A non-traditional, traditional applicant Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
LegallyUnProficient

New

A non-traditional, traditional applicant

Post by LegallyUnProficient » Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:51 pm

Where to start....
I dropped out of high school in 2004. Got a GED in 2005. Started and stopped community college in 2007. Join the Army, got med discharged by 2008. Early separation, no benefits. Worked full-time while I went to community college on and off between 2010-2013 wracking up only C's, D's, and F's. Worked in different office jobs with growing responsibility. Matured. Got married in 01/2020. Retuned to school Summer 2020. First born 10/2020. Second child born 05/2023. I've stacked a crazy number of classes, 21-26 units during full semesters and 15-18 each summer. I will complete my degree this fall. All while working full-time and managing my department and team. Work life is very successful and fruitful. Wife and family are incredibly supportive. Since returning I mainly get A's and B's, an occasional C slips in with science based classes but with my grades from 10 years ago LSAC gpa sits at 2.66. I'm taking the LSAT is October, been studying for a month, practice test have grown from 158 to 166 and feel I can keep studying able be able to score high 160's low to 170's on the actual test. How can I put my best foot forward to show law schools I am committed and determined to go to law school and become an outstanding attorney in the community?

tl;dr: was immature most of my life, graduating college in my 30's after being on and off school for 13 years with 2.66 gpa and would like to attend a decent law school. What can I do?

crazywafflez

Silver

Re: A non-traditional, traditional applicant

Post by crazywafflez » Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:43 pm

Write a GPA addendum explaining this. Tell them you messed up, but through the military, and then through marriage and work, you matured. You can then talk about your better grades from 2020, or whenever, and then say how you believe you'd make a sterling attorney and that your more recent work, rather than the grades from a decade ago, are a better determinant of your future success in law school and the legal field. Keep killing that LSAT and best of luck!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”