My first letter and it's a rejection

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pau8304
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:58 pm

My first letter and it's a rejection

Postby pau8304 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:45 pm

:( ok. i just wanted to share that i got my first two letters from my top 2 schools and both were rejection letters.. so saaaad.
they were U of Washington and Cardozo. i'm still waiting on 8 schools.
so i have been thinking, what should i do if i dont get in any school? Suggestions please to be a more attractive applicant in the next cycle? i've come up with these options: 1.work in a law firm, 2. teach english abroad, or 3. get a masters ? and of course trying to get a better lsat score that's a given.

User avatar
Ken
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:22 am

Tips for a successful application cycle

Postby Ken » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:59 am

Do not get discouraged yet. However, one of the biggest items you that can help you next year (beyond improving your LSAT) is to get your applications in early, ideally in mid October. My friend did this and he got in to every law school at which he applied, including Yale, Harvard and Stanford. While his credentials were quite strong, I think getting his applications in early were what helped him out for he was at the median for Yale and Harvard.

Working for a law firm looks good on the resume, so that is the best option of the 3 you suggested to boost your success rate. However, you should enjoy life and travel while you can. So once you get in to the law school you want (which you will likely know by December if you apply by October), then you can quit the firm and teach English and travel the world.

Best of luck on your other applications!

pau8304
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:58 pm

Postby pau8304 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:09 am

Thank you Ken! You consistently give good advice.. ( i read almost all your posts; they are addictive!) I dont know what you do but I appreciate the time you take here.
you're right I did apply late in the cycle, and I am at the median of some schools I want to go.
But I read this book yesterday, one of those "how to get into law school" (sorry i forgot the author) and she discouraged working in a law firm in the transition period before applying because you wouldnt do any meaningful work, and it would be falling short on what you really want to do. What do you think about that?

nods239
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:35 pm

Postby nods239 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:03 pm

Consider doing Teach for America. I wish I had at least considered this. It would look better on an app than any work in a law firm, and you are paid a salary. Note: It's a 2 year committment.

pau8304
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:58 pm

Postby pau8304 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:20 pm

thanks nod for your suggestion.
I would have loved to do something like peacecorps but im not citizen. I think i could apply now because i've been here 5 years, but by the time i get all the papers... anyways. i will look into teach for america.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: My first letter and it's a rejection

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:46 pm

pau8304 wrote::( ok. i just wanted to share that i got my first two letters from my top 2 schools and both were rejection letters.. so saaaad.
they were U of Washington and Cardozo. i'm still waiting on 8 schools.
so i have been thinking, what should i do if i dont get in any school? Suggestions please to be a more attractive applicant in the next cycle? i've come up with these options: 1.work in a law firm, 2. teach english abroad, or 3. get a masters ? and of course trying to get a better lsat score that's a given.

It's easy to be disheartened but I'd wait on this 8 remaining apps before I give up.

User avatar
nematoad
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:06 pm

Re: My first letter and it's a rejection

Postby nematoad » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:48 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
pau8304 wrote::( ok. i just wanted to share that i got my first two letters from my top 2 schools and both were rejection letters.. so saaaad.
they were U of Washington and Cardozo. i'm still waiting on 8 schools.
so i have been thinking, what should i do if i dont get in any school? Suggestions please to be a more attractive applicant in the next cycle? i've come up with these options: 1.work in a law firm, 2. teach english abroad, or 3. get a masters ? and of course trying to get a better lsat score that's a given.

It's easy to be disheartened but I'd wait on this 8 remaining apps before I give up.

lol. on a side note, kohinoor are you perrrrsssssiaaaaaan? like the cat? meow.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: My first letter and it's a rejection

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:50 pm

nematoad wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
pau8304 wrote::( ok. i just wanted to share that i got my first two letters from my top 2 schools and both were rejection letters.. so saaaad.
they were U of Washington and Cardozo. i'm still waiting on 8 schools.
so i have been thinking, what should i do if i dont get in any school? Suggestions please to be a more attractive applicant in the next cycle? i've come up with these options: 1.work in a law firm, 2. teach english abroad, or 3. get a masters ? and of course trying to get a better lsat score that's a given.

It's easy to be disheartened but I'd wait on this 8 remaining apps before I give up.

lol. on a side note, kohinoor are you perrrrsssssiaaaaaan? like the cat? meow.

Nope. I merely possess a love of precious things.

User avatar
nematoad
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:06 pm

Re: My first letter and it's a rejection

Postby nematoad » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:51 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
nematoad wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
pau8304 wrote::( ok. i just wanted to share that i got my first two letters from my top 2 schools and both were rejection letters.. so saaaad.
they were U of Washington and Cardozo. i'm still waiting on 8 schools.
so i have been thinking, what should i do if i dont get in any school? Suggestions please to be a more attractive applicant in the next cycle? i've come up with these options: 1.work in a law firm, 2. teach english abroad, or 3. get a masters ? and of course trying to get a better lsat score that's a given.

It's easy to be disheartened but I'd wait on this 8 remaining apps before I give up.

lol. on a side note, kohinoor are you perrrrsssssiaaaaaan? like the cat? meow.

Nope. I merely possess a love of precious things.


/stolen things/expensive things. :lol:

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: My first letter and it's a rejection

Postby romothesavior » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:53 pm

Lovely schtick Kohinoor. :lol: Will be interested to see who bites.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: My first letter and it's a rejection

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:55 pm

romothesavior wrote:Lovely schtick Kohinoor. :lol: Will be interested to see who bites.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=277

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: My first letter and it's a rejection

Postby JJDancer » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:13 pm

lol.

User avatar
Sentry
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: My first letter and it's a rejection

Postby Sentry » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:14 pm

romothesavior wrote:Lovely schtick Kohinoor. :lol: Will be interested to see who bites.

Ken's presence is a dead giveaway.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: My first letter and it's a rejection

Postby romothesavior » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:26 pm

Sentry wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Lovely schtick Kohinoor. :lol: Will be interested to see who bites.

Ken's presence is a dead giveaway.


Yep, that was the first thing that tipped me off as well.

User avatar
Marionberry
Posts: 1302
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Re: My first letter and it's a rejection

Postby Marionberry » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:40 pm

Ken has made some posts recently, though not nearly as many as he used to.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger, Orion311 and 5 guests