international student at a disadvantage?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
quiksliver
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:31 am

international student at a disadvantage?

Postby quiksliver » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:00 pm

just wondering if non us applicants are at any disadvtange applying to t-14 schools, getting jobs etc.

btw if i do get into a t-14 i plan on staying

paraducks
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 10:38 pm

Re: international student at a disadvantage?

Postby paraducks » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:02 pm

i asked the same thing before applying.

absolutely no disadvantage. if you work it into your PS or are able to someway show diversity/unique experience with it, it could definitely be to your advantage.

in general, though, it's unlikely to significantly affect your admission probability.

User avatar
dextermorgan
Posts: 1138
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:37 am

Re: international student at a disadvantage?

Postby dextermorgan » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:03 pm

I would think that it would add to diversity if anything.

rajesh88
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: international student at a disadvantage?

Postby rajesh88 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:05 pm

quiksliver wrote:just wondering if non us applicants are at any disadvtange applying to t-14 schools, getting jobs etc.

btw if i do get into a t-14 i plan on staying


My cousin asked me this recently... how are you going to get an F-1 visa for a program of study for law school? That shows ridiculous levels of immigrant intent.

paraducks
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 10:38 pm

Re: international student at a disadvantage?

Postby paraducks » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:47 am

rajesh88 wrote:
quiksliver wrote:just wondering if non us applicants are at any disadvtange applying to t-14 schools, getting jobs etc.

btw if i do get into a t-14 i plan on staying


My cousin asked me this recently... how are you going to get an F-1 visa for a program of study for law school? That shows ridiculous levels of immigrant intent.


it shows only the intent to study law in the United States. each year many foreign students successfully apply for f-1's to study law.

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: international student at a disadvantage?

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:15 am

rajesh88 wrote:
quiksliver wrote:just wondering if non us applicants are at any disadvtange applying to t-14 schools, getting jobs etc.

btw if i do get into a t-14 i plan on staying


My cousin asked me this recently... how are you going to get an F-1 visa for a program of study for law school? That shows ridiculous levels of immigrant intent.


You will get the visa, regardless of what he says. Firstly, you do not know where he is from and therefore do not know how easy/difficult it is for him to obtain the visa. Secondly, it is Harvard's statement that they want international students and they want them to take the knowledge they have aquired back to their home countries. Thirdly, US law schools have ridiculously high placement statistics around the world. American law schools are recognized for their rigorous programs and high quality graduates.

rajesh88
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: international student at a disadvantage?

Postby rajesh88 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:44 am

CastleRock wrote:
rajesh88 wrote:
quiksliver wrote:just wondering if non us applicants are at any disadvtange applying to t-14 schools, getting jobs etc.

btw if i do get into a t-14 i plan on staying


My cousin asked me this recently... how are you going to get an F-1 visa for a program of study for law school? That shows ridiculous levels of immigrant intent.


You will get the visa, regardless of what he says. Firstly, you do not know where he is from and therefore do not know how easy/difficult it is for him to obtain the visa. Secondly, it is Harvard's statement that they want international students and they want them to take the knowledge they have aquired back to their home countries. Thirdly, US law schools have ridiculously high placement statistics around the world. American law schools are recognized for their rigorous programs and high quality graduates.


It's hard to get a visa from India for law school - very hard - I know this for a fact.. you need to show assets in India, or get into Harvard.. its easy to get a visa for engineering...

paraducks
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 10:38 pm

Re: international student at a disadvantage?

Postby paraducks » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:51 am

rajesh88 wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
rajesh88 wrote:
quiksliver wrote:just wondering if non us applicants are at any disadvtange applying to t-14 schools, getting jobs etc.

btw if i do get into a t-14 i plan on staying


My cousin asked me this recently... how are you going to get an F-1 visa for a program of study for law school? That shows ridiculous levels of immigrant intent.


You will get the visa, regardless of what he says. Firstly, you do not know where he is from and therefore do not know how easy/difficult it is for him to obtain the visa. Secondly, it is Harvard's statement that they want international students and they want them to take the knowledge they have aquired back to their home countries. Thirdly, US law schools have ridiculously high placement statistics around the world. American law schools are recognized for their rigorous programs and high quality graduates.


It's hard to get a visa from India for law school - very hard - I know this for a fact.. you need to show assets in India, or get into Harvard.. its easy to get a visa for engineering...


of course you have to pay assets. the government has to know that you're not just going to move to america and go broke. but assuming that one has said assets, no, it's not hard.

source: personal experience.

sophie316
Posts: 374
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:08 pm

Re: international student at a disadvantage?

Postby sophie316 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:23 am

Unless you are from some country(and I don't know of any off the top of my head) from which it is not possible to get a US visa, it will not be a problem to go to law school. The problem will come with staying AFTER law school. Don't assume you will be able to do it. If you get a job here, the company can attempt to sponsor you for a visa, but it is a lottery and there are many more applicants for H1B visas than they give out each year, and it's getting harder as time goes on. So be prepared to either marry, or leave after graduation(on an F1 you get 12 months 'optional practical training' so could work in the US for at least a year, assuming you have not done any paid work during your law school summers).

Depending on you are from, I would think long and hard about whether a US law degree will be of any use in your home country. I'm European, so am lucky enough to have many countries I could potentially go and work in if I can't get a visa out of law school.

User avatar
express01
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:17 pm

Re: international student at a disadvantage?

Postby express01 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:41 am

I was pretty worried about it too b/c I had some harsh competition to get a seat in my UG class. Luckily, my numbers & acceptances seem to indicate there is no disadvantage for Intl. students.

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: international student at a disadvantage?

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:39 am

sophie316 wrote:Unless you are from some country(and I don't know of any off the top of my head) from which it is not possible to get a US visa, it will not be a problem to go to law school. The problem will come with staying AFTER law school. Don't assume you will be able to do it. If you get a job here, the company can attempt to sponsor you for a visa, but it is a lottery and there are many more applicants for H1B visas than they give out each year, and it's getting harder as time goes on. So be prepared to either marry, or leave after graduation(on an F1 you get 12 months 'optional practical training' so could work in the US for at least a year, assuming you have not done any paid work during your law school summers).

Depending on you are from, I would think long and hard about whether a US law degree will be of any use in your home country. I'm European, so am lucky enough to have many countries I could potentially go and work in if I can't get a visa out of law school.


Unless you are Canadian, if you are Canadian then you can easily get a TN visa, which you do not need to meet the "Can't find an American to do the job" criteria. And although a TN visa is a temporary visa, you can renew it almost indefinitely, although this is a pain in the ass. Also, the longer you work for a company the easier it will be for you to get an H1B visa, because your employer will be able to claim that you are essential to the company. So it matters where you are from.

sophie316
Posts: 374
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:08 pm

Re: international student at a disadvantage?

Postby sophie316 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:37 pm

CastleRock wrote:
sophie316 wrote:Unless you are from some country(and I don't know of any off the top of my head) from which it is not possible to get a US visa, it will not be a problem to go to law school. The problem will come with staying AFTER law school. Don't assume you will be able to do it. If you get a job here, the company can attempt to sponsor you for a visa, but it is a lottery and there are many more applicants for H1B visas than they give out each year, and it's getting harder as time goes on. So be prepared to either marry, or leave after graduation(on an F1 you get 12 months 'optional practical training' so could work in the US for at least a year, assuming you have not done any paid work during your law school summers).

Depending on you are from, I would think long and hard about whether a US law degree will be of any use in your home country. I'm European, so am lucky enough to have many countries I could potentially go and work in if I can't get a visa out of law school.


Unless you are Canadian, if you are Canadian then you can easily get a TN visa, which you do not need to meet the "Can't find an American to do the job" criteria. And although a TN visa is a temporary visa, you can renew it almost indefinitely, although this is a pain in the ass. Also, the longer you work for a company the easier it will be for you to get an H1B visa, because your employer will be able to claim that you are essential to the company. So it matters where you are from.


That's true, and I believe the rules are also different from Mexico. My mexican roommate had a waaay easier time of getting a visa than I did(or would have had I not given up)

I was under the impression though that Canadian students didn't get an F1 visa, but something else? Or am I wrong?

borealgirl
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:46 am

Re: international student at a disadvantage?

Postby borealgirl » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:00 pm

Canadian students get a regular foreign student visa, and have to show assets sufficient to cover tuition, too. That was one reason why I had to bow out of grad school at Yale a few years ago.

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: international student at a disadvantage?

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:16 pm

sophie316 wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
sophie316 wrote:Unless you are from some country(and I don't know of any off the top of my head) from which it is not possible to get a US visa, it will not be a problem to go to law school. The problem will come with staying AFTER law school. Don't assume you will be able to do it. If you get a job here, the company can attempt to sponsor you for a visa, but it is a lottery and there are many more applicants for H1B visas than they give out each year, and it's getting harder as time goes on. So be prepared to either marry, or leave after graduation(on an F1 you get 12 months 'optional practical training' so could work in the US for at least a year, assuming you have not done any paid work during your law school summers).

Depending on you are from, I would think long and hard about whether a US law degree will be of any use in your home country. I'm European, so am lucky enough to have many countries I could potentially go and work in if I can't get a visa out of law school.


Unless you are Canadian, if you are Canadian then you can easily get a TN visa, which you do not need to meet the "Can't find an American to do the job" criteria. And although a TN visa is a temporary visa, you can renew it almost indefinitely, although this is a pain in the ass. Also, the longer you work for a company the easier it will be for you to get an H1B visa, because your employer will be able to claim that you are essential to the company. So it matters where you are from.


That's true, and I believe the rules are also different from Mexico. My mexican roommate had a waaay easier time of getting a visa than I did(or would have had I not given up)

I was under the impression though that Canadian students didn't get an F1 visa, but something else? Or am I wrong?


Canadians get the same visas for study purposes, however, it is often easier for a Canadian to acquire said credentials. The big difference comes when that Canadian (or Mexican) student decides he/she wants to work in the US. There are provisions provided under NAFTA that all but guarantee that professionals (as defined in NAFTA) can work in any of the three countries for a period of one year, covered under the TN visas. These are renewable, but are not meant to be used on a permanent basis.

User avatar
The Kid
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: international student at a disadvantage?

Postby The Kid » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:25 pm

sophie316 wrote:Depending on you are from, I would think long and hard about whether a US law degree will be of any use in your home country. I'm European, so am lucky enough to have many countries I could potentially go and work in if I can't get a visa out of law school.


Hi, I'm from Portugal. Which European countries can a US-Law School graduate work in?

User avatar
NewHere
Posts: 413
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:19 pm

Re: international student at a disadvantage?

Postby NewHere » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:13 pm

Which European countries can a US-Law School graduate work in?


In what profession?

As a US lawyer (advising about US law): any European country.
As a local lawyer (advising about local law): no European country, unless you enter a local law school to study to be a Portuguese/German/French/... lawyer.
As something else that doesn't require a law degree (legal translator, mediator, negotiator): the normal rules apply (whatever they are for the country).

If you want to practice the law of the European country, you may be able to get the degree faster than someone without a US law degree (you may be able to get some credit for law learned in the US). But just as a French lawyer cannot come to the US and practice US law without studying it first (and passing the bar), a US lawyer cannot go to France and practice French law without further study.

England may be a bit of an exception, since it is a common-law country. (I don't know the details for England. I do know that a LOT of US firms have US lawyers in UK offices. But they generally practice US law.)

User avatar
jamaicanjynx
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:24 am

Re: international student at a disadvantage?

Postby jamaicanjynx » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:58 pm

Helpful thread : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93709

User avatar
The Kid
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: international student at a disadvantage?

Postby The Kid » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:33 am

jamaicanjynx wrote:Helpful thread : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93709


I already knew the thread, Jamaican, and had read most of the topics. Very helpful. Now, if you don't mind if I ask, I would like to know where you are in the process. Studying yet, applied, 1L... ?

User avatar
jamaicanjynx
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:24 am

Re: international student at a disadvantage?

Postby jamaicanjynx » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:41 pm

The Kid wrote:
jamaicanjynx wrote:Helpful thread : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93709


I already knew the thread, Jamaican, and had read most of the topics. Very helpful. Now, if you don't mind if I ask, I would like to know where you are in the process. Studying yet, applied, 1L... ?


1L, jobhunting for this summer. hoping to get a grant for a public interest job.

User avatar
The Kid
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:33 pm

Re: international student at a disadvantage?

Postby The Kid » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:02 pm

How was your application cycle? Any boost / disadvantage?

cassieyuc
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: international student at a disadvantage?

Postby cassieyuc » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:15 pm

sophie316 wrote:Unless you are from some country(and I don't know of any off the top of my head) from which it is not possible to get a US visa, it will not be a problem to go to law school. The problem will come with staying AFTER law school. Don't assume you will be able to do it. If you get a job here, the company can attempt to sponsor you for a visa, but it is a lottery and there are many more applicants for H1B visas than they give out each year, and it's getting harder as time goes on. So be prepared to either marry, or leave after graduation(on an F1 you get 12 months 'optional practical training' so could work in the US for at least a year, assuming you have not done any paid work during your law school summers).

Depending on you are from, I would think long and hard about whether a US law degree will be of any use in your home country. I'm European, so am lucky enough to have many countries I could potentially go and work in if I can't get a visa out of law school.


yet, last year H1-B cap hasn't been used up until this year, that means the economy is so bad that U.S. Company are relucant to hire foreign employee.

User avatar
jamaicanjynx
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:24 am

Re: international student at a disadvantage?

Postby jamaicanjynx » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:24 am

The Kid wrote:How was your application cycle? Any boost / disadvantage?



As expected based on my LSAT, GPA & softs. Def. no disadvantage as far as I can tell and I got into many T-25 schools w /$

User avatar
NewHere
Posts: 413
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:19 pm

Re: international student at a disadvantage?

Postby NewHere » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:35 am

yet, last year H1-B cap hasn't been used up until this year, that means the economy is so bad that U.S. Company are relucant to hire foreign employee.


That's part of the reason, yes. Another part is that banks, who have traditionally been the main consumers of H1B visas for new employees, had to meet more stringent requirements to hire foreign workers under TARP. When the banks stopped bringing non-citizens to the US, there was suddenly an oversupply of H1B visas.

User avatar
TheLuckyOne
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:00 pm

Re: international student at a disadvantage?

Postby TheLuckyOne » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:56 am

rajesh88 wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
rajesh88 wrote:
quiksliver wrote:just wondering if non us applicants are at any disadvtange applying to t-14 schools, getting jobs etc.

btw if i do get into a t-14 i plan on staying


My cousin asked me this recently... how are you going to get an F-1 visa for a program of study for law school? That shows ridiculous levels of immigrant intent.


You will get the visa, regardless of what he says. Firstly, you do not know where he is from and therefore do not know how easy/difficult it is for him to obtain the visa. Secondly, it is Harvard's statement that they want international students and they want them to take the knowledge they have aquired back to their home countries. Thirdly, US law schools have ridiculously high placement statistics around the world. American law schools are recognized for their rigorous programs and high quality graduates.


It's hard to get a visa from India for law school - very hard - I know this for a fact.. you need to show assets in India, or get into Harvard.. its easy to get a visa for engineering...


Why do you need to show assets? Do you need to have assets essentially covering your loan? Wow, that's weird. I was under impression that once you into top20 school, visa should be a piece of cake.

User avatar
jamaicanjynx
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:24 am

Re: international student at a disadvantage?

Postby jamaicanjynx » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:21 pm

TheLuckyOne wrote:
Why do you need to show assets? Do you need to have assets essentially covering your loan? Wow, that's weird. I was under impression that once you into top20 school, visa should be a piece of cake.
[/quote][/quote][/quote]

So you can prove you have money in, and ties to your home country. The assumption is that if you have assets there, you will be less likely to attempt to become a US citizen. If you don't have enough money then you are more prone to become a burden to the US and attempt to stay here illegally.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], charmonster, judgepayne and 7 guests