Parental info on FAFSA??

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kpadoreo

New

Parental info on FAFSA??

Postby kpadoreo » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:09 am

Does anyone know if we need to include our parent's information on the FAFSA forms? My parents are not especially keen on having me include all their financial information until it's absolutely necessary. Additionally, could our parents' assets hurt our chances at receiving generous financial aid? My parents are retired but have significant assets. I will be 26 when I begin law school.
I know that the CSS Profile has to be filled out for most schools, but is this less information than that required by the FAFSA? I looked at the info they asked for and it seems pretty comprehensive. My situation is complicated by the fact that only one of my parents is a US citizen and thus they file taxes in Canada as well...

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: Parental info on FAFSA??

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:17 am

I know that CSS has replaced Need Access for most schools, so the rules have changed a little bit. But based on last year, your parental info is not needed for FAFSA if you will be considered an independent student. Their info may be needed for CSS, depending on the individual school's cutoff (my guess is that you will need it, because a lot of schools have a higher cutoff than 26).

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�