UK Undergraduate applying for an American Law School Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
andydamo

New

UK Undergraduate applying for an American Law School

Post by andydamo » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:41 pm

I am currently an undergrad student in England studying Mathematics. I wish to go to the law school in the States, preferably T14.

I have several questions, and a concern I would say, about my undergraduate performance record and how LSAC/T14 law schools would judge it.
I know many of you are not familiar to the British grading system. Normally our degree is be divided into classes instead of GPA numbers, and those are First Class Honours, Upper Second, Lower Second, Third, and the rest are fail. I have heard that the LSAC will not produce LSAC gpa for foreign undergraduates but instead they classify them into bands which are superior, above average, average, and below average. As fare as I have heard, first class graduates are usually classified as superior.
However when I was a first year student, I was not motivated enough to concentrate well on exams so I consequently failed the whole exam. Failure to progress to second year was followed by failure of first year exams. I had to take a year out and retake my exams to go back to the college. This is some kind of academic probation to punish exceptionally underperforming students and I was one of them.
After coming back to college I tried my best and achieved 1st class honours (78%) during my second year of study (which was last year) and I am aiming for first class again this year.
I would like to ask how bad the matter will be of failing the first year of university. In my school, first year grades only count as 10% of the degree which means I can definitely get 1st in the whole degree if I get first this year. My question is will I still be classified as superior if I get first in my whole degree, even if I failed my first year? In my transcript, it will show that I have retaken the exam of failed modules, but the original grades does not appear on it. If this is the case will LSAC classify me as superior? Will I still have a chance to break into T14 with this undergraduate performance and LSAT score? I am planning to write an addendum explaining why I got such a bad result during my first year, and how I have improved it. I also would like to know if this addendum will increase the chance of being admiited to T14.

P.S I am a tri-national with Korean, Japanese, and US passport. My parents are Korean and Japanese - father and mother respectively, and I was born in the America. I am sure I am one of the bizarrely unique students applying to US law school. A tri-national with a UK undergraduate degree..

grades??

Silver

Re: UK Undergraduate applying for an American Law School

Post by grades?? » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:03 pm

Just get a first and you will be set.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”