background question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
boomboom1

New

background question

Post by boomboom1 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:21 pm

Do US law school applications or the ABA ( after you graduate law school and are applying for the bar) ask you if you have been convicted of a crime in Canada?

been wondering this for a long time? if anyone can answer this I would really appreciate it!

thanks!

BoomBoom

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: background question

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:38 pm

Usually any applications that ask if you've ever been convicted of a crime just ask if you've ever been convicted and don't limit the question to the US, so yes.

boomboom1

New

Post by boomboom1 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:43 pm

Hmm, so I guess another question would be, do law schools or the ABA do background checks that include Canada? Most likely going to apply to schools in Cali or Texas and same with the Bar. If I leave out a minor arrest in Canada (misdemeanor), will a law school or the ABA find out?

thanks!!

nicknar

Bronze

Post by nicknar » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:32 pm

boomboom1 wrote:Hmm, so I guess another question would be, do law schools or the ABA do background checks that include Canada? Most likely going to apply to schools in Cali or Texas and same with the Bar. If I leave out a minor arrest in Canada (misdemeanor), will a law school or the ABA find out?

thanks!!
Leaving out a minor arrest would likely be considered a significantly more egregious offense than the arrest itself. Seriously do not lie about this sort of thing.

Nachoo2019

Silver

Post by Nachoo2019 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:39 pm

boomboom1 wrote:Hmm, so I guess another question would be, do law schools or the ABA do background checks that include Canada? Most likely going to apply to schools in Cali or Texas and same with the Bar. If I leave out a minor arrest in Canada (misdemeanor), will a law school or the ABA find out?

thanks!!
If it is a misdemeanor arrest just disclose. Disclosing is TCR because they literally do not care about some misdemeanor.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:03 pm

nicknar wrote:

thanks!!
Leaving out a minor arrest would likely be considered a significantly more egregious offense than the arrest itself. Seriously do not lie about this sort of thing.
I do some work advising clients about professional licensure and appealing character and fitness disqualifications. I completely agree with nicknar. For most of my clients, dishonesty with the bar is a bigger problem than the underlying incident. Disclose.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”