Why essay worth it? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
steadfastness11

New

Why essay worth it?

Post by steadfastness11 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:38 am

I got a 172 on the December LSAT ( from 168 ). 168nwas a huge disappointment and I gave up on going to U of Chi. Now that I met their 75th LSAt percentile, I am planning to give it a shot cuz University of Chicago has always been my dream school.( plus my family lives in Illinois) Although I am an American National, I don’t have a reportable GPA since I graduated from a foreign institution. My GPA in my undergraduate is 4.03 and I am amongst the top10% of my graduating class so I was rated as “Superior”. I know that Chicago likes those with high GPA and thus my lack of reportable GPA will probably hurt my chances for U of Chicago. To boost my chance. would it be worth writing a Why Chicago essay? I haven’t encountered anyone who wrote a Why essay for HYSCC so I was worried that writing unasked Why essay would be redundant. If I do write one, I was planning to write their clinics and Law and economics programs. Do you think I should write a Why essay? thanks in advance:)

cavalier1138

Re: Why essay worth it?

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:59 am

"Why [X]" essays are generally considered to be helpful as ways to prevent YP, not as a boost to the application. You shouldn't need one for Chicago.

driggsbedford

New

Re: Why essay worth it?

Post by driggsbedford » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:31 am

The “why” is redundant. Chicago is a top 4 law school. They know why. I believe Why essays are for schools that you’ve outperformed but want to go to anyway.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”