decent ugpa, abysmally low grad gpa Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
blackwidow

New

decent ugpa, abysmally low grad gpa

Post by blackwidow » Fri May 06, 2016 3:15 am

Hello there,

It's my first time posting a question here so in case i break a rule or two inadvertently, I apologize in advance.

I am currently in a physics phd prgram at one of top 5 institutions but lost passion for my research topic and I've always thought of going to law school following my dad's advice.

I am at the end of my second year in the program and I do have a master's degree to show for my time spent after my undergraduate.

I have a decent undergraduate gpa, 3.79 with a dual degree in math and physics.

But my graduate school gpa stands at 3.0 (physics graduate school is all about research and I just did the bare minimum to pass my general exams)

Is my extremely low graduate school degree gpa going to destroy my chances of being admitted to law school?

Both my undergraduate and graduate schools are two of the top 5 physics programs.
Last edited by blackwidow on Fri May 06, 2016 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

t-14orbust

Gold

Re: decent ugpa, abysmally low grad gpa

Post by t-14orbust » Fri May 06, 2016 3:15 am

It will likely have no effect at all. UGPA is what counts

blackwidow

New

Post by blackwidow » Fri May 06, 2016 3:16 am

t-14orbust wrote:It will likely have no effect at all. UGPA is what counts
thank you for such a quick response

what about my graduate degree and the fact that i have a strong science/math background?

Will it help at all?

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Fri May 06, 2016 3:17 am

blackwidow wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:It will likely have no effect at all. UGPA is what counts
thank you for such a quick response

what about my graduate degree and the fact that i have a strong science/math background?

Will it help at all?
Maybe slightly but not close to as much as a strong LSAT.

t-14orbust

Gold

Post by t-14orbust » Fri May 06, 2016 3:20 am

I just noticed that you're contemplating law school based on your dad's advice. That's a terrible reason. Please do more research on what it means to be a lawyer before you spend 3 years of time and lost income, and take out potentially substantial debt to enter a profession you might end up despising just because your dad said it might be a good idea. The notion that law school "opens doors" is perpetuated by boomers because it actually was true back in the day, but is no longer the case. Only go to law school if you know you want to be a practicing attorney and have a good idea of what that entails. Good luck

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blackwidow

New

Post by blackwidow » Fri May 06, 2016 3:23 am

t-14orbust wrote:I just noticed that you're contemplating law school based on your dad's advice. That's a terrible reason. Please do more research on what it means to be a lawyer before you spend 3 years of time and lost income, and take out potentially substantial debt to enter a profession you might end up despising just because your dad said it might be a good idea. The notion that law school "opens doors" is perpetuated by boomers because it actually was true back in the day, but is no longer the case. Only go to law school if you know you want to be a practicing attorney and have a good idea of what that entails. Good luck

thank you for the advice.

you do raise a really good question regarding my motive as to why i would wanna go to law school.

i will have to think more about it but i do already have a pile of LSAT books so it's something i have thought about for many years.

Danny Mothers

Bronze

Post by Danny Mothers » Fri May 06, 2016 6:23 am

Find a new topic. Switch advisors or something. Dont just drop out of a really good gig because it's a little hard. You're too smart for law.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Fri May 06, 2016 6:42 am

Danny Mothers wrote:Find a new topic. Switch advisors or something. Dont just drop out of a really good gig because it's a little hard. You're too smart for law.
This

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Fri May 06, 2016 10:01 am

Your undergrad GPA is what counts. Your grad work will only be considered a soft at most.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Fri May 06, 2016 10:03 am

I left my phd to go to law school. I regret it every day. Find a new advisor and reset. 2 years in isn't that long and you can still switch topics/advisors, etc.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri May 06, 2016 10:07 am

Danny Mothers wrote:Find a new topic. Switch advisors or something. Dont just drop out of a really good gig because it's a little hard. You're too smart for law.
A PhD is physics is not actually always a really good gig. Staying in a PhD program if you don't want to do physics research is a really bad idea.

WhiteCollarBlueShirt

Bronze

Post by WhiteCollarBlueShirt » Fri May 06, 2016 10:24 am

depending on your field, given your quant-looking background, you might want to consider giving the private sector a go for a year or two before committing to even more schooling (and entering a field where people joke on a daily basis about how bad they are at numbers).

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Fri May 06, 2016 10:28 am

Yeah you seem way too smart to become a lawyer. Do something cooler/more interesting with your life.

That being said, I have a feeling someone who has the brain to get accepted into a prestigious physics grad program would kick the LSAT in the face, so there's that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”