee waiver and I plan on applying to duke.. How do I go about getting these sent? Signed up for CRS on Saturday.

Tangerine Gleam

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:06 pm

That doesn't seem right...people with better stats aren't getting invites, and yet becuase I did I can almost certainly expect an admit?

The letter said something about my "stellar academic record". What else could be driving the invite? I got a double major from a top-tier UG, but I don't see that factoring. Maybe they think I'm more likely because I'm from the south. :)

taxman021

Postby taxman021 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:07 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:That doesn't seem right...people with better stats aren't getting invites, and yet becuase I did I can almost certainly expect an admit?

The letter said something about my "stellar academic record". What else could be driving the invite? I got a double major from a top-tier UG, but I don't see that factoring. Maybe they think I'm more likely because I'm from the south. :)

i actually read somewhere that reputation of your college plays a factor in whether you get offered PT or not (assuming you did very well at that ug)

Unitas

Postby Unitas » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:08 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:That doesn't seem right...people with better stats aren't getting invites, and yet becuase I did I can almost certainly expect an admit?

I'm from south carolina.. I don't know your stats and didn't mean to sound jerkish. I just skimmed the thread and someone said they didn't have great numbers.. I may have even misread. Just wondering why I haven't gotten a single fee waiver.. From anyone..

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”