Undergraduate Research vs Internship

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Geoff

Undergraduate Research vs Internship

Postby Geoff » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:56 pm

Hey so for my second letter of recommendation I was considering doing research or an internship.

I was accepted into Honors in The Major research at my uni which is just about the most prestigious research program here for undergrads. This would require a significant amount more time and work than a pre-law internship.

I am wondering how strongly would either program (top undergrad research vs prelaw internship) help my chances at getting into a top (T14 but HYS pref) Law School?

Rigo

Re: Undergraduate Research vs Internship

Postby Rigo » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:06 pm

Neither will help you over the other or give you a boost generally. Do whichever one you want.

Platopus

Postby Platopus » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:49 pm

Neither will help in any meaningful way, but the pre-law internship might give you some exposure to the field, which is valuable for figuring out if this is really a career path you want to pursue.

blueapple

Postby blueapple » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:54 am

Agree with the others that neither will help your application more than the other, but you did mention using your supervisor for whichever you choose as your second recommender. For this, the research would be better. If you're still in school or recently out of school, you should have two academic LORs.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”