167/3.85, NYU undergrad--Should I ED or How? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DamienLiu

New

167/3.85, NYU undergrad--Should I ED or How?

Post by DamienLiu » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:20 pm

Hey guys :D
I'm a double major in philosophy and media—my soft sucks, close to nothing. 167 was my first take, and that's all. I want a city life, preferably in NY or Chicago. I plan to lawyer in my home country China, thus big law in the US is the best way to leverage my career path. What do you think of my chances of getting into a t14 and staying in NYC or Chicago? How should I plan out my ED?
Thank you so much! :D

talons2250

Bronze

Re: 167/3.85, NYU undergrad--Should I ED or How?

Post by talons2250 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:39 pm

Your chances are currently not that good but you might sneak into a lower T14 (like Northwestern, which is in one of your preferred cities) if you apply broadly. If you want a shot at UChicago, CLS, or NYU (and if you want to increase your chances at Northwestern), then you should take the LSAT again (and devote significant time to studying beforehand).

nealric

Post by nealric » Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:59 am

DamienLiu wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:20 pm
I'm a double major in philosophy and media—my soft sucks, close to nothing. 167 was my first take, and that's all. I want a city life, preferably in NY or Chicago. I plan to lawyer in my home country China, thus big law in the US is the best way to leverage my career path. What do you think of my chances of getting into a t14 and staying in NYC or Chicago? How should I plan out my ED?
If 167 is your first take, try again (after some good hard studying). Just a few more points could make a dramatic difference in your prospects. The upper end of the LSAT scale is such that a little goes a long way. If you are in the 150s, it take a dramatic difference in your performance to meaningfully change your score and a point or two typically won't change your admissions prospects much. But on the higher end, each point is usually a single question yet the difference an extra point or two can make is huge. A 3.9/170 will probably end up in a lower T14, while a 3.9/175 has a strong chance at Harvard- all over 5 questions. That's just the nature of the bell curve.

DamienLiu

New

Post by DamienLiu » Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:39 pm

talons2250 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:39 pm
Your chances are currently not that good but you might sneak into a lower T14 (like Northwestern, which is in one of your preferred cities) if you apply broadly. If you want a shot at UChicago, CLS, or NYU (and if you want to increase your chances at Northwestern), then you should take the LSAT again (and devote significant time to studying beforehand).
Thanks! :D

DamienLiu

New

Post by DamienLiu » Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:40 pm

nealric wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:59 am
DamienLiu wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:20 pm
If 167 is your first take, try again (after some good hard studying). Just a few more points could make a dramatic difference in your prospects. The upper end of the LSAT scale is such that a little goes a long way. If you are in the 150s, it take a dramatic difference in your performance to meaningfully change your score and a point or two typically won't change your admissions prospects much. But on the higher end, each point is usually a single question yet the difference an extra point or two can make is huge. A 3.9/170 will probably end up in a lower T14, while a 3.9/175 has a strong chance at Harvard- all over 5 questions. That's just the nature of the bell curve.
Thanks a lot! Seems like the problem here is the LSAT. Glad I still have a chance to improve it

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”