LSAC Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bagelofthedamnd

New

LSAC Forum

Postby bagelofthedamnd » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:45 am

There is an LSAC Forum near me in a few weeks. What should you do at those other than look for fee waivers? What info can you get there that isn't readily available on their website? Should I hold off sending my applications until I talk to these people?

cavalier1138

Gold

Re: LSAC Forum

Postby cavalier1138 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:57 pm

You can, if you're paying close attention, get a real sense of the school's culture, and depending on what you want to do, that could be important. I know that I didn't bother applying to Chicago after going to one of these because they made it quite clear that they had no real interest in fostering PI careers. That isn't to say that people can't get a good PI career out of Chicago (of course they can), but I didn't want to be at a school that so clearly didn't value it as much as the traditional corporate/clerkship route.

But other than that, no. Fee waivers and free food.

bagelofthedamnd

New

Postby bagelofthedamnd » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:27 pm

That's funny, because I went to Columbia and all I saw was PI. They put it front and center. All our tour guides and all they talked about was PI. Then I found out they were probably the most corporate of the T-14. Any good to really get a look at culture?

Do they just hand out fee waivers or do you have to work for them?

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:27 am

bagelofthedamnd wrote:That's funny, because I went to Columbia and all I saw was PI. They put it front and center. All our tour guides and all they talked about was PI. Then I found out they were probably the most corporate of the T-14. Any good to really get a look at culture?

Do they just hand out fee waivers or do you have to work for them?

Like I said, it's something you have to watch for and dig a little bit to find. But that said, Columbia (Northwestern too, actually) is trying to up its PI game to compete with NYU. But yes, you need to look at the reality behind the claims. Every school will tell you, "We have a great PI focus." But, for example, try asking Chicago about how you could focus on international human rights law. They will point to their great international programs, every single one of which is in and/or related to China. That's what I mean by digging around: the admissions officers will feed you canned lines, but they also can't tell you about programs or alumni that don't exist.

And you pretty much just have to show up to get a lot of the fee waivers. Some of them come later after you give them your contact info. But a number of schools just hand them out there.

BobBoblaw

Bronze

Postby BobBoblaw » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:59 am

Last edited by BobBoblaw on Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shakawkaw

Gold

Postby Shakawkaw » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:58 pm

Do gunners show up in suits? 8)

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:54 am

BobBoblaw wrote:So, theoretically, if someone already had an LSAC fee waiver for being destitute, would there be much point at all to attending one of these forums?

No.

Shakawkaw wrote:Do gunners show up in suits? 8)

Gunners show up in suits to have coffee with a 2L. They rent a tuxedo for an auspicious event like an LSAC forum.

Shakawkaw

Gold

Postby Shakawkaw » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:52 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
BobBoblaw wrote:So, theoretically, if someone already had an LSAC fee waiver for being destitute, would there be much point at all to attending one of these forums?

No.

Shakawkaw wrote:Do gunners show up in suits? 8)

Gunners show up in suits to have coffee with a 2L. They rent a tuxedo for an auspicious event like an LSAC forum.

Do they do fee waivers based on stats, like soliciting formally involves?

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:44 pm

Shakawkaw wrote:Do they do fee waivers based on stats, like soliciting formally involves?

The ones that take your contact information usually do. But other schools literally hand out fee waiver codes to everyone who stops by their table.

masterz

New

Postby masterz » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:04 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
Shakawkaw wrote:Do they do fee waivers based on stats, like soliciting formally involves?

The ones that take your contact information usually do. But other schools literally hand out fee waiver codes to everyone who stops by their table.

Do most top 30 schools hand out fee waivers or they mostly take your contact info to check your stats?

cavalier1138

Gold

Postby cavalier1138 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:17 am

masterz wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

Do most top 30 schools hand out fee waivers or they mostly take your contact info to check your stats?

No idea. The only LSAC-run forum I went to only had the T14 there.

Look, this costs you zero money and a minimal amount of time. If you're curious, go. This should not be a decision you agonize over.

haus

Gold

Postby haus » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:54 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
masterz wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:

No idea. The only LSAC-run forum I went to only had the T14 there.

Look, this costs you zero money and a minimal amount of time. If you're curious, go. This should not be a decision you agonize over.

It has been a few years since I went to a LSAC forum, but the one I attended had a wide array of schools. My school selection process was different than most as I was only interested in schools with part-time programs in specific geographical locations. I think everyone I spoke with (maybe one exception) offered fee waivers.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum�