Alabama vs Cornell undergrad

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Marns

New

Alabama vs Cornell undergrad

Postby Marns » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:53 pm

I’m a current high school senior applying to colleges. I have a full in-state acedemic scholarship to the University of Alabama. However, I will also be applying to Cornell, Dartmouth, UVA, and a few other top schools. Based on my academic profile, I’m not concerned that I will be denied from all of these colleges. My real question is if it worth my money to attend one of these prestigious institutions if it means draining my entire college fund. I would like to go to a top law school eventually, and am wondering if going to Alabama would put me at a disadvantage (I know that it has a pretty good law school on campus). Also, I am interested in hearing from anyone familiar with the quality of Alabama’s law school matriculation. All comments are appreciated. Thanks

QContinuum

Re: Alabama vs Cornell undergrad

Postby QContinuum » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:18 pm

Undergrad school prestige may give you a slight boost around the edges when it comes time to apply to law school, but the effect (if any) is likely to be small. Your undergraduate GPA and your LSAT score will be vastly more important than college prestige (e.g., totally making up numbers, but an applicant from Dartmouth with the exact same GPA/LSAT/softs as an applicant from Alabama might have the edge, but the applicant from Alabama would probably win if the Alabamian had a GPA higher by as little as 0.1 or an LSAT higher by as little as a point or two). In your shoes I'd go to Alabama - huge difference between attending college tuition-free and paying >$200k tuition to attend Dartmouth.

I also think that, while it's commendable you're thinking about this early, it's a bit too early to commit yourself to a narrow focus on pursuing law school. College is (and should be) a place for exploration and discovery. You may very well find that your interests lie more toward medicine, or finance, or engineering, or the arts, instead of the law. Even after graduation, it's increasingly common (and even preferable) for students to take a gap year or two to get some real-world WE before diving into law school. Don't limit yourself by committing to pursuing a J.D. from day one of freshman orientation. College may very likely surprise you.

(Incidentally, that might be one factor in favor of attending a school like Dartmouth - it'll likely open many more non-legal doors for you than a degree from Alabama. Management consulting, for example, is a common path for Ivy League graduates, but not so much from Alabama.)

HenryHankPalmer

Bronze

Postby HenryHankPalmer » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:51 am

How many SEC championships has Dartmouth won?

rwhyAn

Bronze

Postby rwhyAn » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:19 am

I’ve always tried to avoid debt like the plague. I went to a cheap state undergrad, and I went to law school for free at my state flagship university, a second tier school. I can tell you one thing—it’s an amazing feeling not having any debt. A 3.8 from UA would be better for law school admissions than a 3.7 from an Ivy. An ivy would probably be more advantageous if you weren’t looking at Law School, but then again, the debt might be crippling. I’d probably say Roll Tide in your situation.

blackmamba8

Bronze

Postby blackmamba8 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:41 pm

Bro, go to Alabama, have the time of your life, and save the college fund for law school. School prestige doesn't matter for law school applications. Going to Alabama won't hinder you when you're applying to schools. Just focus on getting a high GPA and LSAT score.

sandyeggo

New

Postby sandyeggo » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:25 pm

I went to Alabama undergrad (over several top 10 universities) and not only did I love it but I graduated debt free and was accepted to several T10 law schools with generous scholarships. Girls in my sorority are now at Yale and Stanford law too. Law schools DGAF were you went as long as you have a high GPA and LSAT that will make them look good. Save your college fund.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum?