EDIT: Where should I apply with my splitter numbers. 177 lsat 2.56 gpa

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TurboMiguel95

New

EDIT: Where should I apply with my splitter numbers. 177 lsat 2.56 gpa

Postby TurboMiguel95 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:27 pm

Hi. I want to know which schools I should I apply. I have a great LSAT (177) score but some schools have a very hard gpa floor and I have a very low gpa. I like WUSTL, Boulder, Baylor. I don't mind T2 schools as long as they offer good money. I'm also considering UNM for its cheap in state tuition and I've heard they prefer NM students. Here is some info about me.

I had horrible early years in college with F's and W's all over my transcript. My school has an adjusted credit option where students will horrible grades on their first two years can go through a gpa/transcript clean up process in order to be above the 2.5 gpa and graduate. I failed most of my classes and dropped many others and had to go through the adjusted credit option. And after that I still continued to do horrible for another semester. However I have changed my goals and habits and have been getting nearly all A's (3.8+) for my last 4 semesters. Under my school eyes I currently have a 3.3 gpa but I have been calculating my gpa according to the LSAC gpa/transcript system and have a 2.56 which really sucks. Any recommendations on where I should Apply?
Double Major in Government and History
I'm Hispanic, first college generation if that makes any difference.
I have 1 year of experience working with and attorney
Also the classes I failed are not in my majors.
Last edited by TurboMiguel95 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

vonrus1

New

Re: Where should I apply with my splitter numbers.

Postby vonrus1 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:28 pm

What is your LSAT Score?
What are your career goals?
What region of the country do you want to live/work in?

These are the questions almost everyone is going to ask you. No one cares about why your GPA is low. People might care about what kind of Hispanic you are.

TurboMiguel95

New

Postby TurboMiguel95 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:47 am

Totally forgot to put my LSAT score 177 :x :x :x . I would like to work on a big firm (east coast) for a few years then go back to my home city (south western border city) and practice immigration law.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:12 am

TurboMiguel95 wrote:Totally forgot to put my LSAT score 177 :x :x :x . I would like to work on a big firm (east coast) for a few years then go back to my home city (south western border city) and practice immigration law.

Have you talked to an immigration lawyer in your area? I can pretty much guarantee you that none of them came from a big firm on the East Coast, and I doubt they want to hire people who did.

So if your actual goal is to practice immigration law locally, go to the flagship school for your area (I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's ASU for you) on a full scholarship. Even with your GPA, that should be doable.

vonrus1

New

Re: EDIT: Where should I apply with my splitter numbers. 177 lsat 2.56 gpa

Postby vonrus1 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:32 am

I plugged a range with your numbers into mylsn and came up with basically nothing because of how extreme the split is.

Im can't speak on transitioning from East Coast Big Law to West Coast immigration, so I won't.

Being a URM (if you're the right kind of Hispanic. Some are, some aren't) will help that GPA a ton. I'd just throw apps at CCN down in the T14 except maybe Berk and then a few strong regionals that appeal to you in regions you wouldn't mind living. Then it just becomes balancing scholly money with debt. Your numbers are crazy and you're (maybe) a URM. Throw a wide net.

As for immigration, and this is complete speculation, I'd assume UCLA or USC would be a good fit. Great schools in an area with alot of immigration, and I'd imagine getting from those two to Arizona or New Mexico wouldn't be too big a battle. I'm not sure how that would jive with your East Coast dream, maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can speak on that.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:42 am

The vast majority of immigration lawyers are solos, so if that's what you're considering doing, it doesn't matter that much what you did before you start your own practice - you will have to do the same work of establishing yourself that everyone who goes solo has to do. I will say, though, that working for a big law firm in the northeast isn't going to teach you anything about the nitty gritty of practicing immigration law. So if the plan is to save money to move on to your own practice, that's cool, but you will have to figure out how you're actually going to learn the ins and outs of immigration law, to best serve your clients (not saying you can't do that, just that you will have to be proactive about doing so).

realmadrid97

New

Postby realmadrid97 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:55 am

TurboMiguel95

New

Postby TurboMiguel95 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:21 pm

First of all thank you for your replies. I was first afraid my terrible GPA would prevent me from getting accepted into any law school.

I know the idea of first working at a big law firm in the East coast and transition to be a solo immigration lawyer is crazy and unusual. The East coast big job is mostly just to make and save money. I plan on opening my own immigration office in El Paso TX. There's lots of immigration work here. Plan B would be to land a good Law firm job in Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Denver or around that area. They have a much nicer climate, flora and fauna than in El Paso. I'll be completely fine if I don't manage to land a big school. I'll apply broadly to some T13 T20 schools, maybe that 177 will land me a big school. Regionally I'll apply to UNM, Boulder, ASU. Do you think UNM would offer me a full ride? I've read that New Mexican law firms really prefer UNM students.

vonrus1

New

Postby vonrus1 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:12 pm

TurboMiguel95 wrote:First of all thank you for your replies. I was first afraid my terrible GPA would prevent me from getting accepted into any law school.

I know the idea of first working at a big law firm in the East coast and transition to be a solo immigration lawyer is crazy and unusual. The East coast big job is mostly just to make and save money. I plan on opening my own immigration office in El Paso TX. There's lots of immigration work here. Plan B would be to land a good Law firm job in Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Denver or around that area. They have a much nicer climate, flora and fauna than in El Paso. I'll be completely fine if I don't manage to land a big school. I'll apply broadly to some T13 T20 schools, maybe that 177 will land me a big school. Regionally I'll apply to UNM, Boulder, ASU. Do you think UNM would offer me a full ride? I've read that New Mexican law firms really prefer UNM students.

You're going to get in with big money to several of the good regionals in the Top 50, probably even good money to the Top 30, and possible money in the lower 13. You're a URM with a 177. Schools will pay for that joocy profile, GPA be damned.

LalSoHard

New

Postby LalSoHard » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:43 am

TurboMiguel95 wrote:First of all thank you for your replies. I was first afraid my terrible GPA would prevent me from getting accepted into any law school.

If you want to be in Texas go to UT. You should be able to get in with a decent scholarship. I know people who got money with <3.0 gpas and <<177 LSATs. If your goal is just to save money, you're much more likely going to be able to do it working somewhere like V&E or BB Houston than NY/DC/East Coast because of how much lower the cost of living and taxes are.

twiix

Silver

Postby twiix » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:23 am

It's also worth noting that for anything ranked below T20, you'll probably need a "Why X". With a 177, a lot of schools will see you as someone to yield protect, applying as a "backup plan", so you will need to show they why you actually want to go to their school. Your explanation of wanting to stay in the area you wish to practice and that you want to do immigration law is probably good for this. Just don't be surprised if you get denied from schools that you are overqualified for if you don't write one.

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:27 am

twiix wrote:It's also worth noting that for anything ranked below T20, you'll probably need a "Why X". With a 177, a lot of schools will see you as someone to yield protect, applying as a "backup plan", so you will need to show they why you actually want to go to their school. Your explanation of wanting to stay in the area you wish to practice and that you want to do immigration law is probably good for this. Just don't be surprised if you get denied from schools that you are overqualified for if you don't write one.

I don't know that flagship state schools are going to be suspicious of an obvious splitter. The OP isn't a sure thing at any top school because of that GPA.

Not saying a "Why [X]" statement is a bad idea, but I really don't think the OP is going to be a candidate for YP.

vonrus1

New

Postby vonrus1 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:27 am

OP you're in a much better position than you think you are.

TurboMiguel95

New

Postby TurboMiguel95 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:02 pm

Wow!!! This is so much more than what I had in mind. I always thought my gpa would be an impediment for getting into any law school. Thank you so much for everything. I'll be sure to apply early and broadly to get the most out of that 177. :D :D :D

m16532

New

Postby m16532 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:08 pm

What strategy got you a 177? :lol:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�