JD-PhD in African-American Studies?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bluestarrynight96

New

JD-PhD in African-American Studies?

Postby bluestarrynight96 » Thu May 24, 2018 4:05 pm

Hello everyone, I'm new to TLS so my bad if this has been asked already (don't think it has)

Background info about me: AA Female at a "public ivy" 3.7 GPA, in the honors college, liberal arts major. I have substantial work experience, a learning disability and a low-income background. I'm planning to take the LSAT this September. I took a proctored practice exam that my school offered a few months ago and got a 162 cold...not spectacular but I'm hoping to get it up to a 168 or higher.

My question: Lately I've been thinking about applying for a JD-PhD in African-American studies. Does anyone here have experience with that combination of degrees or know someone who does? I'm interested in studying Black women & criminality, Black political thought, and how critical race theory and postcolonial theory can be applied to international law. Ideally I would want to do research and/or teach in both fields and be on tenure track in at least one of them...and during summers I would like to do pro bono work in inner-city communities, maybe take a team of students with me too. So long story short I know what degrees I need for this and I know what I want career-wise, but I guess I'm wondering how to get from point A to point B? Do I have to get substantial litigation experience before I can join legal academia or should I focus more on research and publishing? Is a clerkship a good idea? Are the career prospects for this niche even worth all the trouble? Any guidance or insight on the path I should take would be helpful.

sparkytrainer

Silver

Re: JD-PhD in African-American Studies?

Postby sparkytrainer » Thu May 24, 2018 4:39 pm

Number 1 rule to get legal academia: go to Yale.

Number 2 rule to get legal academia: go to Yale.

Number 3 rule to get legal academia: go to Yale, if not, go to Harvard or Stanford.

Further, if you want a PhD of this type (I know nothing about it), most legal academics do their PhDs separately from their JDs. I might suggest you get your PhD first because it isn't a cost sink. Go attempt to get into the relevant schools for that PhD (I have no idea where they are offered in this case) and you aren't risking a lot of money. Sure time and some expense, but PhD's generally get their tuition covered and a stipend. Whereas a law degree is costly and it doesn't sound like you actually want to be a lawyer. Law school doesn't train you to be an academic, it trains you to work as a lawyer. If you want training as an academic, get your PhD.

Honest advice: go try to get your PhD first. Less risky cost wise. Then after 6-7 years of that, if you feel that a JD is still necessary, then go do that. Preferably Yale. Which your LSAT isn't going to cut at the moment, but its not even an actual score yet.

Vegas bound

New

Postby Vegas bound » Sun May 27, 2018 1:17 pm

You could do a jd/ma in aas in 3 years. I don't know how tied you are to getting the phd in aas though. You will still be a doctor with the jd and most likely can reach your career goals on with the jd/ma combo.

nixy

Bronze

Postby nixy » Sun May 27, 2018 2:18 pm

If the goal is academia, no, an MA won't cut it.

OP, academia is a tough tough goal, but if you want to go that route, getting the PhD will help. And you should focus much more on research and publishing than litigation experience - in fact, if you practice for too long you will make it more difficult to get an academic job as you won't look sufficiently scholarly. A clerkship is a good idea in that clerkships tend to correlate with high grades/writing ability, which are key for academia. The career prospects are going to be tough, though - there just aren't a lot of academic jobs compared to the number of people who want them.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�