Will ANY ABA Approved Law School Accept me? (1.67 CAS GPA and 178 LSAT) Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Kodzuken

New

Will ANY ABA Approved Law School Accept me? (1.67 CAS GPA and 178 LSAT)

Post by Kodzuken » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:44 pm

I graduated from UC Berkeley about 5 years ago with a cumulative GPA of 2.54. I was really struggling back then and did all I could to try to graduate. I took P/NP for the classes I was struggling in so as to not ruin my GPA in order to receive my diploma. However, I'm applying for law schools now and I realize that there is such thing as a CAS GPA which is calculated differently from how my college GPA was calculated. After taking into account of all the NPs and incompletes I received, my GPA came down to a 1.67. I recently received a 178 on my LSAT because I studied really hard for it knowing that my GPA is super low. Given my situation, is there ANY ABA-Approved law school that would possibly accept me? I was really struggling in my early 20s and I didn't have a goal in life. But now I've finally decided on what I'm gonna do with my life, so I'd like to know, is it possible to turn my life around and go to a law school and become a lawyer?

talons2250

Bronze

Re: Will ANY ABA Approved Law School Accept me? (1.67 CAS GPA and 178 LSAT)

Post by talons2250 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:03 am

It's possible that a law school will accept you but it would probably be a school that will give you few to no employment options and just take your money.

Is it possible for you to redo undergrad? See if you can figure out how to re-do it cheaply and in 3 years instead of 4. I've heard of people doing this in situations like yours.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:36 am

You cannot "redo" undergrad for lsac purposes. The calculation only includes grades that were done before you got your bachelor's.

OP, all you can do is fine tune every other part of your application, have a GPA addendum, and apply broadly.

charlesives95

New

Post by charlesives95 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:22 am

Doesn't Washington University in St. Louis permit you to do a redacted-GPA application? If I were in your shoes, I'd do that.

looseleaf

New

Post by looseleaf » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:25 pm

Seconding WUSTL as the play here. Their entire strategy revolves around taking applicants who boost one median or the other; thus, you just have to serve one of their medians and they will more than likely throw you scholarship money.

Anecdotally, I know a guy who got a half ride at WUSTL off of a 2.low GPA and a 180 LSAT. He's doing alright now. I'd normally also throw UF-Levin into the mix as they're also splitter-friendly and generous with scholarship, but IDK how you feel about practicing in Florida.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:47 pm

That has to be one of the most epic splitter GPA's I've ever heard of.

I'd be shocked if no ABA approved school lets you in given that LSAT. The WUSTL idea is a good one, but I understand Northwestern can also be splitter friendly.

Apply widely as splitters can have unpredictable cycles. Write a good addendum for that GPA. If it was due to a health or family issue it could be compelling enough for some good schools to let it slide.

Access

New

Post by Access » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:41 pm

Definitely apply broadly and see what happens. I'd be prepared with a better narrative than "I was a mess"; you have to demonstrate that you're no longer a mess. You're smart enough to do well, but there's going to be concern that you'll have a repeat of your undergrad behavior. Have you held a job in the past 5 years? Anything to demonstrate maturity can help. You want a narrative that explains why this happened and why it won't happen again.

Cantabridgian

New

Post by Cantabridgian » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:51 pm

The days of 95% of law school graduates being K-JD are long over. Law schools are very receptive to applicants who have real world experience before applying. That would be you. And with your real world experience you grew up, turned yourself around and got an exceptional LSAT score.

Were I in your shoes (I was a K-JD from the 1950-1970s however) I would apply to as many of the T-14 as you can afford, explain your life, and sit back and wait for some acceptances. Just to be safe, apply to other law schools as well.

After you start getting responses to your applications, let us know how you did.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”