UC vs. CSU

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
standtriumphant
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:46 am

UC vs. CSU

Postby standtriumphant » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:01 am

Is there really a big difference when applying? If so, how big?

Im Hispanic with 5 years of living in mexico.
Current freshmen at CSULB.
Work for the Port of Los Angeles (clerk-type). will have 4 year work experience during school.
Obviously, haven't taken the LSAT.
And dont know what my finalized GPA would be.

Therefore, what should I do to distinguish myself.

User avatar
ricky1001
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:50 pm

Re: UC vs. CSU

Postby ricky1001 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:06 am

Well, you're already at a CSU. What I'll tell you is that your undergrad institution, in the eyes of law schools, is secondary to your LSAT and GPA. If you want to distinguish yourself, keep your grade point average up as high as you can, and I'd go as far as recommending that you familiarize yourself with the LSAT as quickly and intimately (so to speak) as possible. First things first, get your GPA and LSAT going right away. Everything else, clubs, sports, work experience, is a distant second to LSAT and GPA.

standtriumphant
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:46 am

Re: UC vs. CSU

Postby standtriumphant » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:10 am

Yeah, thanks.

the only reason why i posed the question is because i could still transfer out...

im guessing the answer is to just stay where im at. Therefore, possibly shoot for an honors program?

egrubs
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:55 pm

Re: UC vs. CSU

Postby egrubs » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:13 am

Shoot for highest possible GPA.

User avatar
sjk
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:14 am

Re: UC vs. CSU

Postby sjk » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:15 am

concur with egrubs...dont take useless classes. keep your gpa as high as you can. get involved in extracurriculars to make yourself unique.

User avatar
ricky1001
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:50 pm

Re: UC vs. CSU

Postby ricky1001 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:24 am

i concur with the previous poster but do nothing at the expense of your gpa!! trust me!! If you can't hack a job on the side, or a club without maintaining As, drop the extras and stick to classes exclusively.

User avatar
sjk
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:14 am

Re: UC vs. CSU

Postby sjk » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:26 am

oh i agree with you ricky...
do enough so that you arent just studying with no life...but do not let your gpa slide...

most important: hard factors (LSAT & GPA)
2nd important: soft factors (other stuff to prove you are well rounded)

User avatar
Faye Valentine
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:03 pm

Re: UC vs. CSU

Postby Faye Valentine » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:37 am

I agree that, ultimately, LSAT & GPA are definitely the most important. If you're applying with a 3.9+ and a score in the 170s, you'll be a strong applicant no matter what school you're coming from.

That said, I am at a CSU right now. When I started, I could have gone to a UC (or even transferred), but had really compelling reasons to stay in the CSU system (trust me). I have a fairly strong GPA, and an okay LSAT score in my opinion, and have done better than many have expected in this cycle so far. That said, I've looked at statistics of ugrads from certain UCs applying to Berkeley's Law School, and although my numbers put me at a lower than 10% chance of getting accepted, the acceptance rate for those applicants with almost the exact same numbers as me has over 75% chance.

I'm not sure exactly what you can deduct from that, but ultimately, this is how I looked at it: My experiences at my school have been wonderful. I have gotten an amazing eduction, and have been given the opportunity to study in a field that I might have otherwise never been exposed to. Additionally, I feel I was able to really thrive in my environment, specifically do to the advantages I was given as a student (which directly relate to my decision to stay in the CSU system).

My application is still active at Boalt, in case you're wondering. It survived Dean Tom's initial review and was sent to committee, and although I wasn't admitted through the first committee, I was lucky enough to have been kept in the running through a second deferral. They are my absolute top choice, as I've been wanting to go to Cal since I was 12 (no joke), and regardless of the ultimate outcome, I am honored to have at least made it this far, especially after being told by other members of this community that my numbers were too weak to really garner any hope of admission.

Point of my rant? Do well in your environment, thrive and enjoy yourself. Establish strong relationships with professors both inside and outside of the classrooms, and really set yourself apart from the other students. Strong LORs can really help, and I believe the lukewarm "this student received an A in my course" type of LORs does more damage than good. In fact, I think my LORs have something to do with my successes in this cycle so far.

User avatar
california9
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:15 am

Re: UC vs. CSU

Postby california9 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:21 am

standtriumphant wrote:Is there really a big difference when applying? If so, how big?

Im Hispanic with 5 years of living in mexico.
Current freshmen at CSULB.
Work for the Port of Los Angeles (clerk-type). will have 4 year work experience during school.
Obviously, haven't taken the LSAT.
And dont know what my finalized GPA would be.

Therefore, what should I do to distinguish myself.




GO BEACH!!!


get your GPA as high as you can and kick ass on the LSAT, you can go anywhere

CSULB is a good school

User avatar
kevsocko
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:18 am

Re: UC vs. CSU

Postby kevsocko » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:25 am

i'm from long beach born and raised, but csulb is not a good school- it is an average school.

User avatar
dangpeterrr
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:28 am

Re: UC vs. CSU

Postby dangpeterrr » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:40 pm

Faye Valentine wrote:That said, I am at a CSU right now. When I started, I could have gone to a UC (or even transferred), but had really compelling reasons to stay in the CSU system (trust me). I have a fairly strong GPA, and an okay LSAT score in my opinion, and have done better than many have expected in this cycle so far. That said, I've looked at statistics of ugrads from certain UCs applying to Berkeley's Law School, and although my numbers put me at a lower than 10% chance of getting accepted, the acceptance rate for those applicants with almost the exact same numbers as me has over 75% chance.


wait, so people who went to UC's that have the same numbers as you, have a 65% more chance of being accepted? am i understanding that right

User avatar
Ken
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:22 am

Re: UC vs. CSU

Postby Ken » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:19 am

I would actually recommend transferring to UC if you can. The UC system is highly regarded throughout the nation whereas many law schools are less familiar with and less impressed with the CSU system. I am a product of the UC system for undergrad and law school (Boalt/Berkeley), so I am biased and I am sure you can get an excellent education at CSULB, but I think you will be more successful when applying to law school coming from a UC.

Best of luck and hope to have you on the site for years to come as the site continues to expand.

Cheers,

Ken

Amiricanmade
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:58 am

Re: UC vs. CSU

Postby Amiricanmade » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:53 pm

BUMP

I'm in the same boat, i go to CSUF and am wondering if i should transfer out? If i have a strong GPA & LSAT and say a UC student has a GPA that's .1-.2 less than me and the same LSAT, would they be more favorable?

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: UC vs. CSU

Postby Knock » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:01 pm

Crap...i'm in the same boat as well -.-

Too late to transfer out though (currently a junior)

hopefully this won't hurt me too bad =\.......

so my 3.8 gpa or so is gonna be devalued a bit?

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: UC vs. CSU

Postby Knock » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:02 pm

Faye Valentine wrote:I agree that, ultimately, LSAT & GPA are definitely the most important. If you're applying with a 3.9+ and a score in the 170s, you'll be a strong applicant no matter what school you're coming from.

That said, I am at a CSU right now. When I started, I could have gone to a UC (or even transferred), but had really compelling reasons to stay in the CSU system (trust me). I have a fairly strong GPA, and an okay LSAT score in my opinion, and have done better than many have expected in this cycle so far. That said, I've looked at statistics of ugrads from certain UCs applying to Berkeley's Law School, and although my numbers put me at a lower than 10% chance of getting accepted, the acceptance rate for those applicants with almost the exact same numbers as me has over 75% chance.

I'm not sure exactly what you can deduct from that, but ultimately, this is how I looked at it: My experiences at my school have been wonderful. I have gotten an amazing eduction, and have been given the opportunity to study in a field that I might have otherwise never been exposed to. Additionally, I feel I was able to really thrive in my environment, specifically do to the advantages I was given as a student (which directly relate to my decision to stay in the CSU system).

My application is still active at Boalt, in case you're wondering. It survived Dean Tom's initial review and was sent to committee, and although I wasn't admitted through the first committee, I was lucky enough to have been kept in the running through a second deferral. They are my absolute top choice, as I've been wanting to go to Cal since I was 12 (no joke), and regardless of the ultimate outcome, I am honored to have at least made it this far, especially after being told by other members of this community that my numbers were too weak to really garner any hope of admission.

Point of my rant? Do well in your environment, thrive and enjoy yourself. Establish strong relationships with professors both inside and outside of the classrooms, and really set yourself apart from the other students. Strong LORs can really help, and I believe the lukewarm "this student received an A in my course" type of LORs does more damage than good. In fact, I think my LORs have something to do with my successes in this cycle so far.


If you don't mind me asking, what CSU did you attend, and what was your GPA/Major/LSAT?

Thanks

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: UC vs. CSU

Postby im_blue » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:02 pm

Amiricanmade wrote:BUMP

I'm in the same boat, i go to CSUF and am wondering if i should transfer out? If i have a strong GPA & LSAT and say a UC student has a GPA that's .1-.2 less than me and the same LSAT, would they be more favorable?


UC definitely won't make up for 0.2 GPA. Maybe 0.1 GPA but even that is debatable. If you want to distinguish yourself, kick the LSAT's ass.

User avatar
sjk
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:14 am

Re: UC vs. CSU

Postby sjk » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:25 pm

I went to a CSU and I'm a current 2L at Boalt. But I'm definitely the minority with that. Far more UC schoolers here.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: UC vs. CSU

Postby Knock » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:29 pm

sjk wrote:I went to a CSU and I'm a current 2L at Boalt. But I'm definitely the minority with that. Far more UC schoolers here.


If you don't mind me asking, what was your school/major/gpa/lsat?

User avatar
sjk
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:14 am

Re: UC vs. CSU

Postby sjk » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:37 pm

Transfered into Berkeley this year.
Last edited by sjk on Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: UC vs. CSU

Postby Knock » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:39 pm

sjk wrote:SJSU
History
3.3
162
Transfered into Berkeley this year.


Wow, what did you attend before you transfered and how well did you do in order to enable you to transfer? congratulations btw!

User avatar
sjk
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:14 am

Re: UC vs. CSU

Postby sjk » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:46 pm

I was top 10% at Santa Clara

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: UC vs. CSU

Postby Knock » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:49 pm

--
Last edited by Knock on Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amiricanmade
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:58 am

Re: UC vs. CSU

Postby Amiricanmade » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:42 pm

SJK,

Congratulation! You got into Berkley Law? That's fantastic. Way to rep for the CSU students.

SandyC877
Posts: 297
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:27 am

Re: UC vs. CSU

Postby SandyC877 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:02 pm

Know this. I'd rather have 3.6 with no extra-curricular activities than 3.4 with class president.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: UC vs. CSU

Postby Knock » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:27 pm

SandyC877 wrote:Know this. I'd rather have 3.6 with no extra-curricular activities than 3.4 with class president.


Why's that?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dondraper88, URM_lawnerd and 8 guests