T10 Toughest Law Schools To Get Into

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mallen210
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:51 pm

T10 Toughest Law Schools To Get Into

Postby mallen210 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:05 am

Following a debate with someone, I'm curious what you think? PR's list is crap!

1. Yale
2. Harvard
3. Stanford
4. Berkeley
5. Columbia
6. Chicago
7. Penn
8. NYU
9. Virginia
10. Michigan

Just my 2 cents...
Last edited by mallen210 on Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

dickfitzwell
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:40 am

Re: T10 Toughest Laws School To Get Into

Postby dickfitzwell » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:08 am

:P
Last edited by dickfitzwell on Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: T10 Toughest Laws School To Get Into

Postby dresden doll » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:11 am

This is probably best answered by comparing acceptance rates across the board. If I had to guess though, I'd say it's

1) Yale
2) Stanford
2) Berkeley (I think Boalt's acceptance rate is actually lower than Harvard's but I'm not totally sure about this)
4) Harvard
5) Penn (courtesy of its relentless YP policy)
6) Columbia
7) Chicago
8) Michigan
9) Virginia (though it might possibly deserve to be ranked even higher as of this year due to the extremely competitive admissions cycle)
10) Northwestern

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: T10 Toughest Laws School To Get Into

Postby imchuckbass58 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:11 am

mallen210 wrote:Following a debate with someone, I'm curious what you think? PR's list is crap!

1. Yale
2. Harvard
3. Stanford
4. Berkeley
5. Columbia
6. Chicago
7. Penn
8. NYU
9. Virginia
10. Michigan

Just my 2 cents...


That looks pretty right to me. I might debate switching Berkeley/Columbia and NYU/Penn, but it's probably pretty spot on as is.

User avatar
Unemployed
Posts: 699
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:35 am

Re: T10 Toughest Laws School To Get Into

Postby Unemployed » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:12 am

"Unpredictable" doesn't necessarily mean "tough." Toughness would have to be determined by some combination of GPA/LSAT/softs of the applicant pool, GPA/LSAT/softs of the accepted students, and (maybe) the acceptance rate.

That is to say, it's impossible and pointless to come up with a "T10" list.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: T10 Toughest Law Schools To Get Into

Postby A'nold » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:52 am

UConn, oh yeah.

aph
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:26 pm

.

Postby aph » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:03 am

.
Last edited by aph on Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jay Obee
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:29 am

Re: T10 Toughest Laws School To Get Into

Postby Jay Obee » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:15 am

Unemployed wrote:"Unpredictable" doesn't necessarily mean "tough." Toughness would have to be determined by some combination of GPA/LSAT/softs of the applicant pool, GPA/LSAT/softs of the accepted students, and (maybe) the acceptance rate.

That is to say, it's impossible and pointless to come up with a "T10" list.


+1

Low yield is not equal to toughness. Toughness will vary from person to person, depending on scores. A high GPA/moderately high LSAT applicant may find Berkeley easy and Stanford Hard. A 180/4.0 student may find it hard to convince Penn to believe she would attend and to not YP her. If we are talking about just how hard it is to meet the typical requirements to get into a school, it may be hardest to get into NU, given the difficulty in getting good WE these days. They all have their difficulties. I'm kind of thankful they all don't have the same quirks, though.

masterpinky0509
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:38 pm

Re: T10 Toughest Law Schools To Get Into

Postby masterpinky0509 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:26 am

Stanford is probably more difficult to get into than Harvard. Look at odds calculators at any combination of GPA/LSAT: where Harvard goes to like 90% probability of admission, Stanford still hovers around 50 or 60.

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: T10 Toughest Law Schools To Get Into

Postby dresden doll » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:31 am

masterpinky0509 wrote:Stanford is probably more difficult to get into than Harvard. Look at odds calculators at any combination of GPA/LSAT: where Harvard goes to like 90% probability of admission, Stanford still hovers around 50 or 60.


+1. Harvard is so large that a person with solid stats is all but guaranteed to get in (by solid, of course, I mean damn good). At S and Y, good numbers will only make you marginally competitive; the classes are so small that they can afford to be even more choosy than H.

User avatar
Musil_the_Muse
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:32 pm

Re: T10 Toughest Laws School To Get Into

Postby Musil_the_Muse » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:26 am

hamsterhiatus wrote:
Jay Obee wrote:
Unemployed wrote:"Unpredictable" doesn't necessarily mean "tough." Toughness would have to be determined by some combination of GPA/LSAT/softs of the applicant pool, GPA/LSAT/softs of the accepted students, and (maybe) the acceptance rate.

That is to say, it's impossible and pointless to come up with a "T10" list.


+1

Low yield is not equal to toughness. Toughness will vary from person to person, depending on scores. A high GPA/moderately high LSAT applicant may find Berkeley easy and Stanford Hard. A 180/4.0 student may find it hard to convince Penn to believe she would attend and to not YP her. If we are talking about just how hard it is to meet the typical requirements to get into a school, it may be hardest to get into NU, given the difficulty in getting good WE these days. They all have their difficulties. I'm kind of thankful they all don't have the same quirks, though.


+ 1

Anyone who thinks Berkeley is harder to get into than Harvard is a retard.

Berkeley might get more applicants (and hence lower acceptance rate than X school) because low LSATs tend to apply to Berkeley thinking they have a shot while self-selecting out of applying to Harvard.

You cannot equate difficulty of getting in with "black box" admissions nor can you equate it with acceptance percentage rate alone. You have to look at GPA/LSAT acceptance combinations for accepted applicants along with the number of applicants for each school, the quality of the entire applicant pool at each school, and how much ECs/WE factor in for admissions.

Conclusion? This is a really retarded thread. For example, a high GPA/low LSAT tard might have an easy time getting into Berkeley and have no shot at Harvard because the LSAT is far too low.


credited

law2012
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:12 pm

Re: T10 Toughest Law Schools To Get Into

Postby law2012 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:39 am

hamsterhiatus, your post is offensive.

1337Law
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: T10 Toughest Law Schools To Get Into

Postby 1337Law » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:39 am

law2012 wrote:hamsterhiatus, your post is offensive.


not to us high lsat/low gpa splitters

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 7669
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: T10 Toughest Law Schools To Get Into

Postby worldtraveler » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:40 am

1337Law wrote:
law2012 wrote:hamsterhiatus, your post is offensive.


not to us high lsat/low gpa splitters


I'm pretty sure he was referencing the use of the term "retard".

1337Law
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: T10 Toughest Law Schools To Get Into

Postby 1337Law » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:46 am

worldtraveler wrote:
1337Law wrote:
law2012 wrote:hamsterhiatus, your post is offensive.


not to us high lsat/low gpa splitters


I'm pretty sure he was referencing the use of the term "retard".


world stop trying to correct me, i know exactly what he means,

he was calling the high gpa splitters tards,

i said i wasn't offended, since i'm a high lsat splitter,

see????

1337Law
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: T10 Toughest Law Schools To Get Into

Postby 1337Law » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:11 pm

hamsterhiatus wrote:
law2012 wrote:hamsterhiatus, your post is offensive.


:?: Is it because you are going to Berkeley? Berkeley is probably the easiest top 10 school to get into for high GPA/low LSAT splittards.


LOL AHAHAHAHA splittards

acegikm
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:21 pm

Re: T10 Toughest Law Schools To Get Into

Postby acegikm » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:20 pm

Come on future lawyers, can't we think of something more clever than the r-word?

From Special Olympics:
The 7 million people with intellectual disabilities (around the planet) who are on the receiving end of this hate speak are NEVER going to return your vitriol. Ever! So what could possibly be the up-side of continuing to use the "R-word" in your daily discourse?
http://www.r-word.org/?jmid=18395&j=231481601

Sorry for the political correctness diatribe, but this thread is just over the top.

1474292940502124
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:43 pm

Re: T10 Toughest Law Schools To Get Into

Postby 1474292940502124 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:24 pm

acegikm wrote:Come on future lawyers, can't we think of something more clever than the r-word?

From Special Olympics:
The 7 million people with intellectual disabilities (around the planet) who are on the receiving end of this hate speak are NEVER going to return your vitriol. Ever! So what could possibly be the up-side of continuing to use the "R-word" in your daily discourse?
http://www.r-word.org/?jmid=18395&j=231481601

Sorry for the political correctness diatribe, but this thread is just over the top.

What if I retard the engine?

1337Law
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: T10 Toughest Law Schools To Get Into

Postby 1337Law » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:28 pm

betasteve wrote:
acegikm wrote:Come on future lawyers, can't we think of something more clever than the r-word?

From Special Olympics:
The 7 million people with intellectual disabilities (around the planet) who are on the receiving end of this hate speak are NEVER going to return your vitriol. Ever! So what could possibly be the up-side of continuing to use the "R-word" in your daily discourse?
http://www.r-word.org/?jmid=18395&j=231481601

Sorry for the political correctness diatribe, but this thread is just over the top.

What if I retard the engine?


what about in slang? like

yo' bra, that shit's tard!

acegikm
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:21 pm

Re: T10 Toughest Law Schools To Get Into

Postby acegikm » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:40 pm

Most people don’t think of this word as hate speech, but that’s exactly what it feels like to millions of people with intellectual disabilities, their families and friends. Using "retard" as a term of derision is just as cruel and offensive as any other slur.

Tip: invest in a thesaurus before starting law school. Good luck

motownsaint
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:38 am

Re: T10 Toughest Law Schools To Get Into

Postby motownsaint » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:27 pm

1.) What's the current socially acceptable way to refer to someone who is authentically retarded?

2.) Approximately how long will it be until that term becomes taboo?

User avatar
dresden doll
Posts: 6802
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:11 am

Re: T10 Toughest Laws School To Get Into

Postby dresden doll » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:35 pm

hamsterhiatus wrote:Anyone who thinks Berkeley is harder to get into than Harvard is a retard.

Berkeley might get more applicants (and hence lower acceptance rate than X school) because low LSATs tend to apply to Berkeley thinking they have a shot while self-selecting out of applying to Harvard.

You cannot equate difficulty of getting in with "black box" admissions nor can you equate it with acceptance percentage rate alone. You have to look at GPA/LSAT acceptance combinations for accepted applicants along with the number of applicants for each school, the quality of the entire applicant pool at each school, and how much ECs/WE factor in for admissions.

Conclusion? This is a really retarded thread. For example, a high GPA/low LSAT tard might have an easy time getting into Berkeley and have no shot at Harvard because the LSAT is far too low.


Fair point. I admit I do equate 'black box' style admissions with toughness to an extent (I don't exactly have taste for unpredictability of that sort) but it probably is more sensible to base it off of the medley of factors.

I'd still say the first spot would be taken by Yale, with Stanford second, though.

User avatar
flhealth
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:28 am

Re: T10 Toughest Law Schools To Get Into

Postby flhealth » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:37 pm

i'll bet when the statistics come out this year, Florida is on the list....ridiculous this year

1337Law
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:00 pm

Re: T10 Toughest Law Schools To Get Into

Postby 1337Law » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:38 pm

flhealth wrote:i'll bet when the statistics come out this year, Florida is on the list....ridiculous this year


not a chance in a century from now's hell, uf is overrated as is

User avatar
babs22pa
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:21 pm

Re: T10 Toughest Law Schools To Get Into

Postby babs22pa » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:44 pm

This all depends on what your strengths v. weaknesses are (LSAT, GPA, softs). A better thread would be hardest schools to get into with a low LSAT/high GPA, hardest schools for a low GPA/high LSAT, for strong numbers/bad softs, etc.

For most people it's probably something like this:
Yale
Stanford
Harvard
Columbia
Berkeley
Chicago
NYU
Penn
Michigan
Virginia




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 6 guests