BIGLAW vs Consulting

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Re: BIGLAW vs Consulting

Postby zeezoo » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:31 pm

what do you expect on a message board that has an entire section for "What are my chances?" :)

Postby kurama20 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:44 pm

All I want to know is which of the two is more lucrative.....

Postby zeezoo » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:48 pm

the better question to ask is which field is best suited to you staying in the field for 10+ years, because that is where the big payouts are. focusing on which is more lucrative is stupid. trading is more lucrative than ibanking, but not many people are suited to be top traders. different jobs have different skillsets. pick the field you think you can make partner/MD/director/whatever in.

Postby Hitachi » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:04 pm

philo-sophia wrote: My honest, non-exagerated guess is that literally 90% of our analysts came from HYP, Penn, Dartmouth and Williams.

Let's look at the first 10 alphabetical associates at Jenner DC:
1. · Harvard Law School, JD, 2004, magna cum laude; Articles Editor, Harvard Law Review
· Georgetown University, MA, 1997
· Georgetown University, BA, 1995, magna cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa
2. · Columbia University School of Law, J.D., 2002, Kent Scholar ; Wilfred Feinberg Prize in Federal Courts; Articles Editor, Columbia Law Review
· Yale University, B.A., 1999, summa cum laude; Fellow's Prize; Phi Beta Kappa
3. · University of Virginia School of Law, J.D., 2005, Managing Editor, Virginia Law Review; Order of the Coif; Hardy Cross Dillard Scholar; James C. Slaughter Honor Award
· Duke University, B.A., 1997, summa cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa
4. · Harvard Law School, J.D., 2005, cum laude; Frank Knox Fellowship for 2005-2006
· Yale University, B.A. with distinction, 2001, summa cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa
5. · Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 2003, magna cum laude; Order of the Coif; Executive Editor, American Criminal Law Review
· Georgetown University, B.A., 2000
6. · Harvard Law School, J.D., 2006, magna cum laude
· Yale College, B.A., 2003, cum laude, with distinction
7. · Yale Law School, J.D., 2007
· Oxford University (Balliol College), M.Sc., 2002, with distinction
· London School of Economics and Political Science, M.Sc., 2001, with distinction
· University of Tulsa, B.A., 1999, summa cum laude
8. · Stanford Law School, J.D., 2007, Stanford Public Interest Law Fellow; Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowship for New Americans; Lisa M. Schnitzer Scholarship
· The London School of Economics, Masters of Science (MSc) in Gender & International Development, 2003, LSE Merit Scholarship
· Occidental College, A.B., 1997, Harry S. Truman Scholarship; Thomas J. Watson Fellowship; Richter Fellowship; Rotary Scholarship; Ford Foundation Research Fellowship; Dean’s Scholarship; Los Angeles Philanthropic Foundation Scholarship
9. · Harvard Law School, J.D., 2005, magna cum laude; Notes Editor, Harvard Law Review
· Harvard College, A.B., 2001, cum laude
10. · Harvard Law School, J.D., 2005, cum laude; Articles Editor, Harvard Journal on Legislation; Derek Bok Teaching Fellow Excellence Award
· Brown University, B.A., 2000, magna cum laude; Phi Beta Kappa, Lamport Prize for Best Thesis in International Understanding; Joslin Award for Outstanding Leadership

5 Harvard Law School (3 MCL, 2 CL), 1 Columbia (Kent Scholar = top 8%),1 Yale Law School, 1 Stanford Law School, 1 UVA (Coif, managing editor of LR), 1 Georgetown (MCL, Coif).

All those law schools have smarter students on average than any UG, and these people were at the very top.

They don't even select based on UG, but the UGs are pretty solid too:
3 Yale (2 SCL, 1 CL), 2 Georgetown (1 MCL), 1 Harvard (CL), 1 Duke (SCL), 1 Brown (MCL) , Occidental (Truman Scholarship), University of Tulsa (SCL).

So on the one hand, the lawyers have 3 more years of education and have proved themselves to be the top students in a more selective school with a far more rigorous, standardized curriculum, while on the other hand the consultants got good grades at Williams by beating out the athletes and legacies, and prepped well for a gimmicky interview (or else had good connections).

Having a low acceptance rate doesn't help if you don't have enough information to differentiate the true top students and even less if the top students aren't applying, but instead getting Ph.Ds, M.D.s and J.D.s.

Whatever position consultants have after they get a graduate degree might be a fairer comparison (although MBAs are pretty BS).

Postby mrbuckfutter » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 pm

Holy shit @ Chicago Office:

Wendy Fritz

· Boston University School of Law, J.D., 2003, magna cum laude; Note Editor, Public Interest Law Journal; Member, Albers Moot Court Team; National Moot Court Regional Finalist
· University of Chicago, B.A., 1994, Distinguished Military Graduate

Prior Employment:
· U.S. Army, Military Intelligence (Captain, 1994-1999)

She must have been the female master chief, or cortana.

Postby prettypithy » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:32 pm

Philo, how old are you? Where did you find the time to form all of these elite experiences? I mean, Bravo but sheesh. Do you sleep?

Postby Corsair » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:07 am

Postby wen5000 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:44 am

philo-sophia wrote:i banking at Goldman is nowhere near as prestigious as consulting at McKinsey. (I didn't work for McKinsey...or Bain or BCG). I know a number of UNC kids who ended up at Goldman. They would NEVER have even gotten an interview at McKinsey. Every year, the banks hire a LOT of analysts. Not so in consulting. Incoming classes are very small.

Might this also have to do with employee turn over because i-bankers burn out after being forced to do bitchwork 100+ hours/week? It also seems that people actually look for a career in consulting, whereas i-banking is almost always a stepping stone to something else - going to b-school and becoming an executive, starting your own trading firm, starting a fund, private equity, etc. - so people often put in their 2-3 years and move on.

Postby normalien » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:00 am

but i got in through a really untraditional path. Someone i was friends with at the firm was in New York while i was working for a boutique finance firm. He introduced me to some partners while we were out drinking and one thing lead to another.

since when is networking/connections "really untraditional?"

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”