Retaking Classes you got an A in? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hinton2014

New

Retaking Classes you got an A in?

Post by hinton2014 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:42 am

Would this have an effect on the LSDAS GPA? Would it negatively impact me when applying? I only have 9 classes left after this semester that I need to take for my dual degree, but I won't be applying until next cycle of course. Would it be worth retaking some easy courses? I have a scholarship at my university, so the money is not an issue. It would potentially raise my GPA from a 3.87 to maybe a 3.9+.

BigZuck

Diamond

Re: Retaking Classes you got an A in?

Post by BigZuck » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:43 am

Your university would let you do that/give you credit if you did?

hinton2014

New

Post by hinton2014 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:46 am

BigZuck wrote:Your university would let you do that/give you credit if you did?

When I spoke with my advisor this past week, they said they don't care. They'll take my money if I want to do it.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:58 am

I'd probably reach out to LSAC and ask this question and see what they say. That's probably your best bet.

echonov

New

Post by echonov » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:16 am

I'm not sure how LSAC would view it, but it sounds like a waste of time for you. I imagine that a particularly diligent adcom might notice and find it odd, as well.

If you're mostly concerned with GPA, are there not any other easy classes you could take? Or you could put that extra time into making sure you get good grades in your other classes. Or try to take on some other projects -- extracurricular activities or hobbies or learning something fun.

It just doesn't sound like a worthwhile idea, to me, when time is already such a precious commodity.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hinton2014

New

Post by hinton2014 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:24 am

echonov wrote:I'm not sure how LSAC would view it, but it sounds like a waste of time for you. I imagine that a particularly diligent adcom might notice and find it odd, as well.

If you're mostly concerned with GPA, are there not any other easy classes you could take? Or you could put that extra time into making sure you get good grades in your other classes. Or try to take on some other projects -- extracurricular activities or hobbies or learning something fun.

It just doesn't sound like a worthwhile idea, to me, when time is already such a precious commodity.

Well, I'm not concerned about getting A's in my other courses at this point. I was looking at some easy online courses. I may just add a minor in something I just enjoy to my double major just so I get those extra classes. Will my increase in GPA after the Spring semester of next year matter in the application process, or will they pretty much just use the GPA after fall?

studyingeveryday

Silver

Post by studyingeveryday » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:46 am

Well, law schools often say they "look at the rigor and increasing difficulty of courses taken" throughout the undergraduate career. Of course, we don't know the extent to how much they take that into account, but just be aware.

You're in undergrad and money's not an issue, are you sure there aren't any easy, new classes you can't take? It would just be boring to retake a class, even for an A. Check out music or drama classes, or creative writing classes. At least try doing some research first to see!

echonov

New

Post by echonov » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:54 am

hinton2014 wrote: Well, I'm not concerned about getting A's in my other courses at this point. I was looking at some easy online courses. I may just add a minor in something I just enjoy to my double major just so I get those extra classes. Will my increase in GPA after the Spring semester of next year matter in the application process, or will they pretty much just use the GPA after fall?
That sounds like a much better idea. Apps are important, but you also have to live your life -- studying something you're interested in is way more fun than redoing a class you've already succeeded in.

As for the GPA, let me make sure I'm understanding correctly: you're a junior right now, planning on applying next fall, and you want to know if your winter 2017 grades will impact your chances? From what I understand, it depends at least somewhat on when you apply. If you apply early, your grades won't have come out yet, and there's always a chance schools will make their decision before they would anyways. My understanding is that people often send updated transcripts after they've applied to schools, but I can't really vouch for how much that impacts the decisions. Sorry!

ETA: This is actually being discussed here! http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=270509

toobig2lose

New

Post by toobig2lose » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:17 pm

It's a waste of time. And the Admission Officer might be confused why you took two courses of the same topic. Don't do it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”