Which is the best option for me? Please read Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
makarinivanalex

New

Which is the best option for me? Please read

Post by makarinivanalex » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:29 pm

I am a student in my junior year at one of England's most prestigious and academic schools with (usually) around 70-80 graduates going to Oxford/Cambridge each year, plus a fair share going to Ivy League schools. Recently these numbers have fallen considerably due to a crackdown on classism and admissions from the big private public schools such as my one in England as colleges want to be more inclusive and cease only picking students from old private boarding schools like mine.

Although I go to a school like this, I am not applying to Oxbridge because my GCSE's (10 subjects I had exams in during sophomore year) were mediocre for my school's standard and Oxbridge tend to look more into those exams unlike other universities. I'm now doing A levels, and so far it's going good. I'm being tracked AAAA, but my actual 'predicted grades' (which are the ones that matter and the ones which I apply with) are to be increased, so I'm aiming for A*A*AA or A*A*A*A. FYI these grades are generally pretty good for nearly all undergrad law degree requirements. Unfortunately I cannot afford college in the US as it is super pricey for international kids and my parents are against that but I'm also not gonna qualify for financial aid either, meaning I'm kinda stuck.

Thus I have a couple options.

1. Try to do law in the UK (UCL, KCL, Edinburgh, LSE, Bristol, etc). I know that UCL is a safe option when it comes to getting employed after, but I also need to get accepted in which I'm not entirely confident about, IDK.

2. Do law in Canada where it's significantly cheaper than in the US (I am only going to apply to McGill and their grade requirements are super generous so I have a pretty good chance of getting in without too much thought. Only issue is, I don't know if I would even be employed after that. I don't wanna work in Canada. So I don't know if any NY firms would take me although a McGill law degree is technically valid in the state of New York).

3. Do something vague and slightly different like global law at Bocconi in Milan or something similar in another European university.

I'd like to know what the best option is for me if I want to go into BigLaw after university and work in the city. London, New York, etc.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: Which is the best option for me? Please read

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:42 am

makarinivanalex wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:29 pm
I don't wanna work in Canada.
Then I wouldn't go to Canada except in something internationally portable/in-demand (STEM). The BCL at McGill is mainly useful for practicing in Quebec. Similarly idk how a random European program is going to advance your goals.

If you really want to work U.S. biglaw, the gold standard is a JD degree from a top-14 law school, and it almost doesn't matter what you do as an undergraduate (what matters is getting the best marks possible and avoiding too much debt).

In other words you probably should either (1) do the best UK-based law degree you can or (2) get the most affordable degree you can, in something marketable like STEM or finance, and then take a second look at law as a graduate degree later on.

crazywafflez

Silver

Post by crazywafflez » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:48 pm

I agree with Airbender. I actually attended a decent UK school myself.

In your shoes, I'd pursue the LLB (or some variation thereof) at LSE, KCL, UCL, Durham or Edinburgh. If you decide you want to go to the US after, you'll be able to do a JD program anyways. Or you can just stay in the UK and pursue becoming a solicitor or barrister.

Best of luck.

nealric

Post by nealric » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:53 am

Keep in mind that law is a graduate degree in the U.S. and Canada. Nothing is stopping you from going to university in the UK and then applying to law school in the U.S. if you are unsatisfied with the career outcome. However, a U.S. law school will usually be even more expensive than a U.S. undergraduate institution.

You also have to consider that you come in with a recruiting disadvantage as a non-U.S. citizen because any employer will have to sponsor a visa for you. Large firms often do, but it adds uncertainty to the hiring process and visa issues have derailed biglaw careers before. Some international firms will recruit from top U.S. law schools for London-based positions, but it will be a small fraction of recruiting from a school like UCL.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”